Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a similar question to Maaku-san. I've been doing kendo for 5 months now, and am reaching the point where I should probably buy a kendogi and hakama. The only thing really holding me back is the financial aspect. I'll be leaving for college after this summer to OSU (where they have a dojo, but the club isn't NEARLY as established as the dojo I am currently at). My question is whether it would be better to buy hakama now, so that I can gain practice using it before going to college or whether, as you guys seemed to be suggesting to Maaku-san, it would be better to wait.

Comment

If it's time to wear grown-up pants, it's time to wear grown-up pants.

Why would how long OSUKC's been around (8 years, by the way) have anything to do with it? I doubt you'd be in the beginners' class.

Comment

lol! ok, you are probably right. i guess it's just the money holding me back. (but i'm going to need to buy kendogi and hakama within the next year anyway; might as well me now.)

i guess my question about OSU, was whether it would be better to learn how to tie/use hakama and kendogi in my current dojo, or whether the transition between dojos would also be a good time to transition into the proper uniform as well. you're right though; i know very little about OSU's kendo program, only that their web page is outdated. (which gave me the impression that they weren't as established, though i could be wrong). do you know anymore information about OSU's kendo or iaido program? how many sempai would i have?

Comment

Originally posted by Lachan View Post
          lol! ok, you are probably right. i guess it's just the money holding me back. (but i'm going to need to buy kendogi and hakama within the next year anyway; might as well me now.)

i guess my question about OSU, was whether it would be better to learn how to tie/use hakama and kendogi in my current dojo, or whether the transition between dojos would also be a good time to transition into the proper uniform as well. you're right though; i know very little about OSU's kendo program, only that their web page is outdated. (which gave me the impression that they weren't as established, though i could be wrong). do you know anymore information about OSU's kendo or iaido program? how many sempai would i have?
          Kent was formerly the head sensei there, Lachan...then it was Lonny Hancock. Let's talk at keiko Friday and I can point you at the right people.

Comment

I have 4 questions that I ask when I'm deciding to buy new training clothes
            1. Do I need it?
            2. Do I want it?
            3. have I seen a set I'd feel good in?
            4. Can I afford it?

If I can answer yes to ANY 2 of these questions I'll buy it.
            Only question 3 can stand as reason in itself and not need a supporting "yes" from the others.
            Question 4 was added to make questions 1 and 2 easier to be actioned, but it has rarely been any help on account of it's generally "no" status.

Comment

Working...
            X