Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of taking up Kendo...

Hi Everyone.

I have had a distinct interest in Japanese sword fighting and Kendo for some time (Seven Samurai was a hell of a film to watch as a kid), I am thinking of taking up Kendo as I have found a class close to me.

My only concern is that the class is only for 1.5 hours a week, which I fear will not be long enough to keep me motivated. There are no other schools/classes near by for which to attend.

Would a 1.5 hour lesson be enough to advance sufficently at a good pace? (ignoring my possible inabilities, failings and struggles to learn).

One other question, is Kendo aimed at a more average height? (I am 6ft3, concerned it may be too tall)

Some information about me:
    Height: 6ft3
    Build: Slim (12 Stone)
    Wear Glasses (but only for seeing long distance)

Many thanks

Hi,

while we can never have enough practice, the reality for most people is that the number of practices per week will be restricted by a variety of factors. If kendo is for you, 90 minutes a week is better than no minutes a week. In dojo with dedicated beginner classes, that's often the time allotted anyway. Further, as you progress you will be able to practice things more or less correctly at home, which should speed things up. If you have some spare time on your hands, work on general fitness. As for your second question: you're not too tall for kendo.

Good luck!

Comment

All of Kenneth's points are good. I'd just add to not go into it like you're going to do one or two classes and see how it is. Give yourself a couple months of trying it and sticking with it.

And I could be wrong, but I suspect that there are other dojos within an hour or two of you that, after you've been doing Kendo for a year or two, you'd be able to visit to get extra practice.

Comment

Just to second what jj said, it's really hard to 'sample' kendo over the course of a few classes. You'll honestly need to commit to at least several months just to get some kind of feel for the art.

You're definitely not too tall for kendo. You'll eventually find that your height gives you several advantages, as well as disadvantages, when working with shorter people. Height is all relative anyway; most of us at my dojo are over 6' tall. Because of that, I often find myself feeling 'crowded' when doing kendo with shorter partners at other dojos who likes to work from a closer distance.

Comment

Originally posted by motlive View Post
          Hi Everyone.

I have had a distinct interest in Japanese sword fighting and Kendo for some time (Seven Samurai was a hell of a film to watch as a kid), I am thinking of taking up Kendo as I have found a class close to me.

My only concern is that the class is only for 1.5 hours a week, which I fear will not be long enough to keep me motivated. There are no other schools/classes near by for which to attend.

Would a 1.5 hour lesson be enough to advance sufficently at a good pace? (ignoring my possible inabilities, failings and struggles to learn).

One other question, is Kendo aimed at a more average height? (I am 6ft3, concerned it may be too tall)

Some information about me:
          Height: 6ft3
          Build: Slim (12 Stone)
          Wear Glasses (but only for seeing long distance)

Many thanks
          As the others said.... 6ft3 isnt too tall, you find loads of people will say you've got an advantage other others, you just need to learn how to use it (speaking from experience).

There's two clubs in snotts. One in Woolaton I think and the other up Mansfield way. Check out the BKA homepage.

Comment

"A year is as a day to a true student. You must learn patience".
            - Frantics "Tai Kwon Leap Boot to the Head"

1.5 hours is enough, and to extend JJCruiser's admonition about time.. Give yourself at least a year.

Comment

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
              1.5 hours is enough, and to extend JJCruiser's admonition about time.. Give yourself at least a year.
              I suppose that would be better, but with respect, I would have guessed the first main tipping point of "I want to do this even though it isn't easy" is after a couple months. I'd be surprised if you could get a beginner to commit to a full year before they even start.

Comment

I'm 6'4. It was a disadvantage for me when I started until I learnt how to cut do. Then it became a major advantage

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to go sit in on a lesson next week and see how it goes, the best place to start.

Comment

I'm 168cm, short for an adult male. Even for me it's hard when doing dou cuts on shorter opponents... like 13 year old kids for example, have to bend my knees while doing my cuts!

Comment

"Do or do not. There is no try."

-Yoda

Yoda's an asshole, but he's right, on this one.

Comment

Do it! you'll be satisfied with it!

Comment

Working...
                        X