X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new and got a few questions.....

Hey, I am new to this board. I have always been amazed by japanese sword fight, but I do not know the terms or anything. I know what a few weapons are called and so on, but can you guys post some things about weapons, fighting style, and so on to help me out?? All I know is, I like swords, but thanks to a friend, I haved watched a few episodes of Rurouni Kenshin, and then I was total hooked about katanas and sakabatous.I live near Seattle Washington, and if anyone knows a good place to learn japanese swords fight, please tell me, I want to leanr more. Thanks for all your help guys.

right.

Dude. I'm not sure I speak for everyone taking the kendo journey, but Kendo isn't about cutting up stuff. In fact japanese fencing and what you see in anime are completely different (and usually bull*&%$). Iaito is probably what you may want to check out, but you need to be REALLY patient and dedicated (and you would be best to do kendo first).

I know it takes almost a year before kendo students at my dojo are seen as ready to wear a full kendo armor, before this its alot of swing practise and blocking excercises. My sensei is a 79 years old japanese guy that has been doing kendo since he was a kid and he reckons he still has much to learn about kendo.

I'm not in your country so I can't help you with dojos, but check your local universities for clubs. Tell us how you go and if your prepared for it.

Comment

Hey thanks man about explaining a few things. I know that this type of treaining is hard, and it takes ALOT of time to master. All I really want to do with it right now is try to get my mind away from my mom dying of cancer right now, and this might make me do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Omnis Varuna
        Hey thanks man about explaining a few things. I know that this type of treaining is hard, and it takes ALOT of time to master. All I really want to do with it right now is try to get my mind away from my mom dying of cancer right now, and this might make me do that.
        I'm a beginning kendoka, myself. I live in Washington state, too -- southwest, however. The dojo I train at is in the Portland, OR area.

You, living near Seattle, shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a kendo dojo. Some dojo also include iaido, as Onikage mentioned. However, on these forums, I've seen it argued whether one should study kendo before iaido, or not. I have very little experience in iai, but what my understanding is, after having read the accounts of several others, the difference in technique between both kendo and iaido is pretty big.

Here is a small directory of what is available in Washington. I'm not sure if this site is update or not, as I don't visit it regularly.

http://www.kendo-usa.org/statedojolist.htm#WA

Comment

there's plenty of dojos in seattle and near the seattle area. there's one in kent, renton, bellevue, everett, tacoma, etc. where do you live at exactly?

Comment

Well, I did not want to say before, but I live in the Bremerton/Silverdale area. I can almost get around the area with my skates and all, but I have looked around and there are not many dojo in this area. I think there was one in the area, but it was not keep up, and if anyone does go to it and is on this forum, please forgive me. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Comment

Well, I did not want to say before, but I live in the Bremerton/Silverdale area. I can almost get around the area with my skates and all, but I have looked around and there are not many dojo in this area. I think there was one in the area, but it was not keep up, and if anyone does go to it and is on this forum, please forgive me. Thanks for the help so far guys.
              Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Hey, are you kidding? There are LOTS of dojo in Seattle. If you are very sertious and realise you can't be like Kenshin(Sorry, just making sure, and no offense. Koryu - Classical Japanese sword arts: Kenjutsu./Iaido, people discourage the anime wannabes.) then that's great you are interested in the Japanese sword arts.

Please ask this question on e-budo.com. There are a few Koryu sensei(teacher) and students there who live in Seattle, who can help you out. There is lots of Kendo there in Seattle, too.

Here is the e-budo forums main page. Please be aware that it is a serious forum that requires you to sign your posts with your full given name. The register button is at the top of the page.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/index.php

After registering, please go back to the main list of forums(The page I just gave you.) and scroll down until you get to the forum called "Sword Arts." This is where you should post your question about a dojo.

For Kendo, please check also this page from the All US Kendo Federation's site. Your state is listed at the very top of the page, and scroll to see the dojos listed.

http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/States/W_States.htm

Please DO call the sensei before you visit any dojo. This is the proper etiquette. You'll call and ask the sensei permission to come watch a practice, as that is pretty much the way it is done. The same goes for any Koryu Kenjutsu/Iaido dojo.

Please do go to e-budo, as you will get the most help there, in regard to Koryu, since I know there are Seattle guys there. If I can find anything myself,(Well, I know I can, but the guys there just know all about Seattle and dojo there.) I will get back to you. But, please head there.

I'm sorry about your Mom. I hope she is doing ok, and that you are doing ok too. Hang in there.

Kaoru

Comment

Hey, thanks for the help. I know I will NEVER be as good as Kenshin. Well, DUH! He is from an anime. I just have never seen fights like that that are very detailed and that is when I really wanted to learn Kendo. I looked at the page you showed me, but all those Dojos are in Seattle, and I live in Bremerton. I do not have a job at the minute, so paying for a trip to Seattle for each practice is kinda pricey after some time. I have one more question and I will be out of your hair for a little bit. How much does it cost normally to go to one of these Dojos for about a month?? Thanks guys.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the help. I know I will NEVER be as good as Kenshin. Well, DUH! He is from an anime. I just have never seen fights like that that are very detailed and that is when I really wanted to learn Kendo. I looked at the page you showed me, but all those Dojos are in Seattle, and I live in Bremerton. I do not have a job at the minute, so paying for a trip to Seattle for each practice is kinda pricey after some time. I have one more question and I will be out of your hair for a little bit. How much does it cost normally to go to one of these Dojos for about a month?? Thanks guys.
                  Hi!

You're welcome.

Well, you can't go for just a month. Try talking a parent or other relative into driving you if you can. Going once or twice a month is better than none at all.

Kendo is really fun to do and it also isn't easy! I think you should at least try to find a relative who can help drive you once or twice a month. Look on a map to see how far the nearest dojo is. And, ask on e-budo about the Koryu arts. They'll be different dojos, not in Kendo dojos. Although, there may be Iaido in a Kendo dojo. I mean, that not all Iaido is in a Kendo dojo. haha, I hope that just made sense!

Kaoru

Comment

Ahh back from a long slumber. Well a normal class would cost about 20-30 dollars a month. Most times it will depend on your situation as well, e.g. student and age. There are also other dues and then theres bogu and supplies. But first few practices they will provide you with what you need so you can see if you like it. If you do then you can buy the rest or perhaps rent it if available.

Comment

Well, after being gone for a long time I am back, sorry for not posting. Well, I have not yet looked at a dojo to go to yet and I cannot go until another few weeks or so. I am an indoor ((Not ice)) speed skater and I sometime go outside to skate around my town. The reason I put that in is because I spend about $1,000 each year for new skate, not counting the practices, so it adds up after a bit. I still need to talk to him more about it, but so far he is ok with the idea of it. I am wondering this; Are there any kendo users/senseis in the Bremerton/Silverdale area, because I cannot make the trip to Seattle ((closes place for a dojo to what I have found)) each time there is a practice or when I want to go. I am still trying to get over my moms death, and I think the kendo will help me let go off the pain and the anger I have. Still, I am trying my best from not going out and beating someone up due to my mom's death, or get hurt while I am skating. Wow, sorry to go on for so long, but I had to get that off my chest. Well, talk to ya all later.

Comment

i'll try to help you out as mch as i can. i go to the bellevue dojo. There it is 50$ for a quarter. you can buy kendo materials through the club. There is a dojo in whitecenter, renton and sno-king. i really dont know much about the other dojos because although i have visited them, i dont have a membership to them.

Comment

Errr. Sakabatous are fictional...just...thought I'd add that there...Just trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                          X