Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad rep

Hey there
    I feel a little sheepish as I have given out some rep for great posts but my victims have written asking me why I have bad repped them!
    Maybe it was a slip of the finger which is so fatal in iaido and kendo
    As far as I know I have only willingly given bad rep to one person who queried me on it and I resolve then and there not to bad rep anyone...after all he was a nice guy, and who doesn't love a good sekka hara remark sometimes? I think I was probably too precious.
    To make amends I have tried to give some good rep,maybe this is where I went wrong, in a frenzy I wanted to make it up to them and I am now blocked and my victims are mounting!
    How can I possibly mend the bridges in the KW forum?Please unblock me!
    And please help before I get listed as a troll and need to go into the KW forumite protection program:

on a related note, is there somewhere on this board that explains the whole 'rep' thing? I don't know how to give rep good or bad even if I wanted. I have seen some rep that people gave me, but I don't know what that even does.

Comment

Yeah, I'm curious about the "grey rep" bobble (which I got from you jubjub). Is that bad rep or just neutral? Fortunately from the comments I gathered that it was meant to be +ive.

b

Comment

If a poster with less than a certain amount of posts and/or tenure gives you postive rep, it will appear as grey, meaning postive but worthless. Still, if you care too much about these things, you may want to rethink your approach to life.

Comment

exactly, are rep points really relative? They seem like my kids arguing over pokeman card points or whatever...

Comment

can someone tell me how I give someone rep if I chose to? I'll probably ignore this function in general, but it'd be nice to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
              Yeah, I'm curious about the "grey rep" bobble (which I got from you jubjub). Is that bad rep or just neutral? Fortunately from the comments I gathered that it was meant to be +ive.

b
              Grey rep is rep from someone with a low post count (I believe it's 50 posts or less). The receiver's rep does not increase or decrease.

Comment

On the top right corner of every post you should see a scale, next to an exclamation sign in a red triangle. Clicking the scales will let you approve or disapprove of the post and add a comment. After you give reputation to a poster, you won't be able to do it again until you give out reputation to other people and time has passed.

Comment

tad... click the scales icon (located above your location/flag/post count over on the right hand side of the page)....

you get a drop down menu and it'll say "i approve" (that's pos rep) or "I disapprove" (that's neg rep, obviously)....

Comment

emilio -- have some rep for beating me by a minute with your post!

Comment

Originally posted by tad View Post
                      can someone tell me how I give someone rep if I chose to? I'll probably ignore this function in general, but it'd be nice to know how.
                      Look at right hand side of the black bar on top of the post next to the count number. There should be a little scale icon. Click on that and little menu will pop up that has two choices (approve or disapprove of the post) and a little space to leave a comment. If you approve the person is given positive reputation points. If you disapprove the person is given negative reputation points. The number of points added to or subtracted from that person is dependant on how many posts you have made.
                      What does this all mean?

Absolutely nothing.
                      I use this option as a way to leave a quick comment without posting or using PMs, but I think we'd be better off without it.

*EDIT: Holy balls you guys are fast!

Comment

interesting. thanks. I'd been wondering about that for ages. I've never seen a message board with this function.

Comment

no no. People just get slower with age.

Comment

thanks for your help guys!!!!
                            well i'm feeling more confident i guess so i'm back on the horse and i've given you all approving rep!
                            hey ben i definately gave you a positive rep!
                            i will never forget how you tirelessly explained kendo kata three one fine evening at the dojo
                            anyway i only see approve or disapprove so surely there is no grey area betwixt ?

Comment

It's easy to miss the scales etc. Most software for fora have them but a lot disable it.

Comment

Working...
                              X