Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
A question of grade, and progress Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question of grade, and progress

    I'm wondering if there is a spesific curriculum for each grade.

    Must know how to preform "men uchi, do uchi etc." Or is this different from country to country?

    (Fair enough, this might be a stupid question but I've practised martiall arts for 3 or 4 years and have never been graded.... I guess I've never prioritized it...)

  • #2
    There is, but as far as I know it is not a exact thing like kote, men and do... It is a more subjective matter...

    Taking ikkyu for example. Here at Brazil you are expected to show you can score a yuko-datotsu with Ki-Ken-Tai ichi. It is best if you can score a men. But the sensei is watching you since before you enter the exam area... They see if you bow correctly, posture, respect to the partner, the Ki you show (not only kiai), correct movement, forward intention and etc.

    At ikkyu you are not expected to show many waza and counter-attacks. Focus is on scoring a clear yuko-datotsu.

    You are also required to know the first 3 Kendo Kata, so it can be said you must know how to perform that movements (not just physically but with the right state of mind as well)! ;-)

    As you scale up in ranks, more and more conceptual things are analyzed.

    At last, you don't have priorize it... Just learn Kendo... If you lern it the right way, you does not have to care about "preparing" for rank examinations.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 1/2 View Post
      I'm wondering if there is a spesific curriculum for each grade.
      The nice thing about kendo is that the standards are quite uniform across the world. One of the benefits of being overseen by one governing body worldwide. Here's the "study guide" for testing in the U.S. Your federation may differ a little bit, but I would imagine not by any appreciable amount.

      http://www.auskf.info/main/study.htm

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
        The nice thing about kendo is that the standards are quite uniform across the world. One of the benefits of being overseen by one governing body worldwide. Here's the "study guide" for testing in the U.S. Your federation may differ a little bit, but I would imagine not by any appreciable amount.

        http://www.auskf.info/main/study.htm
        Good to know! I read the AUSKF study guide and up to my grading it is the same thing. I cannot tell much about sandan and above requirements because I did not have tryied it yet, but it also seems to be close from what I hear from my senpais and senseis.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for your input guys, I really apprechiate it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Actually, from what I've read on this forum, the expectations between different federation seem to differ quite a bit until the lower dan-grades.

            So, if you are aiming for anything below nidan, then check with your instructors for the expectations of the norwegian kendo federation.

            So, short answer: Yes, it is different from country to country

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by h2o View Post
              Actually, from what I've read on this forum, the expectations between different federation seem to differ quite a bit until the lower dan-grades.

              So, if you are aiming for anything below nidan, then check with your instructors for the expectations of the norwegian kendo federation.

              So, short answer: Yes, it is different from country to country
              Thank you, I've heard such but never got anything confirmed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by h2o View Post
                So, short answer: Yes, it is different from country to country
                This is sad... It shouldn't be different. At Brazil we strive to adhere to Nihon standards... We have grading exams two times per year and one of then always have the presence of invited high level japanese senseis. This way we can keep things uniform. Every year they evaluate us and tell us what we need to change. So we train hard to correct things until their next visit!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bianchi View Post
                  This is sad... It shouldn't be different. At Brazil we strive to adhere to Nihon standards... We have grading exams two times per year and one of then always have the presence of invited high level japanese senseis. This way we can keep things uniform. Every year they evaluate us and tell us what we need to change. So we train hard to correct things until their next visit!
                  This sounds like a great idea, and would be the ideal. I have yet to learn how things are done here..... Hope to see some time this year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    takes time, be patient and stick to it

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X