X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kendo, Advice wanted...

I have tried Ninjistsu, Judo, Jujistsu, but because of travel problems I could no longer go, but now I have found a Kendo school close to where I live, so it is back to training...

So I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if anyone has any basics or decent sites that I could practise before I start the first class, anything from simple advice to termernology for the first grade, everything would be appreciated...thanks and kendo rocks...

You user name rocks. Unfortunately this forum is too small for 2 kendo kings. You could always brush up on the terminology. Welcome to KW.

Comment

haha, this is surely bait for Karou-san to leap on and rip apart with her vicious talons of self rightiousness?

Comment

Originally posted by Damien_lucifer View Post
        haha, this is surely bait for Karou-san to leap on and rip apart with her vicious talons of self rightiousness?
        I doubt it. Check his profile - he's going to be starting at Doshinkenyukai.

I don't study kendo (I do iaido and kenjutsu), but judging by what others have posted in the past (and my own experiences in the arts I study), it's best not to try to practise anything before you go - you won't get it right on your own. Learning a few words of terminology may be useful.

I hope you enjoy kendo, and welcome to the forum

Comment

well if he IS starting at the Doshin' dojo, then just go to the Doshinkenyukai web site, it has pages for an introduction to kendo and also a glossery of terms.

Comment

Originally posted by KendoKing View Post
            ....anything from simple advice to termernology for the first grade, everything would be appreciated...thanks and kendo rocks...
            5-kyu and 6-kyu require simple knowledge of ettiquite and just a level of comfort with chudan-no-kamae.

AKA: don't worry about ranks in Kendo. They'll come as you progress. Just keep an open mind and listen intently to your sensei.

Welcome!

Comment

The two most important phrases you can learn before you go:

"o-negaishimas(u)" (the 'u' on the end is not pronounced) = "please help me train", said whilst bowing before each encounter with another kendoka.

"domo arigato gozaimash'ta" = "thank you very much", said while bowing after each encounter.

Also knowing how to count to ten in Japanese will be useful.

All of this you will be taught eventually anyway. KNowing it before you go just shows your sincerity and enthusiasm, two very important traits for any prospective kendo student.

Ganbatte kudasai!

b

Comment

important word number three....

"buka" ~ nice word to mumble to yourself when you cant seem to land a hit against your sempai, when your sensei truns circles around you and other such choice moments

Comment

Ask yourself WWPWD?

Comment

Originally posted by Oroshi View Post
                    I doubt it. Check his profile - he's going to be starting at Doshinkenyukai.
                    Aah, but which Doshinkenyukai? Enquiring minds wish to know.

Comment

important word number three....

"buka" ~ nice word to mumble to yourself when you cant seem to land a hit against your sempai, when your sensei truns circles around you and other such choice moments
                      is that

what you

like doing?

Comment

Wow, didn't expect to get this much response...this is a good forum...Anyway I am hoping to go to the Preston Doshinkenyukai, if they accept me so hello anyone who goes...

Kapploww:I am suprised no one else had that username, now I will just have to live up to it...And to the this forum ain't big enough for the both of us, maybe I will see you in a compertition later on down the line...

Also what does WWPWD mean?

Comment

In the context of that post it is very similar to STFU.

Comment

Wow, didn't expect to get this much response...this is a good forum...Anyway I am hoping to go to the Preston Doshinkenyukai, if they accept me so hello anyone who goes...
                            Excellent, it's the nearest to me but I'm already busy that night so I've never had chance to go on a Wednesday. If I'm ever late home from work it's my 'reserve' so to speak as they start later than my other 'engagement'. Suffice to say they will welcome you with open arms and with two British team members coming from that club you will be in excellent hands.

Comment

Kapploww:I am suprised no one else had that username, now I will just have to live up to it...And to the this forum ain't big enough for the both of us, maybe I will see you in a compertition later on down the line...

I'm no Kendo king. I'm more like a Kendo peasant. The original Kendo King happens to be the captain of your national team if I'm not mistaken. I seriously doubt we'll ever meet in the shiaijo.

Comment

Working...
                              X