• Show
Clear All

• MUSASHI's style Question

hello everyone
    i am new to here.....
    i wanna learn kendo ...and i wanna learn musashi's way
    the HNIR
    the question is
    is it true that i can only learn that in japan if i am in asia??
    and after i learn it can i use this style in a match or competition??
    thanks

No, But
    Musashi's way as you refere to it is an advance style. You first need to do the generic kendo style for 3 to 5 years (depending on how often you train).
    After that time you have the basic skills and can speclise.

Yes, mostly some rules have been introduce to make things fairer.

head to the dojo section and follow the links to find a dojo nearest you. Its almost to easy.
    enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Martino View Post
      No, But
      Musashi's way as you refere to it is an advance style. You first need to do the generic kendo style for 3 to 5 years (depending on how often you train).
      After that time you have the basic skills and can speclise.

head to the dojo section and follow the links to find a dojo nearest you. Its almost to easy.
      enjoy
      Some people are about to jump all over you!

Comment

*laf* Promise not to jump. Musashi was, to be blunt, a freak as far as martial arts is concerned. I mean - never lost a duel? How many can say they've never lost a shiai?! But even he had years of experience before developing "nito" which is the two sword style you're probably thinking of. You can learn nito kendo eventually but you want many, many years under your belt first.

Someone at our Nationals was using nito, weren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofmyrrh View Post
          Some people are about to jump all over you!
          I guess he was talking about the Musashikai gang. Nevertheless you're right, he's walking on a mine-field with his explanation of HNIR

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth_ View Post
            Ummmm, where do you think Japan is? You kinda have to be in Asia in order to be in Japan.

Just taking the piss. Investigating the potential troll...

Comment

I reckon in a kendo situation I could take Musashi out.

Comment

Originally posted by JoDuncan View Post
                Ummmm, where do you think Japan is? You kinda have to be in Asia in order to be in Japan.

Just taking the piss. Investigating the potential troll...
                Ah! but you dont have to be Japan to be in Asia!

Comment

i am in HOng Kong,,,,,i realli wanna learn his way after reading the book of 5 rings
                  maybe i still need time to study the book
                  but i am serious ...i realli wanna learn and master it!

Comment

yo man....
                    Musashi is someone that i respect
                    plz don't make fun of Musashi
                    and i believe not only me ...there are a lot of ppl who respect Musashi

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                      *laf* Promise not to jump. Musashi was, to be blunt, a freak as far as martial arts is concerned. I mean - never lost a duel? How many can say they've never lost a shiai?! But even he had years of experience before developing "nito" which is the two sword style you're probably thinking of. You can learn nito kendo eventually but you want many, many years under your belt first.

Someone at our Nationals was using nito, weren't they?
                      yo...it is different during that time....
                      that time losing a duel is like losing yr life......
                      it is not like today......

Comment

Musashi was - as far as we know - pretty much a serial killer (60 people). This was done in peace-time, not war. Is this someone you wish to emulate? Sure, he may have changed his ways or even repented in his later life, but how can that atone for the people he killed and the families he destroyed?

This is from wikipedias intro paragraph to "serial killer" :

A serial killer is a person who kills three or more people in three or more separate events over a period of time including an "emotional cooling-off" period in between the homicides. The cooling-off period may last days, weeks, months, or even years. Many serial killers are psychopaths, considered to have a personality disorder and not psychosis, and thus appear to be quite normal and often even charming, a state of adaptation which Hervey Cleckley calls the "mask of sanity." There is sometimes a sexual element to the murders. The murders may have been completed/attempted in a similar fashion and the victims may have had something in common, for example occupation, race, sex, etc.

A murderer is a murderer, time and space will not change that.

Comment

This topic may have just taken an interesting turn, I cant decide if want to watch or not!

Comment

hah hah, please watch!!

I think not many people think about things like this... but its obvious to me that Musashi was - in our time and in his time - a murderer. Mass, serial, whatever.... he was not a nice person. Unless you can kill 60 people with a sharp instrument and remain Mother Theresa-like.

Anybody wish to provide evidence or even arguments for the contrary then please go ahead.

Comment

But can you judge him and his action by modern day values and cultural morals? Society has changed dramatically over the years between his death and today. How many of those who died by his sword attacked him first?

Is an agreed dual between 2 consenting parties OK? By todays laws and values no, but then? We will never understand full what it was like to be a samurai, and we will never understand fully what life was like then, because we never lived it!

And Im going to stop now, because I am in no way knoledgeable enough about Musashi or Historical Japanese/Samurai culture, but that was my 2p's worth!

Comment

Working...
                              X