Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

One (small) question about the wears for newbies!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One (small) question about the wears for newbies!

Once you start taking kendo, how long do they give you to have the proper attire when showing up for practice (as long as keikogi and hakama go)? It's just a question that really gets to me 0.o I'm pretty sure it differs from dojo to dojo but maybe a general answer (examples from everyone).
    Thanks!

In my case it was two months when sensei said I could wear it.

Comment

Usually beginners get gi and hakama after their footwork is correct.

Comment

ah I see thanks guys!

Comment

My club, it was just however long it takes to get to you from wherever you ordered it from.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by chewbooker
            Once you start taking kendo, how long do they give you to have the proper attire when showing up for practice (as long as keikogi and hakama go)? It's just a question that really gets to me 0.o I'm pretty sure it differs from dojo to dojo but maybe a general answer (examples from everyone).
            Thanks!
            In my dojo, it's until you decide to go down the street to the karate supply place and by a gi.

Comment

ah i see thanks guys!

Comment

Hmm... I was a little hasty when I made this decision. I ordered mine after the first training ;D Well, but it was fun. I love that stuff, how it looks and how it feels. But you shouldn't do this if your footwork isn't quite correct yet (I looked quite carefully at mine, so I think it was ok ;D ).

Comment

class

for the kendo class its reccomended to order and have it on the first day here at MSU , as far as footwork, sensei comes by and picks up your hakama with his shinai if he thinks its fishy

Comment

Four months after I started. Essentially, after one semester.

Comment

i got mine in 4 days, but i am pretty much getting private lessons with sensei.

Comment

Well, as this one experienced a revival...

I got my iai clothing about 2 months after starting, I still don't have specific kendogi+hakama, my black iaidogi+hakama have to be enough for now, it's just too expensive to buy everything at once... But I'm going to buy nice indigo coloured keikogi+hakama soon.

Comment

I got mine in first session.....

Comment

Originally posted by chewbooker
                            Thanks!

Dojos have different ways of doing this. The dojo I currently am at gives a test (intra dojo) for keiko gi, hakama and then another test for dou and tare and another for men since SCKF test for 3kyu and up.. I don't know about yours tho. Most likely they let you buy one a week or two after you join.

Comment

I think it's best just to ask your Sensei, since it can apparently go from four months into it to the first time you practice. Regardless, good luck and happy training. Tell us how you're fairing--especially once you get into your bogu.

Comment

Working...
                              X