X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in both

I'm new to kendo/iaido and i had a question. I found a dojo that is relatively close to my house and it teachs both kendo and iaido. The school charges only $40 a month for kendo lessons. However there's a iaido class before the kendo class and if you take both there's no extra charge. I'm more interested in kendo but i've been looking into iaido and it's starting to catch my interest. If i take both classes will it be benificial towards my kendo or will it hold me back. I know that there are a few people on the message board that do both but i'm not sure if they're doing both at the same time or stopped on and started anouther.

This depends on the person I think. Some of the older guys in my iai dojo say that iai complaments their kendo. One fellow who is 6 dan in kendo but has only been doing iai for 3 year says that it brought his trainning full circle.
    I on the other hand, just beginning iai myself, found that my kendo training made some of the basics of iai kind of awkward. Not particularly hard, just akward.
    All I can say for sure is that if I were in your position, I would take advantage of such a great opportunity.

Comment

Take both! You will benefit in both arts by studying both together. Stances, strikes, metsuke, and so on can all be used similarly. Not only that, but it gives you a better cultural picture and history of Japanese swordsmanship, it's tradition and etiquette.
      I only stopped doing kendo because I got a bad hernia in my back. Otherwise I'd still be doing that as well as my iaido.
      Good luck!

Comment

Indeed - it's a great opportunity. Go for it.

Comment

Does one need to master in kendo or iaido first or one can do both together?

Comment

Originally posted by counterattack
            Does one need to master in kendo or iaido first or one can do both together?
            I have heard people say you should have a firm base in one before starting the other. I also know people who started off learning both with no problems. I guess as long as one doesn't adversly effect the other there should be no problem doing both.

Comment

I mastered both of these arts before finishing this sentence!
              That's how good I am.

Heck, I fully expect to die a crusty old man without mastering anything except maybe one basic waza......even then.......
              LOL

Seriously, I admire greatly those who can do both arts at once.
              However, I think I'm in the vast majority of those that would benefit from a more focused approach.

Comment

id take the oppertunity to do both
                especially since theres no extra cost
                you can always drop one if you find its not for you, or too confuzzling for now
                good luck

Comment

Originally posted by xvikingx
                  I have heard people say you should have a firm base in one before starting the other. I also know people who started off learning both with no problems. I guess as long as one doesn't adversly effect the other there should be no problem doing both.
                  I heard that one should take kendo first and become quite fluent at it before taking iai (e.g. sandan). Reason was (disclaimer: only my interpretation...): you need to learn iai / koryu in order to get deeper understanding of kendo as a sword art, but that it might be very easy to start on a wrong path when studying only iai (no way to estimate how efficient a technique is since you can't confront an opponent).
                  I also heard that a lot of iai sensei started with kendo, until say sandan, before starting studying iai.

Comment

Sounds logical.

Originally posted by Spendius
                    I also heard that a lot of iai sensei started with kendo, until say sandan, before starting studying iai.
                    Yes, all the sensei in my dojo (I don't know about the dojo-cho though) started with kendo and then moved on to or included iai later in their life. One of the head sensei (7-dan) didn't start untill he was 40.

Comment

Thanks for all responses, i'm going to try both though. I'm new to both and i'd like to get a feel for both arts before i decide on which i'm going to persue fully. Iaido appeals to me because i love swords and i like the fact that it's something i can practice alone and enjoy either in the privacy of my own house or outdoors. Kendo however appeals to my competitive nature and would be a great outlet for my aggression(which has been taking over my life lately). Who knows what i'll chose, but i'll let you guys know when i do make a choice. This forums really great when it comes giving advice and i haven't found many trolls here either.

Comment

you apparently haven't looked very hard.

Comment

Working...
                        X