Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What is the average age of national Kendo athletes in North America (Can/US)? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the average age of national Kendo athletes in North America (Can/US)?

I am just wondering what is the average age of national Kendo athletes?

I think the US athletes are mostly 20s and 30s.

Comment

Are you asking about the Team USA members or are you asking about those that compete at the national level? If the US Taikai they run from about 12 years old to in their 60's.

Comment

Without really knowing the type of participation level you're talking about, it's hard to really give an accurate answer. Both DigitalDowntown and Marsten sensei are correct depending on if you're asking the ages of people participating in Kendo on a national/international level or those that just participate in taikai.

If you're talking about the former case, I would imagine that the average age of Kenshi would be commensurate to the age of those in other sports as they would coincide with people at their peak physical condition, which would be around their late teens to somewhere in the mid to late thirties. In Kendo's case, it might skew higher since most people don't really start Kendo until their late teens and later anyways, but I can see that changing over time as easier access to practices has allowed people to find out about, and start Kendo, earlier in their lives. In the latter case, there really isn't an average age since the various brackets based on grade and age allows people to participate, regardless of where they are in life.

Comment

For KW's Youtube viewers, a majority from the US are aged between 35-44, Its around the same for the KW homepage as well I believe. WHERE ALL THE YOUNG PEOPLE AT !?!?!

Hope that helps

Comment

What's a national kendo athlete?

Comment

I'd guess he's talking about national team members? In Canada, they range from early 20s to early 30s, and we have had team members in their later 30s. Our last team skewed older but a lot of them retired so the new team will likely be a little younger - the men haven't been announced yet so I don't know for sure.

Comment

Average age for our AEUSKF national team was right around mid 30's maybe early 30's. But that's mostly senior people, if you're asking what the avg., age in dojo's around here I'd say we have a good number of 20's and 30's. Most senior people are in their mid to late 30's, at least in this area.

Comment

I think a better question would be "How much kendo experience do national squad members have?"
                  I would think that even the 20-somethings most would have 10 years or more experince. The 30-something's expereince would be around 15-20+ years.

Comment

thank you so much for the information. Does anyone know how to qualify or be in the Canada team?

Comment

The selection procedure for the team for 15th WKC is here. You are of course too late to be considered a prospect for this team. If you are serious, talk to your sensei about your training for the next 3 years to qualify for the 16th WKC team.

Comment

To participate in the division torunament in order to be one of the four, what is the requirement? How do I become the "candidate" to participate in the division tournament? And again thank you so much for the information and have happy new year everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                          To participate in the division torunament in order to be one of the four, what is the requirement? How do I become the "candidate" to participate in the division tournament? And again thank you so much for the information and have happy new year everyone

The regional qualifications are held in the summer before the WKC and are usually announced well in advance by the CKF. If you qualify (as per the document), you just need to sign up and go.

Comment

Basically you just let the coaches know that you want to be considered as a prospect. If you are fortunate enough to be in Vancouver or Toronto there are team practices you can attend. Get noticed by doing well in tournaments and working hard in practice. And of course the basic qualifications - nidan and Canadian citizen.

Comment

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. Noe i just have to practice and more practice...

Comment

Working...
                              X