Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Hakama and Keiogi

Hi,

I will be going to my first Kendo class next week, after sitting in on a lesson and then reading a number of books and watching videos I decided it was something to persue (with a target of getting a 1st Dan and hopefully beyond, good to have a target and objective).

Any recommendations on a hakama? most places I have read said to not bother when you start and to just wear jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. However this isnt really for me, immersion is everything to me.

This is the one that caught my eye: http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/Clothin...o_Jirushi.aspx

In my mind I think it would be best to invest in comfortable, good quality clothing, instead of a cheaper set that will have to be replaced after a while, giving me more satisfaction and enjoyment.

Are there certain considerations to be taken into account depending on the hakama, indigo-dyed etc.
    Last edited by motlive; 25th January 2012, 07:27 PM.

Nine circles supply quality gear, and that set would be a good purchase. However, it would be wise not to purchase anything until you get the go-ahead from your sensei, as they will need to check your footwork is correct; and it's easier to do this if you're not wearing a hakama.

Comment

Ask your sensei as Wraith says. He/she can best advise you about what to get. Starting with hakama and dogi to start with is ok in some dojos and not in others. My preference is for the students to not have hakama and dogi until they've practiced a bit. It makes it easier to see some of their errors and point them out.

"(with a target of getting a 1st Dan and hopefully beyond, good to have a target and objective). " I agree.. good to have an objective. Shodan and hopefuly beyond, I think is not the best target. A _really_ nice target and, I have to say mine is to continue practicing kendo until I die. The dan then come along the way as part of that.

Enjoy the journey, it's more enjoyable than any destination.

Comment

wise words, thanks.

I will wait and discuss with my Sensei.

(now just need to go buy some jogging bottoms and suitable t-shirt :S)

Comment

Would wearing shorts to a Dojo be considered disrespectful if you are just starting out?

Comment

Shorts like basketball or football shorts?

If so, some guys in my dojo used them when they were starting. I think they are comfortable and you can see better the footwork than with joggings ...

However, the answer is always "ask your sensei", right? :P

Comment

Originally posted by motlive View Post
              wise words, thanks.

I will wait and discuss with my Sensei.

(now just need to go buy some jogging bottoms and suitable t-shirt :S)
              It might be a bit cold at this time of the year. I would wear long gym pants.

Comment

I picked up some long, but light cotton exercise trousers, hopefully wont be too cold, may take my thermal bottoms with me just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel View Post
                  Shorts like basketball or football shorts?

If so, some guys in my dojo used them when they were starting. I think they are comfortable and you can see better the footwork than with joggings ...

However, the answer is always "ask your sensei", right? :P
                  Hmm well said

Comment

The real short and long when it comes to attire in martial arts (especially kendo, not stoo much iaido, but there is alot of choses in attire) is you always get the OK fro myour sensei first,
                    As for quality and first set etc, it comes down to how old you are, teens in martial arts tend to grow out of there attire quite quick, so they generally get cheaper ones until there growing tones down a bit.
                    I'v sort of been a bit of an advocate for getting good quality first, my new Iai gear wasn't what you might call "entry level"
                    I got them from Aoi-Budogu
                    I got the Supreme Regular Iaido Gi, Kimonon Style Supreme Iaigi (or Montsuki) there Deluxe permanent pleat Hakama (great investment) and 2 Deluxe Kaku Obi,
                    They where the best they had, and I haven't regretted paying the extra money for them, there beautifully made and easy to keep and store.
                    Yet when I started kendo as a young boy my parents bought me a simple Hakama and a white and black stripe musashi gi, they where fine for my kendo needs, providing you folded the hakama properly and washed the gi properly there was no problem. It also comes down to whether you want to (or can justifie) spending the extra money, if your short on money for Martial Arts gear like alot of entry level students, you need to fit your budget.
                    I'v never tried nine ciricle honestly, I was a bit suprised to hear my sensei's story of using gear from Nine Circles,
                    He told me he was training on a very hot day, and his Gi was literally peeling off from his back,
                    I don't know if it was a deffective gi, had he washed or cared for it wrong, or what the deal might'v been, but I'v never tried them.

But if your at an entry level and want some descent gear, look ar OnlineKendo.com
                    They have great stuff for reasonable prices, all my shinai come from them and I'v always been more than happy with the service, they will happily do alot of custom stuff too.
                    My first bogu I ever owned came from them, as did my sons, and with descent care, they are still great pieces of equipment,

If your interested throw me a PM and I'll give you some comparisons on gear and prices.

Regards

Scully

Comment

Working...
                    X