Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding #8000 Hakama

Well, hello there!

I'm about to buy a hakama and kendogi set from e-bogu, but I have a question regarding the hakama:

Should I buy a size too big, since the product is 100% cotton?
    I'm 170cm tall and according to their size chart, I should go for the 168-173cm ...or should I go for the 174cm?

I ask this, because this would be my first hakama and kendogi set... And since I have no experience at all on buying hakama/kendogi and I don't know how much it will shrink...

I would appriciate all your help!
    Sincerly
    Ilia

It shouldn't shrink that much at all, unless you're stupid enough to wash it and then throw it in the dryer.
    Just follow the chart at ebogu and you should get what you need... handwashing it (I've always just used the machine myself) and letting it hang dry might shrink it a LITTLE... but not really that much.

Comment

Thank you very much for you answer! I'm going for the chart :P

(wow, what a quick reply! I'm amazed over this forum xD)

Comment

If you're a lady and you're on the edge of sizes, I might go up a size. For men, usually we go down. As you are in the lower end of the range, I'd stick with the recommended size.

Comment

Check Tohobudogu.com. They have special price for gi and hakama set, can't beat that. However, they are not very popular around here.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I am a guy and I'm checking out Tohobudogu.com right at this moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
              If you're a lady and you're on the edge of sizes, I might go up a size. For men, usually we go down.
              Is that from tying the waist higher, or does it have to do with women having more around the hips? I'd think that the big factor would be how long one's legs are relative to their height; some people are long-legged, and others have long torsos.

That said, I'm female, and following the chart got me the correct size.

Comment

Just as a warning when you wash, dont hang dry in sunlight, make sure it's in the shade. If you dry it in the sunlight, the color of the dogi will either become purple, or some odd (and not kendo beautiful) blue.

Comment

stay with your recommended size

Originally posted by CommanderSnake View Post
                  Well, hello there!

I'm about to buy a hakama and kendogi set from e-bogu, but I have a question regarding the hakama:

Should I buy a size too big, since the product is 100% cotton?
                  I'm 170cm tall and according to their size chart, I should go for the 168-173cm ...or should I go for the 174cm?

I ask this, because this would be my first hakama and kendogi set... And since I have no experience at all on buying hakama/kendogi and I don't know how much it will shrink...

I would appriciate all your help!
                  Sincerly
                  Ilia

I have the 8000 hakama from e-bogu, and I was on the edge of sizes and went up to a larger size, thinking that I always have a problem with things being too short, and that I'm long limbed. It was the wrong choice. I TRIED to shrink them, noticed no difference, and then ended up having them hemmed by the local drycleaning joint (who did a great job). Definitely stay in your range. Plus if they're not resting on your feet, that's probably a good thing, as it sounds like your a beginner. I am too, and after 6 months I still hike my hakama up so my Sensei and I can see my feet easily.

Comment

You two do realise that this thread is OLD and was only bumped up because of an advert that Neil missed?

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                      It shouldn't shrink that much at all, unless you're stupid enough to wash it and then throw it in the dryer.
                      Yeah. Better to keep it stinky, lol.

Just kidding.

What about dry cleaning it? Also how does the tetron one work?

Comment

Originally posted by MartialArtsGirl View Post
                        What about dry cleaning it? Also how does the tetron one work?
                        Tetron won't shrink. You don't need to machine dry it though, just wash it, and hang it up and clothespin the pleats. With the cotton, just avoid using hot water when you wash it and hang dry the same way.

You could dry clean it but you likely won't need to. You really won't even need to wash it much unless you sweat like a horse.

Comment

Running the traditionally dyed stuff through the dryer will turn your dryer blue and your gear not so blue. It will really shrink though!

Comment

If you and your sempai don't mind, try their hakama for size. People usually wash their hakama in the tub and hang dry.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius1906 View Post
                              If you and your sempai don't mind, try their hakama for size. People usually wash their hakama in the tub and hang dry.
                              ...but ask them first if they wear underwear.

studying today to renew my professional certification, my brain has melted already... I'd rather be hit by bamboo stick on my head... oh well.

Yuko

Comment

Working...
                              X