X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendo...

what's the first day like for some of you guys? 'cause I really wanna take it but I feel like I'll be left out and stuff...if y'all know what I mean. Like I don't have all the right attire or equipment to start and it's just so confusing!
    k peace

also I don't mean to be spamming but also I don't know how I would sign up and it seems a bit intimmidating if I'd have to go all the way there and talk straight up to the sensei...haha.

Comment

First thing to do if find where a club is and then just go. What have you got to lose. I've been doing kendo for nearly ten years and I started in tracksuit pants and a t-shirt. It depends on the club but they often have a beginners class or section. Give it a go.

Comment

Find a dojo, find out who the contact for that dojo is, give them a call and ask them about joining. Cos it's over the phone, you don't need to feel intimidated. Chances are they will either let you know when the next beginners' class is starting or tell you what you'll be doing as a beginner/what the structure is. That way you will know something of what to expect.

It's always intimidating walking into a new group of people but you'll be fine

Comment

thanks guys I feel better now.

Comment

Some dojo take beginners at any time and teach them off to the side of the regular class, and some take them only at certain times in a beginner's class. You'll probably feel more comfortable if the dojo has a beginners' class so that you are with a bunch of people who are new. Don't worry about not having any of the stuff - you won't be expected to. At most they will ask you to buy a shinai (bamboo sword) before starting class, they cost $20-$30 for a beginners' one.

Comment

I would sugguest going in and watching a class. I started in August last year, at a small dojo which made it easier to not be nervous about the whole meeting new people thing.

Comment

thanks guys
                the kendo community seems to be very friendly like my wrestling teammates!

Comment

most (if not all) dojos welcome beginners to come and watch their practices. Before I joined, I sat through 2 sessions (both beginners and advanced). I was also fortunate enough to have sensei & sempais to answer questions I had prior to joining.

I have to say, Kendo is not as easy as it appears to be - I thought I can handle an hour of smacking someone around with a bamboo, but to actually apply all the fundamentals and focus on every cut - it will take a life time, not to mention all the blisters and muscle aches.

Comment

I see. Reminds me of when I joined wrestling 'cause I wanted to learn how to body slam people...we never even got close to that lol. yeah I know in every sport you must work hard and it's no day at the beach. If my mom does let me do kendo (pretty sure she will) I will give it all my best effort to become a good kendoka (provided the mentality and focus wrestling has given me these past 4 years). Thanks for the tips so far guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X