X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preparing for a lesson

I know this is probably the most asked topic on this forum, but I wanted to receive some advice for preparing for my first official kendo lesson. I have been practicing some very basic concpts on my own. I know this is a bad thing, however I have a fairly strong background in martial arts, and have a VERY general idea of how things work in kendo. The followin gis a list of things I have been practicing over the past weeks to get in shape.

regular jogging on my toes to build strength and stamina
    learned the terminology
    learned how to start and end a kata
    learned the basic footwork (gliding stances, ect.)
    practiced a basic men strike ( I have had some proffesional instruction on this in the past)
    watched a ton of videos of students in dojos

Is there anything else I can do that won't jeapordize my efficiency later on?
    I really would like to leave a good first impression.

Originally posted by kokiri View Post
    I know this is probably the most asked topic on this forum, but I wanted to receive some advice for preparing for my first official kendo lesson. I have been practicing some very basic concpts on my own. I know this is a bad thing, however I have a fairly strong background in martial arts, and have a VERY general idea of how things work in kendo. The followin gis a list of things I have been practicing over the past weeks to get in shape.

regular jogging on my toes to build strength and stamina
    learned the terminology
    learned how to start and end a kata
    learned the basic footwork (gliding stances, ect.)
    practiced a basic men strike ( I have had some proffesional instruction on this in the past)
    watched a ton of videos of students in dojos

Is there anything else I can do that won't jeapordize my efficiency later on?
    I really would like to leave a good first impression.
    Youll be trying to correct your basic footwork and basic men strike for... hmm.. the rest of your kendo life, so dont bother trying to get it right before you even start. Fitness is good, although you wont need it for a while yet.

Watching videos is great, just dont bother trying to copy them. Youre sensei will do a much better, faster job than any video
    Just watch them for the enjoyment of it!

Comment

Wow fiesta silver I'll take 2!

on the subject though, just relax nobody is expecting anything yet, don't try to rush kendo let it happen if you want to improve faster, go to more practices.

Comment

Working...
      X