Categories Module
Collapse

Article Tags

Article Tags Module
Collapse

Latest Articles

Latest Articles Module
Collapse

• Kendo World Issue 3.4 Available on Kindle now !!!!
    snooz2k2
    Buy a Kindle ebook version here

Print version: Out of print

Content Editorial: the yin and the yangs 13th World Kendo Championships Starting Over - USA vs JAPAN Chewing the Fat - Abe Tetsushi Alex Bennet 3 years for 3 days for 3 minutes Thoughts on the Japanese defeat Book Mark 1: the warriors path 21st European Kendo Championships Hanshi Says - Shimano Masahiro Nuts and Bolts of kendo: nuki-waza Book Mark 2: katori shinto-ryu Reidan-jichi - part 4: training sWords of wisdom: hei-tenka-no-ken Kendo Clinic: knee injuries in kendo - part two Makita Minoru sensei: kendo to me - the attraction The Formation of Japanese Budo Culture - ryuha kenjutsu Kendo that cultivates people - Part 2 / 3 Unlocking Japan - part 12: when in Rome Internationalization ...
    11th April 2013, 01:30 PM
  • Kendo World Issue 4.1
    snooz2k2

Content Editorial The Bokuto 55th All Japan Kendo Championship 46th Womens All Japan Championship East vs West The 53rd Tozai Taiko 2007 The Current Kendo Refereeing System: Room for Improvement Ishimatsu Shugyo Trip: a Play On Words Japanese Myths & the Significance of the Sword Teaching In a Foreign Language Talk With Your Kensen: Sekishinkan in Hong Kong Do You Believe in Miracles? Diplomacy, Budo and Love Historical Sightseeing No.2: Unganzenji Temple The China Connection Bushido in the past and in the present Part II Breathing in Kendo Kata DVD Review: All Japan Kendo Championships 1996-1999 Reidan-jichi part 5: Ab...
    4th February 2013, 06:45 AM
  • Kendo World Issue 6.3
    snooz2k2

Buy a paper copy here

Editorial
    By Michael Ishimatsu-Prime
    First, the editorial by Michael Ishimatsu-Prime reflects on a busy year for Kendo World, and discusses the furore surrounding Shōdai Kenji, the 2008 AJKC winner and Japan national team member.

Hanshi Says
    By Kumamoto Tadashi
    Hanshi Says is a popular series in which Japans top Hanshi teachers give hints of what they are looking for in grading examinations based on wisdom accumulated through decades of training. This issue features Kumamoto Tadashi from Hiroshima. Kumamoto-sensei passed the 8-dan examination in 1987, and was awarded the title of Hanshi in 1995. He talks about the importance of degeiko and making the most of the opportunities that you have.

Kendo and Aspergers: One Mans Story
    By Charlie Kondek
    This article focuses on Ted Koehler, a member of the kendo club at Eastern Michigan University who has Aspergers Syndrome. Charlie Kondek discusses the challenges associated in teaching someone with Aspergers, and how training can be adapted so that they can get the most out of kendo.

Nutsn
    25th December 2012, 08:17 PM
  • Kendo World Issue 6.2
    snooz2k2

Buy a paper copy here

Editorial
    By Alex Bennett PhD
    First, my editorial takes a look at the recent WKC held in Novara, Italy. our tri-annual foray onto kendos world stage is becoming less predictable in terms of results, and which of the traditional kendo values will be tested by fire. The various incidents experienced at the recent WKC have us all questioning purported and personal kendo values. This has to be a good thing.

The Nuts and Bolts of Kendo: What is Kyojitsu?
    By Nakano Yasoji (Hanshi 9-dan)

Nakanno-sensei explains the intricacies of identifying your opponents mental preparedness and lapses. A vital skill for reaching the higher ranks of kendo. If you do not take kyojitsu into consideration, the technique will not be as successful. There is kyo and jitsu contained in every movement. If you can discern this, then you will know the optimum opportunity to attack.

Hanshi Says Hanshi Says is a popular series in which Japan's top Hanshi teachers give hints of what they are looking for in grading examinations based on wisdom accumulated through decades of training. This ...
    6th August 2012, 07:35 AM
  • Kendo World - a Cumulative Table of Contents
    snooz2k2

Introduction
    When I decided to make a cumulative table of content for the five first volumes of your favorite magazine, I had several things in mind.
    First, I knew that it will help me a lot for my researches. I will finally be able to find quickly an article that has been lost for years in the maze of my memory.
    But, I guess that I am not the only kendoka who can read and who want to improve his general knowledge about the art.
    Since others might also be willing to use the wealth of information disseminated in the 20 issues of Kendo World -that is 2153 pages-, I have decided to print my work.
    I am sure it will be useful to many. At least it should be... It could make the difference in your next 8th dan grading!
    Second, I thought that it would be easy and fast to do. What a nice way to have one more line in my Curriculum Vitae! I was unfortunately wrong about that second point. But, as Confucius said to his disciples: no pain, no gain!
    This general table of context should normally have been followed by an index. In this case, this work would have been easily three times bigger. Therefore, I have decided, for the sake of the Amazonian Forest, not to write it.
    Instead I have classified the articles under general and/or precise categories. In some cases, the same article has been placed under different headings. That should help the reader to find quickly an article of interest.
    In some case, I had to change the original title. My friends from the editorial board having been sometimes without consistency or having simply made typo mistakes.
    Therefore, the first object of this table of content is to allow to find quickly an article. It is NOT a bibliography where the references can just be copied and used elsewhere. In this case, you should always crosscheck my reference with the original title of the article.
    I didn't mention systematically the translator's or the photograph's names. It doesn't mean that I don't respect their work... how could it be? I just choose that option to make the table shorter and clearer. Again, I will ask the reader to go to the original paper to find all these information.
    Here is the structure of this table:

Sergio Boffa

History

Bushido, Budo, Philosophy & Spirituality
    An., Defining Budo, 2009, vol. 4-4, p. 3.
    Abe Tetsushi, Cultural Friction in Budo, 2005, vol. 3-2, pp. 8-17.
    Bennett, Alex, Editorial, 2004, vol. 2-4, pp. 4-5 [about the Budo Charter].
    Bennett, Alex, The Beginner's Guide to Bushido, 2004, vol. 2-4, pp. 50-56.
    Hellman, Christopher, Confucian Voices in Swordsmanship, The Jseishi Kendan, 2011, vol. 5-4, pp. 67-71.
    Inoue, Yoshihiko, Hokkai-Join and Reflections on the Meaning of Mokuso, 2001, vol. 1-1, pp. 13-16.
    Ishimatsu-Prime, Michael, Celebrating the Dead, 2009, vol. 5-1, pp. 64-65 [about 47 rnin].
    Ishimatsu-Prime, Michael, Bushido - Real and Invented, 2010, vol. 5-2, pp. 4-11.
    Kirchner, Thomas, Zen & the Martial Arts, 2010, vol. 5-2, pp. 107-109.
    Maeder, Stephan, The Adventure of the Way of the Sword in the 21st Century, Part 5: Bushido - Just Another Anachronism?, 2010, vol. 5-2, p. 47.
    Moate, Sarah, Zen Calligraphy and Painting of Yamaoka Tessh at the V&A, 2008, vol. 4-2, pp. 15-17.
    Moate, Sarah, Bushido, The Zen Calligraphy of Katsu Kaish and Takahashi Deish, 2008, vol. 4-3, pp. 84-87.
    Moate, Sarah, Suigetsu, "The Moon in Water", The Zen calligraphy of Yamaoka Tessh and Terayama Tanch, 2009, vol. 4-4, pp. 98-101.
    Nagy, Stephen Robert, Internationalization of Budo Culture, Important Question for the Future of Budo, 2007, vol. 3-4, pp. 84-90.
    Rothmar, Tyler, Kendo in Context, 2007, vol. 3-4, pp. 154-156.
    Takemura, Eiji and Ishimatsu-Prime, Michael, The Role of Confucianism and Swordsmanship in the Bakumatsu Period, 2008, vol. 4-3, pp. 56-57.
    Tanaka, Mamoru, Budo in an Age of Diversification, 2004, vol. 2-4, pp. 63-68.
    Uozumi, Takashi, Ryuha Kenjutsu, The Formation of Japanese Budo Culture, 2007, vol. 3-4, pp. 68-75.
    Wells, Ken, Budo & Business, 2003, vol. 2-1, pp. 34-35.

Bushido in the Past and in the Present (by John Toshimichi Imai (1906) and introduced by Alex Bennett).
    Part 1: Bushido - What it is, and what it is not, 2007, Vol. 3-4, pp. 114-117.
    Part 2: Bushido as Represented by a Typical Master, 2007, Vol. 4-1, pp. 44-49.
    Part 3: Bushido as Represented in the Historic Dramas, 2008, Vol. 4-2, pp. 76-83.
    Part 4: Bushido in the Present, 2008, Vol. 4-3, pp. 78-82.

Tales of the Samurai (by Miyamori A. (1920) )
    Chapter 1: Ungo-Zenji, 2004, Vol. 3-1, pp. 22-27.
    Chapter 2: The Loyalty of a Boy Samurai, 2005, Vol. 3-2, pp. 52-55.
    Chapter 3: Katsunos Revenge, 2006, Vol. 3-3, pp. 122-135.
    Chapter 4: A Wedding Present, 2007, Vol. 3-4, pp. 118-126.
    Chapter 5: The Heroism of Torii Katsutaka, 2007, Vol. 4-1, pp. 126-132.
    Chapter 6: The Wrestling of a Daimyo, 2008, Vol. 4-2, pp. 48-53.
    Chapter 7: The Story of Kimura Shigenari, 2008, Vol. 4-3, pp. 88-98.
    Chapter 8: Honest Kysuke, 2009, Vol. 4-4, pp. 50-58.

Historical Sightseeing (by Bruce Flanagan)
    N 001, Itsukushima Island, 2006, vol. 3-3, pp. 118-121.
    N 002, Unganzenji Temple, 2007, vol. 4-1, pp. 40-42.
    N 003, Meiji-Mura Museum, 2008, vol. 4-2, pp. 94-96.
    N 004, Sekigahara Town, Ancient battlefield sites, 2009, vol. 5-1, pp. 126-129. ...
    28th April 2012, 04:57 PM
  • Kendo World Issue 4.2
    snooz2k2

Content Editorial Noma Dōjō - Forging a New Tradition The 22nd European Kendo Championships 2008 Hachidan Taikai Report Zen Calligraphy and Painting of Yamaoka Tesshū at the V&A A Fusion of Old and New Tozando Shogoin Store Hanshi Says: Sonoda Masaji Kendo Inside Out Part 7: Kakari-geiko Reidan-jichi Part 6: Rei sWords of Wisdom: Tsuttatta-mi (Upright posture) Unlocking Japan Part 14: Thug School Ideas and History of the Sword Part 2: Ancient Japan and the Sword Talk With Your Kensen: Bangkok/Bangladesh Cherry Blossom Kendo. A Short History of Kendo in Washington D.C. Dōjō Files: Kendo Clubs in the South of Fr...
    28th April 2012, 04:12 PM
X
Article Display Module
Collapse

• Kendo World Issue 6.1

Buy a paper copy here

Content Outline

Editorial
    Alex Bennett (KW Editor-in-Chief)
    Be heedful even if you have a branch of the cherry tree in hand, for the wind will scatter the blossoms. A short reflection on the beauty of zanshin in kendo, and life in general.

Hanshi Says
    Tahara Hironori (Hanshi 8-dan)
    A series in which some of Japan's top Hanshi teachers give hints of what they are looking for in grading examinations based on wisdom accumulated through decades of training. Continuing kendo with an honest heart, you will feel the need to seek knowledge, and visiting any dojo will be an enjoyable experience rather than one that causes trepidation. If you are in search of something, training becomes a pleasure not a chore. But, you must never neglect kihon as this forms the very foundation of kendo. You must practise it over and over

The Great Wall of Four & Five
    Alex Bennett (Kendo R 7-dan)
    Yondan or godan holders will often be the highest rank in their dojo, or even country in some cases. This means that people aspiring for these ranks probably dont have many people they can seek guidance from, or emulate in their keiko. I have been asked with increasing frequency recently to offer guidance on what is required to pass these grades. As I will be sitting on a grading panel as an examiner for dan grades up to godan soon, I thought this would be a good opportunity to get my thoughts in order, and hopefully provide some useful advice for people who are struggling with these ranks, or are almost ready to sit them for the first time.

The Nuts n Bolts of Kendo: Zanshin and Sen
    Nakano Yasoji, (Kendo Hanshi 9-dan) Translated by Alex Bennett
    My teacher, Takano Sasaburō-sensei, often taught that zanshin was something akin to throwing water out of a cup, and when you put it down again, there is always a little bit left in the bottom. This is true zanshin

Jidai-geki and Chambara: A Discussion with Ishimatsu Yoshihiro
    Michael Ishimatsu-Prime
    Michael Ishimatsu-Prime interviews renowned samurai drama script writer, Ishimatsu Yoshihiro. Writing films is very difficult if I have no empathy with the main character or hero, and even the villain, especially as I may have to spend up to six months writing about them. Having empathy for the characters is the most important thing. This is also the same for modern day dramas, but it is especially so for jidai films, as nobody really knows what those types of people were like back then. In contrast, in films about modern times the characters are easily understood by viewers

Nonsense and Origins: An Inspiring Conversation with Victor Harris
    Scott Huegel
    Scott Huegel interviews the celebrated translator of Miyamoto Musashis Book of Five Rings. Speaking with Victor Harris brings you face to face with modern era kendo. It is not that he positions himself this way, or by any measure wants to be a spokesperson, but when discussing kendo he has an undeniable skill for communicating a clear representation of where he believes things have been, where they are now, and where they should be going.

Reidan-jichi: Kihon Dōsa
    Ōya Minoru (Kendo Kyōshi 7-dan) Translated by Alex Bennett
    International Budo Universitys Ōya Minoru-sensei explains the various components of kamae and movement in great detail. The little finger of the left hand should fully grip the tsuka-gashira (bottom of the shinai handle). The tsuka is firmly (but not too powerfully) clasped in the order of the little finger, ring finger, and the middle finger as if holding onto an egg. The forefinger and thumb grip the tsuka lightly. Too much strength in the forefinger and thumb will

Kendo That Cultivates People Part 11: Further Development
    Sumi Masatake (Hanshi 8-dan) Translated by Honda Sōtarō
    International sensei extraordinaire, Sumi Masatake-sensei offers advice for older practitioners. Kendo is not about dominating your opponent and stifling their personality; if you have a true desire to improve yourself by learning from your seniors, then people will want to practise with you again, and you will not be avoided as an overly or excessively competitive practitioner

Shinai Sagas: Management Secrets of the Samurai
    Charlie Kondek
    The title of this piece is an affectionate jab at a body of business literature that seems to be a thing of the past. When I was a boy in the 1980s, and American fascination with Japanese economic success was at its height, it was not uncommon to see articles and books with titles like this one. Such things were among my first exposures to Japanese culture broadly, and Japanese martial arts specificallyBut with tongue in cheek and the same good intentions, I want to share principles I have encountered in my kendo life that have influenced my working life.

Kendos Not-so Common-sense: Kamae
    Nagao Susumu (Kendo Kyōshi 8-dan) Translated by Paul Benson
    Question: Why is it that many kendo kamae lead with the right hand and foot? And, what kamae are there besides chūdan and jōdan? In the rules of kendo, nowhere is it written that chūdan must lead with the right hand and foot, and that jōdan is jōdan only if it leads with the left foot...

Bujutsu Jargon
    Bruce Flanagan
    The first instalment in a series of reference articles featuring ancient and modern terminology related to Japanese bujutsu Bruce Flanagan.

sWords of Wisdom
    Alex Bennett
    The sword is for defeating the enemy, not for defence. Face the enemy, brace yourself for death, and attack. A quote by Tōgō Tōbei Shigetaka (1561~1643), founder of the infamous Jigen-ryū style of swordsmanship.

Unlocking Japan: Kendo & Football
    Lockie Jackson
    Lets not make any presumptions about proficiency based on nationality, whether in the dojo, or on the football field. Lockie Jackson makes an interesting comparison between expat Ozzies in Japan playing football, and expat Japanese in Australia doing kendo.

The Kendo Coach: Sports Psychology in Kendo Aggression in Kendo Part 1
    Blake Bennett
    Where is the line between violence and hard training in kendo? Considering its historical roots in Japans medieval combat methods, it is understandable that kendo retains a large element of intrinsic aggression. It is however, the instant where the control over this integral part of training is lost, that harmful intents and unrestrained emotions and impulses come to the fore and kendo potentially becomes a danger to its young participants.

Interview with Jodo Hanshi 8-dan FURUKAWA Shinya
    By Jeff Broderick & Yukie Saitō
    He was obviously very agitated. I just went up to him and said in a strong voice, Give me the sword! and held out my hand I told him I was arresting him for murder. Jeff Broderick interviews well-known police jodo teacher, Furukawa Shinya.

Recent Developments in Korean Kendo
    Professor Katō Junichi (Kendo K 7-dan) Translated by Michael Ishimatsu-Prime
    This article will introduce the new experimental system for Video Interpretation Appeals. Katō-sensei received from Korean kumdo officials three documents Regulations for Video Interpretation Appeals, the Report on the Implementation of Video Interpretation Appeals, and a questionnaire related to video appeals. He uses these as the basis for an analysis of the introduction of a video appeal system in some Korean tournaments, and the response it received after its implementation.

Strength to Strength
    Kate Sylvester
    Kate Sylvester talks to former World Champion and Osaka policewoman, Kondō Keiko (previously Baba Keiko) about her kendo career and life experiences.

The PNKF Womens Tournament

Elizabeth Marsten
    The Pacific Northwest Kendo Federations North American Womens Taikai is the official tournament started in 2001 by Jeff Marsten-sensei (Kyōshi 7-dan), and is held every three years in the greater Seattle area lovingly refer to it as chicks with sticks or just the Womens Taikai. Former Team USA member Elizabeth Marsten tells us what its all about.

The 10th Otsū Cup
    A Report by Trevor Jones
    October 23, 2011. On this date the tenth Miyamoto Musashi Kensho Joshi Kendo Taikai took place at the Musashi Budokan in Ohara. This tournament has continued to grow, not only in the number of participants, but also in importance as a sign of the popularity and increasing level of dedication and skill shown by women kenshi throughout Japan and the rest of the world.

The History of Womens Kendo
    Ozawa Hiroshi (Kendo Kyōshi 8-dan) Translated by Michael Ishimatsu-Prime
    What sort of character should women seek through doing kendo? Ozawa Hiroshi answers this question while explaining the exploits of Japans earliest women kendo pioneers and how they made their name in ostensibly a mans world.

Smile Kids Japan
    Trevor Chapman (Dojo Leader Kashi-no-ki Kenyukai, UK)
    In April, Trevor Chapman saw a TV programme about a charity called Smile Kids Japan. It was about a charity helping children, many whom had been orphaned and traumatised by the tsunami. They had lost their homes, belongings, toys, family and friends. He was so moved by this program that he felt his dojo, Kashi-no-ki Kenyukai in the UK could in some way raise money for this charity...

A Reflection on Reigi
    Taylor Winter
    Taylor Winter ponders the meaning of reigi and tradition in kendo. Does it matter? Upon asking the top sensei at my university, he took only a second of pondering before launching into one of his Yoda like explanations which usually leave me more confused... The clashes, he continued, were usually between tradition and convenience

Historical Sightseeing: The Shinsen-gumi
    Bruce Flanagan
    The lives and deeds of the members of the Shinsen-gumi will ever remain a source of controversy, intrigue, romance and swashbuckling drama for aficionados of Japanese history. Cloak and dagger accounts of espionage, assassination, political alliances, violent raids and sword duels abound, occasionally obscuring the line between fact and hearsay. Were they a security force nobly working to keep the peace in chaotic times, or merely a recruited band of bloodthirsty assassins?

Argentina: New Kendo Wave & Why it Matters
    Gabriel Weitzner
    Gabriel Weitzner investigates how is it possible to accomplish the growth seen in Argentinian kendo. The answer is the strong collaboration among all the people across Argentina, who possess common goals to preserve kendos values

Book Review
    Kurikara: The Sword and the Serpent, By John Maki Evans,
    Review by Taylor Winter
    In MikkyoJapanese esoteric Buddhismthe dragon Kurikara symbolises the internal energy developed through sword practice. Kurikara is a manifestation of the fierce bodhisattva Fudo MyoO, the patron of ascetics and warriors in Japan, who uses his sword to destroy delusions and sever attachments. Fudos sword represents the gaining of discriminative power and decisivenessthe ability to cut through illusion and attachment. This leads to the development of an inner energy that allows one to burn up all obstacles to spiritual freedom.

Jukendo no Kata Final part: TANKEN TAI TŌ NO KATA
    Baptiste Tavernier
    Tankendo literally means the way of the short sword. It is in fact the art of detached bayonet, as devised by the Japanese army during the Taishō period. Tankendo is nowadays an allied discipline of jukendo, within the All Japan Jukendo Federation. French jukendo expert, Baptiste Tavernier, introduces the tankendo kata.

Kendo World: A Cumulative Table of Contents
    Sergio Boffa
    A MONUMENTAL body of work. Dr. Boffa has created an invaluable database of all of the articles that have appeared in Kendo World to date. I knew that it will help me a lot in my own research... Since others might also be willing to access the wealth of information disseminated over the last twenty issues of Kendo World that is 2153 pages I decided to offer the fruits of my work for everybodys benefit. I am sure it will be useful to many a kendo aficionado. At least it should be... It could make the difference in your next 8-dan grading!
    Attached Files

• snooz2k2
      snooz2k2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed.
      Because we used to edit all the content of the file manually (takes hours and hours), but now everything is quite faster with the Indesign Kindle plugin... The only problem is that it does not handle well the page breaks yet...
      Working on it !

• Gin
      Gin commented
      Editing a comment
      1. can you start the e.magazine at the cover.
      2. can you also loop the e.magazine back to the beginning once we end it.
      3. 6.1, can't flip thru chapters.
      4. would like to read on the zen - kendo connection. Are there high ranking
      sensei's having this focus. The Sen article is great.

When will 6.2 come out or 4.4?

thank you,

jstn

• snooz2k2
      snooz2k2 commented
      Editing a comment
      1 It is possible to do, although it is more common for kindle file to open on the first page of the content. We will think about it.

2 I guess it is possible, I need to check the tags for that

3 Upgraded. We just uploaded the new version to Amazon. You should be able to get the update in about 2 days

4 hard to find. Deshimaru Taisen wrote a little bit on that subject, but it is in French. Don't know if there is an English translation.

5 6.2, not before this summer. 4.4 soon.

cheers
    Posting comments is disabled.
Working...
X