Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Kendo in High School Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kendo in High School

    Hey everyone. I was wondering if anybody that either goes to high school or works in a high school has kendo there. I'm a junior in high school now and I've been trying to get a kendo club started, but I was told by the assistant principle to create a proposal and that he would consider it. After speaking to my english teacher about this, he told me that if any precedent has been set already it would help me out a lot. The main reason why it might not be ok is because of the physical contact.

    So, does anybody have kendo at their schools? If so could you please share how long it has been there for, where you practice, if it is part of the curriculum or just an after school activity, etc. Also, any key points that I should mention in my proposal? Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Originally posted by MostOriginal View Post
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if anybody that either goes to high school or works in a high school has kendo there. I'm a junior in high school now and I've been trying to get a kendo club started, but I was told by the assistant principle to create a proposal and that he would consider it. After speaking to my english teacher about this, he told me that if any precedent has been set already it would help me out a lot. The main reason why it might not be ok is because of the physical contact.

    So, does anybody have kendo at their schools? If so could you please share how long it has been there for, where you practice, if it is part of the curriculum or just an after school activity, etc. Also, any key points that I should mention in my proposal? Thanks in advance.
    I work for a high school. In the case of Kendo, I prefer to take students interested to my Kendo club which is pretty close to the school. However, I have run at my school a Judo club for the last 12 years. The main issue here was not physical contact as most sports have physical contact anyway. Having an instructor and the proper equipment was the decisive factor in allowing this club to exist.

    In our case, it is not an after school activity. It is scheduled into the school day. It is a voluntary activity that students may choose among others.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cool! The only high school that has kendo that I knew of in the States is a private school (Summerlin Academy in Bartow FL) and it has kendo as a club sport similar to many of the universities that offer kendo in the States.

      Be interested to see if there are other ones floating around.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Obulco View Post
        I work for a high school. In the case of Kendo, I prefer to take students interested to my Kendo club which is pretty close to the school. However, I have run at my school a Judo club for the last 12 years. The main issue here was not physical contact as most sports have physical contact anyway. Having an instructor and the proper equipment was the decisive factor in allowing this club to exist.

        In our case, it is not an after school activity. It is scheduled into the school day. It is a voluntary activity that students may choose among others.
        Money for equips and such isn't as big an issue as the contact in my school though. They said that since it would only be a club, not a sport (I'm guessing they mean an "official" sport like football), it wouldn't get insurance. Without insurance they really can't risk injuries.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MikeW View Post
          Cool! The only high school that has kendo that I knew of in the States is a private school (Summerlin Academy in Bartow FL) and it has kendo as a club sport similar to many of the universities that offer kendo in the States.

          Be interested to see if there are other ones floating around.
          When I saw Maeda sensei a couple weeks ago he said the high school is building him a REAL dojo. Half kendo, half judo, suspended floors. I can't wait!

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know if this is a concern but how are you gonna keep the club going after you graduate? If the club is organized by students, you really have to train the junior students to be future officers as the seniors graduate.

            I used to practice at a local college club. I don't know if the club is still in existence after their senior club officers left...

            Comment


            • #7
              Kapplow, that sounds great. Wish we had a better floor here to practice on.

              On another note I may be at a meeting in Orlando in the Fall and if so I hope to rent a car and drive the hour down to Maeda sensei's dojo to practice. I'll see him in Aug in GA but I always like to get some practice in if I can.

              *** we now return you to your regularly scheduled KW thread***

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sirius1906 View Post
                I don't know if this is a concern but how are you gonna keep the club going after you graduate? If the club is organized by students, you really have to train the junior students to be future officers as the seniors graduate.

                I used to practice at a local college club. I don't know if the club is still in existence after their senior club officers left...
                I have some people in mind that could keep it going so, that's not really a concern for me right now. I need it started before anything though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been driving down to visit him as much as I can. He's the most amazing sensei. If you attend you his seminars, he takes a DVD recording of the whole thing so you can see what you need to work on. I've never met a more giving, humble, person.. And funny!

                  Mike if you are ever in the N FL area please come pay us a visit!


                  Sorry. Back to thread.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MostOriginal View Post
                    I have some people in mind that could keep it going so, that's not really a concern for me right now. I need it started before anything though.
                    I think that you need to start by having a Kendo instructor willing to support this activity. Solutions around space, equipment and even insurance can be worked out by schools, but everything has to start with the availability of responsible instruction.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you had the instructor, maybe the insurance issue could be resolved due to AUSKF's coverage.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I could probably have one of the senseis at the dojo I go to come maybe once a week or so, but I don't really want to use up their time too much though.

                        Also, AUSKF will cover for the insurance if this gets started up? I thought that was only for "official" dojos, not for clubs in schools (even though it would be good for publicity).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can't speak for AUSKF on the insurance issue, only speculate. Why wouldn't you want to register the club with the AUSKF? Maybe it could easily be done by making it a branch of your existing club or something like that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's actually not a bad idea. Some of the kids from my school want to do kendo where I do it, but they can't because its decently far away. The only problem is that the dojo I go to requires $90 for 5 tickets (1 ticket for every day you go) and there are 2 practices a week. If the club was an extension, I don't know if people would want to pay anything for a school club.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So practising twice a week, you're going to be paying over $150/month? Which club is this?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X