X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions

Hi, im new to this forum, and i have a great love for the art of kendo. but i am concerned because my good friend Jin taught me Kendo, but not in an official dojo. i was taught privately at his home. My concern is that i have learned a good amount techniques, but i believe i am missing out on some important elements of the art. i was taught strictly attacking and countering techniques, and i am pretty good in a match, but i think there are other things i havent learned. i asked my friend if there was anything besides attacking and countering i could learn, but he replied with "i am teaching you everything." are there other aspeccts of this art i have not been taught? it just seemed wrong to me that there was no mention of the spiritual aspect, which seems to be one of the core areas of most if not all martial arts. thanks in advance.

I got nothing more to say than if you really want to practice kendo try to find dojo near you. Watch one or two practices, if you are interested ask if you can join them. That way youll get to learn real kendo. Best way to learn is in the dojo with sensei and other students. If your friend does kendo and is good at it I think he hasnt teached you anything wrong but might have missed something that you learn from dojo.

Comment

No one can teach you everything, even the best sensei. Much that there is to learn in kendo needs to be discovered on your own while working through the usual assortment of drills and practicing with many others in a normal dojo. The spiritual stuff usually isn't directly instructed since it is open to interpretation. So ya... get to a dojo if you really want to learn. Your friend may or may not be teaching you properly, but you need the interaction with many others to really learn. Different techniques work against different people and you need a group so you don't get into a rut from only going against one person's style.

Comment

May I ask what rank the guy teaching you is?

Comment

Part of what you need to learn can only be discovered if you train under a sensei with a great number of other people both stronger and weaker than yourself. If your friend has taken the time to train with you, he/she would also likely benefit from training in a dojo with a strong sensei.

Comment

thank you all for your feedback. i tried to locate a dojo nearby, but the only one is an hour and a half away and thats too far to drive. thats why i started training with my friend. i can see how training with others would help. i have one other question as well: can i still enter tournaments and competitions or do i need to be a member of an official dojo ( i mean one that is part of a kendo federation)?

Newbie- he told me he is 2nd dan, but i have nothing to go on but his word. he is a trustworthy guy though.

Comment

I expect you'll need to be a member of the host organisation. Whereabouts are you in the US?

Comment

i'm located in richmond, virginia.

Comment

Had a couple of minutes, so I went to the forum entitled DOJO, and looked in the sticky that Hamish put at the top of that forum entitled NEED A DOJO? LOOK HERE FIRST. I then followed the links for the U.S. Kendo Federation, looked up dojo by state. Looked at Virginia and, lo and behold ... Kendo in Richmond, Virginia ...

http://www.koryomartialarts.org/kendo/

Why do people ask questions before bothering to look for answers first?

Sorry King, but it's one of my pet peeves.

I have a lot of them ...

Comment

hey i didnt ask where a dojo was located! i said specifically that the only one nearby was an hour and a half away. so maybe try reading the rest of the posts next time?

Comment

Bloody hell! How big is Richmond? You can't drive across the city in an hour and a half? Not going on walking holidays there...

Comment

what do you mean? no it doesnt take an hour and a half to cross richmond, but i couldnt find a dojo in the city. the nearest one i saw was outside of it... way outside.

Comment

pgsmith- forgive me for being hasty in reading your message. i didnt read it completely, but i snapped at you saying you didnt read the previous posts. sorry about that. i looked at the link and i plan to go check out this dojo. thank you for your help. again i apologize for being an a$$.

Comment

pgsmith- forgive me for being hasty in reading your message.
                            As our Aussie friends say ... No worries mate! I'm just glad that you're going to go check out the dojo. It's really the only way to actually learn kendo properly.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Blades
                              Hi, im new to this forum, and i have a great love for the art of kendo. but i am concerned because my good friend Jin taught me Kendo, but not in an official dojo. i was taught privately at his home. My concern is that i have learned a good amount techniques, but i believe i am missing out on some important elements of the art. i was taught strictly attacking and countering techniques, and i am pretty good in a match, but i think there are other things i havent learned. i asked my friend if there was anything besides attacking and countering i could learn, but he replied with "i am teaching you everything." are there other aspeccts of this art i have not been taught? it just seemed wrong to me that there was no mention of the spiritual aspect, which seems to be one of the core areas of most if not all martial arts. thanks in advance.
                              If your friend is a kendoka, where does he train? Cant you get a lift with him? If he's not training, how long has it been since he did?? what the hell is he doing teaching other people?? I used to drive 4 hours a week to learn golf and I hated the damn sport. If you enjoy kendo and really want to improve a 1.5hr drive wont be that bad.

In my personal (and possibly offensive) opinion, your friend is an ass. Was he the one that had the opinion that the dojo was too far away? He has deprived you of all the wonderful benefits of being part of a dojo, being part of a club, the etiquite that goes with that, being able to practise with a variety of people, the experience of gradings, shiai, etc etc. If he really wanted you to become a good kendoka he would have made sure you joined a dojo, made sure you were a member of the appropriate associations etc.

I could teach someone to be a geo at home, if I was arrogant enough not to realise that Id be putting them at a BIG disadvantage when they decided to go to university to do it - I cant show them the wide variety of stuff you learn when you have 6 or so professors to do it. Its very hard for someone who thinks they already know about something to learn it the proper way from scratch.

Good on you for getting on here to find out if youre missing out on stuff in your training!! Now get into that dojo!! Youll love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X