Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say there may be advantages with being old. You can't do kendo like a Duracell bunny on crack, and the necessity to be more effective and economical in your movements will make your kendo better. With maturity comes more patience and less self-consciousness as well.

Comment

Thought I'd post here seeing as it's still on topic. I'm 19 years old and have been practicing kendo for a couple of months now. I'm loving it and I'm hoping that I'll have the determination to continue with it for many years to come. While it obviously isn't my main goal, I was curious whether you lot think starting at 19 is pushing it in terms of eventually being able to compete in international competitions.

I know it's ambitious for someone who hasn't even reached rokkyu yet, but it's just something to dream about. Have any famed kendoka started at my age or later?

Comment

Don't hope for determination. You either sustain it or you don't. The toughest competition is not international, it is right there inside you.

Comment

Originally posted by Takukuri View Post
          I know it's ambitious for someone who hasn't even reached rokkyu yet, but it's just something to dream about. Have any famed kendoka started at my age or later?
          I know a lot of people, myself included, who wish we had started at 19. Practice hard frequently and see where you go.

FWIW, Antonio Gates only started serious football after college and is now one of the best tight ends in the NFL.

Comment

I dont think its too late. Assuming you train your balls off (almost literally).

I pretty much started kendo properly this year (19yo) and plan on making an appearance at world champs, once I learn to hit men that is.

Comment

Thanks for taking my question seriously, guys. In hindsight, it was probably a silly question for me to be asking. Yoda is right. You're either determined or you're not.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll train hard, improve, and then train some more.

Comment

Awesome, I look forward to having a slapfest in the shiaijyo with you some day.

Comment

Working...
                X