Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with a Fencer on a Kendo vs Fencing match?

Hello everyone..Im not sure if this belong here..but:

My friend who does Fencing has declared a toe-to-toe, Kendo vs Fencing match with me. I thought it would be a fun thing to try out, so I accepted. If this match does happen soon, can anyone give me any useful hints or strategies for this match?

I've been thinking about a few..like maybe sweeping his Epee/Saber, then go for a kote-men.. or if he attempts to do a thrust, I could try a hiki-men or a hiki-kote.

So, and tips or strategies, anyone?

Well first of all.. how experienced is your friend and how experienced are you? Another question... how is the scoring or winner to be determined and will there be judges that have enough knowledge in both arts to score?

Comment

There are several issues to consider. First, are your experiences (duration, skill level, etc) similar? If you are a low-dan grade and he/she is rather experienced, this may be an unfair test of skills. Additional, what kind of protective equiptment will you be wearing? A Fencer's eyes are protected more completely than a kenshi's, for logical reasons. If you use a shinai against the less solid fencing gear, you coud conceivebly influct serious injury. Also, who's scoring? What is a point? How long will you match? Can you more lateraly instead of linearly like a fencer. Consider all this before you compete.

Comment

If you want to make it work...put him(fencer) in bogu and you put on the fencing gear. That way he can strike you with the saber and you can strike him with the shinai.

Comment

About our experience, he is just a little bit more experienced than I am, so hes been in fencing for about 10 months and I have been in Kendo for 8 in-a-half months, and its not much of an advantage to him, and not a disadvantage for me.

Scoring: This we are still trying to decide on who will judge or not, and as for the scoring point, we will have 2 rounds.. and first round will be First Hit(Fencing), second would be to get the points by the targets on the body(Kendo), that way, we can split the way we get points. On both rounds I will go linear, so It can be more fair for him, or he can do dimensional on both, that is IF he can actually do it.

Protection: Now this might be strange but He thought of putting my extra bogu(not gi & hakama) on top of his fencing gear(without his helmet, of course). For protecting my eyes, I put some type of Clear Plastic covering on my mengane, and I can see pretty well and its quite durable. If the "bogu on-top-of the fencing gear" thing isnt good, then Ill probably let him use my spare tengui to protect his head, plus he can borrow my kote wrist protectors.

*And This wont happen after a while of planning and discussing..since I know it is complicated..
          Last edited by Kendoka_JD; 10th April 2006, 01:46 PM.

Comment

If you ask me,
            I find the whole concept a rather bad idea, and pointless.
            What is it supposed to prove?

Comment

The only way to do this silly ( but probably fun ) thing safely, is to
              do what Khaw said: switch gear. The unauthorized-piece-of-plastic-
              men-covering plan is REALLY dangerous. If you switch equipment, you
              can both have at it without holding back or worrying about killing
              each other.
              Oh, and good luck. If youre both equally fit and talented, my money says hell kick your butt as he will have advantage in speed and will have
              trained matches longer than you.

Best regards, have fun.

Comment

Nobody would go to battle with a rapier, anyway. There is no historical correlation/comparison.

Comment

But a one-on-one duel is hardly a battle, and duels were frequently fought
                  with rapiers. I dont think anyone would defend the historical value of this
                  match, its just fun to pretend to kill your friends.

Best regards.

Comment

This is one of the Gayest and Most retarded Thread I ever seen in my
                    life.

Comment

Well, I suppose that when Kendo is reffered to as Japanese fencing, this type of thing would eventually come up. If you ever figure this out, you should video tape the match and post it on here. It might make for a few shits and giggles.

Comment

That sounds like fun, I would like to see that if you do happen to record it.

Comment

there is a video of this on you tube the fencer wins tho

Comment

here is the sight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ST1wRzfgmI

if that doesnt work go to youtube and search for kendo vs

Comment

Sounds really fun.

I dont know how it is with everyone else but for me thinking strategies beforehand is totally useless. Im sure when the match starts you will forget most of what you planned. Just hit when you have a chance.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X