X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys

Hi everybody. I am new here and need some help. I am a little new to Kendo. Kendo has interested me for quite some time but I have had no place to learn. So I took up practicing on my own for a while. It's been a dream of mine to learn since I was 10. I am only about 18 but have been practicing (on my own) with different swords for almost 6 years. I practice at least 10 hours a week. Although I have no formal training I wouldn't consider myself a complete noob. Mainly because a lot of the practice I do is with friends and on my own. Basically us sparring with PVC pipe wrapped in foam. Although Again, I have no technical training I have looked online and didn't find anything that really worked. Basically I want to learn the correct way, not just by watching videos and reading pages online. I practice (again on my own) with a Katana, a single-edged Straight blade, a set of Khukuri, and (don't laugh) a buster sword. However, next fall I am going down to Cape Girardeau. Is there any dojos down there, and if there are which ones would be a good choice. I want to be the best I can so any suggestions would be great. Thanks a bunch.

sorry.. don't know of any in that area...
    think that place is almost equidistant from nashville, memphis, and st louis..
    maybe closest to st louis and they've got a small group there (can't remember if they're at st. louis univ. or what...)

long haul anyway you look at it...

if you're interested in the st louis group, shoot me a PM....
    i've contact info for the group there but it's in my computer at the office, so.. it'd have to wait til monday or so..

Comment

Sure. Please send some info that would be great help. I have family up in St. Louis so I could possibly go up every other weekend so learn. Thanks

Comment

Not to be rude or anything, but it would be a good idea for you to stop playing with sticks on your own before trying to get a real dojo. You'll find that doing all that stuff built up a lot of bad habits that'll get harder to break the more you do that kinda stuff. You're better off just working out or finding something else to do while looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
          Not to be rude or anything, but it would be a good idea for you to stop playing with sticks on your own before trying to get a real dojo. You'll find that doing all that stuff built up a lot of bad habits that'll get harder to break the more you do that kinda stuff. You're better off just working out or finding something else to do while looking.
          Let me disagree here. At the first parctice he will understand that what he used to do and what he is going to do are totally different. It's like skiing and snowboarding (I'm not an expert in one of those domains, so the analogy can be wrong): as soon as you understand that they are difernt things, everything goes on fine.
          TsuchiSwrdFghtr, play with sticks if you want to! (at least as long as you don't show your skills on youtube with a "kendo", "kenjutsu" or "ninjutsu" tag )
          Last edited by Sparv; 10th December 2007, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparv View Post
            Let me disagree here. At the first parctice he will understand that what he used to do and what he is going to do are totally different. It's like skiing and snowboarding (I'm not an expert in one of those domains, so the analogy can be wrong): as soon as you understand that they are difernt things, everything goes on fine.
            TsuchiSwrdFghtr, play with sticks if you want to! (at least as long as you don't show your skills on youtube with a "kendo", "kenjutsu" or "ninjutsu" tag )

Well my comment was more from personal experience moving between different unarmed martial arts. I'd imagine that habits built up wailing on your friends for a few years wouldn't be all that different.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Anoymous. I do understand what your saying and that's why I want to start actual traing so that I can get better. I appreciate the thoughts.

Comment

Oh, and I hae people who post crap on youtube and think it means they are "special" or something. Basically don't worry about me posting dumb stuff on youtube. I really do want to learn more lots more. Are there any other martial arts in Cape that would be good for me to learn? ANy suggestions?

Comment

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by TsuchiSwrdFghtr View Post
                  Hi everybody. I am new here and need some help. I am a little new to Kendo. Kendo has interested me for quite some time but I have had no place to learn.
                  Well, can you give your state and location please?

hehehe, You'll find I'm a bit tougher than others here because I hate it when people play with swords when they have no training, and for good reason. Serious injury and even death can occur, and that is no joke. So...

So I took up practicing on my own for a while. It's been a dream of mine to learn since I was 10. I am only about 18 but have been practicing (on my own) with different swords for almost 6 years.
                  Why do you think it was/is ok to play with 3 foot razor blades? It really is not ok. They are very dangerous. Swords are NOT toys and they are NOT intended for use by untrained people. Do you understand that you are not invincible and that you could seriously injure yourself or even kill yourself by playing with those swords? I'm not kidding and you need to understand that what you are doing is VERY bad. You don't know how lucky you are to still be living after six years of messing with sharp 3 foot razor blades that you have no business using because you are not properly trained. I'd be willing to bet they were cheap wallhangers, too, which are incredibly dangerous and are NOT meant to be used.

I am telling you this for your own safety. You are not trained and you cannot teach yourself. So, you should never be playing with a sword as a result.

I practice at least 10 hours a week.
                  I hate to tell you this, but that is a terrible waste of your time. This is because you are not learning anything at all. All you are doing it playing and pretending you are truly learning a sword art, when you are not. What you really are doing is making sure that you are ingraining nothing but incorrect and bad habits into your muscle memory. This is a horrible thing to do to yourself. This will make it much harder for you to learn proper techniques in a real dojo. You will instead be spending the first several months at the least, having to unlearn every little thing you have self-taught yourself. I can tell you from personal experience, having been in a McDojo(Fake kendo dojo) for 5 1/2 months before I found out I was not learning the real thing, that it is a royal pain in the rear end to have to unlearn everything you thought you learned correctly once you get into a dojo. It is much better to stop this practicing right now and let your body forget everything you taught yourself and start fresh in a proper and legitimate dojo.

Although I have no formal training I wouldn't consider myself a complete noob. Mainly because a lot of the practice I do is with friends and on my own.
                  Actually, you ARE a complete noob, because you are untrained and don't have a clue about how to do anything correctly or safely. Practicing backyard samurai stuff with your friends or on your own does not make you know something. It just tells me that you don't know anything about what real JSA(Japanese sword arts) are.

Basically us sparring with PVC pipe wrapped in foam.
                  Well, I don't know how safe that even is, because you may not have those pipes covered safely enough. I would highly recommend that you stop doing this. Play sparring with friends is ok only if what you are using is not a hard material inside or out when you are not trained. Otherwise, I will say no way! Unsafe! At least you are smart enough to not use shinai, wooden swords or real swords. Those can give serious injuries and the second two can even cause death.

Although Again, I have no technical training I have looked online and didn't find anything that really worked.
                  That is because you cannot use the internet to self teach yourself nor can you use books and videos. That is really a bad idea.

Basically I want to learn the correct way, not just by watching videos and reading pages online.
                  Good. Glad to hear it, if you are honestly serious. Again, please give me your state and location. I can help you find a legit dojo then.

I practice (again on my own) with a Katana, a single-edged Straight blade, a set of Khukuri, and (don't laugh) a buster sword.
                  I'm not going to laugh, I'm going to tell you to please get RID of those things!! Again, it is VERY stupid to be playing with very sharp 3 foot razor blades that can cut you very badly or even cause your death. Yes, it can happen. I want you to look at the photos in the following link. They show what happened to a self taught guy who lost concentration for one second and cut himself so badly that he nearly bled to death. The idiot was using a live(sharp) blade. He said he was doing iaido, but he was not trained formally in it.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=53083

Then, I want you to read these articles on sword accidents that happened to trained AND untrained people who did really stupid things. Please read the entire article:

http://www.tsuki-kage.com/darwin.html

Since you are NOT properly trained you should not be using any live blade or any sword period.

I'm not sure if you know or not, but kendo and iaido are two different Japanese sword arts.

Iaido is the art of drawing and cutting in one smooth motion with a sword. It is a koryu(old school) art.

Kendo does not use a real sword. Kendo uses shinai to strike with and we spar when we finally get into bogu(armour). We also have 10 paired kenjutsu derived kata. For that, we use bokken(wooden swords) and we do not hit each other or wear bogu when performing kata.

In a real iaido class, you will not be allowed to show up in class or practice with any live blade for at least 5-6 years. The reason is, because you have to be considered safe and qualified to be allowed to use one. The only person who can give you permission is a qualified sensei. You will use a bokken(wooden sword) for at least 6 months up to a year, depending on the dojo, before the sensei will decide to let you use an iaito(blunt edged sword). You cannot use just any sword in a real dojo. The sensei must approve the sword because of safety concerns. You will not be allowed to use your wallhangers due to the dangers they hold for injuring yourself and your future dojomates. So, it is a good idea to start saving now for a decent safe sword your future sensei will aprove. This is of course, is if I can find you an iaido dojo. If not, you do not need any sword to play with and I would like it if you would please stop playing backyard samurai right now. This is for your own safety.

I may only come up with a kendo dojo. It all depends on what state you are in. So, then you'd need a shinai instead of a sword. But, you will need to wait to buy that too, because you'll need to find out from the teacher what size to buy and where they want you to buy one from. It needs to come from a reputable kendo retailer and not just any MA shop.

Kendo means "way of the sword." In kendo, you will not wear bogu for 3-6 months typically, but it also depends on the dojo. This is because you have to have good basics before you can spar safely with another person. You will study basics for the first few months which include proper footwork, how to strike men, kote and doh correctly, how to do kirikaeshi and how to have correct tenouchi and ki-ken-tai-ichi(spirit, sword, body as one) and fumikomi. I'll hold off defining those terms for now. If you'd like, ask and I, or someone else will define them for you later. It's late and I am getting tired of writing. Sorry about that!

You won't need a uniform until you find out from the sensei when you may purchase one in either art.

Anyway, PLEASE stop playing with all those swords! It is important because you want to keep all your fingers and body safe and intact.

And, if you were my kid, hehehe, I'd be having a ton of fits if I caught you swinging around a 3 foot razor blade! So, think about your poor mother... What if you got hurt? She'd be very sad. I'm sure she'd like to keep her son from being seriously injured or worse.

However, next fall I am going down to Cape Girardeau. Is there any dojos down there, and if there are which ones would be a good choice.
                  Well, no idea where that is. You'll have to tell me. Though, an exact location of where you are would be nice.

I want to be the best I can so any suggestions would be great. Thanks a bunch.
                  Well, don't worry about being the best. That's not the correct way to be thinking. You need to think about doing your very best. That is what is important. Being the best is not important. That's ego, and not necessarily a good thing. If you try to be the best, that will set you up for huge disappointments because it takes a very long time to learn any sword art. It really takes a life time to learn anything at all. Concentrate on improving yourself and your character through hard and diligent practice in the dojo and at home in between practices in a legit dojo. That's what is best. And, it will make you feel happy. You will certainly make positive progress if you work hard and just concentrate on what you learn each time you attend practice. Just take things one step at a time and before you know it, you will be learning more and more over the months and if you stick with it, years. Really, there is no such thing as being perfect and we at all levels, are still working on things to make them better. You will spend a lifetime learning since learning is a never ending cycle. That's what makes learning a JSA so much fun.

Well, I hope this helps you. Seriously, I am concerned for your safety, so please stop using those swords and stop trying to teach yourself. You'll learn so much in a proper dojo. You won't regret studying the real thing.

Kaoru

Comment

Hi,

If yopu are still reading, where are you at?. There is a Kendo Federation (part of the IKF) in Ireland with a number of clubs, and at one point in other locations. Please check out the federation's website: www.irishkendofederation.org

Events are run often enough in every club that even if you are not close by at least you can pop in for seminars and the likes.

I would encourage you to make an effort to visit any of the Dojo, if you have really been practicing for ten years this is fundamental, we often travel and practice outside our own Dojo as part of our Kendo education. All the irish Dojo have an open door policy for visitors.

Please, do come in!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru View Post
                      Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

I guess you're not using the PocketPC for that one.

Comment

here's the only info i have for the st louis club...

Missouri Kendo Club
                        5055 Alaska Ave
                        St. Louis, MO
                        Email: Musashi1264@msn.com

Comment

All of Irish member here, please hook him up with something. I hate to see someone with that much of a heart for Kendo going wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Big One View Post
                            All of Irish member here, please hook him up with something. I hate to see someone with that much of a heart for Kendo going wasted.
                            On this note, PM myself or bobdonny for more details

Comment

Wow, thanks for the huge response. First things first, I just thought it should be mentioned that none of the swords are sharp. I either made sure or had them dulled. Second, I really appreciate your concern for my safety, Kaoru. And I will take your advice, i'll control myself and wait for the chance to learn at a proper dojo. The location I am going to is Cape Girardeau, MO. South of St. Louis. I apologize to those of you who thought I am currently in Ireland. I wish I grew up there, but in reality, I'm just from Troy MO. I'm part Irish, sorry, I need to change my flag. Are there any unarmed martail arts that would be wise to learn in conjuction with Kendo? (Just as a side note, the buster sword was used just to help build muscle.) I am going to college in Cape and plan on taking their courses in fencing (English), Tae Kwon Do, and Judo. Any more advice please?

Comment

Working...
                              X