X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi im new and i have a few questons

Hi im new here and i stumbled across here when i was looking for a dojo withen my area to begin learning kendo and i had a few questions.

My first one is I live in CT and im 17 years old and i was wandering if the dojo at Yale or Stamford has an age like limit like you have to be 18. I know it sounds stupid but i wanted to be sure.

And like how much it costs just like not an exact amount but like for refrence.

I want to get into it because i have always been interested in the art in japanese swords. Plus my moms freind was a huge martial artist and studied ninjitsu and i found martial arts always intersting. Also i like to watch old movies and have an inters in Japan. And stupidly i like anime and think thats cool but i obviusly knw things in animes cant happen. I also wanna learn self control and to be one with myself. And the training sounds like a challenge strict and rigerous. Something to get into and do for many years.

So now that that opening is over with drop my post a line

hahaha, you sound like a very "cool" kid. So sure, i'll drop you a line now that your opening is done. Being 17, life certainly isn't at all that busy for you, considering it is summer for you and in the U.S you should be in your summer vacation right now. If you really are that interested in kendo, why don't you do some research yourself? I can even give you a direction. Try AUSKF on search engines. You'd be a bit surprised at how many "senior members" here will tell you the same of what I said. Let me know your joy when you've put in some effort in an affair that is of your immense interest.! Good luck,

Comment

Most dojo don't limit by age but Yale or Stamford might have to restrict membership to students - better talk to them directly. Usually kendo is pretty cheap, aside from buying the armour which you won't have to worry about for a while. Again, talk to the clubs to find out their fees - it's not standardised.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackel
        Hi im new here and i stumbled across here when i was looking for a dojo withen my area to begin learning kendo and i had a few questions.
        Originally posted by Jackel

My first one is I live in CT and im 17 years old and i was wandering if the dojo at Yale or Stamford has an age like limit like you have to be 18. I know it sounds stupid but i wanted to be sure.

And like how much it costs just like not an exact amount but like for refrence.

I want to get into it because i have always been interested in the art in japanese swords. Plus my moms freind was a huge martial artist and studied ninjitsu and i found martial arts always intersting. Also i like to watch old movies and have an inters in Japan. And stupidly i like anime and think thats cool but i obviusly knw things in animes cant happen. I also wanna learn self control and to be one with myself. And the training sounds like a challenge strict and rigerous. Something to get into and do for many years.

So now that that opening is over with drop my post a line

Hi Jackel-san,

No, there is not an age limit. Although, some dojo affiliated with a University has rules about who can train and what to do if they want to train, because of University rules about non-University students joining. Yale's dojo has such a rule. Please go here and read the bottom of the page for information on that:

http://www.kendoka.org/dojos_yu.html

-------------------

Here is the Stamford dojo information:

http://www.kendoka.org/dojos_ct.html

This dojo is not University afilliated.

--------------

Anyway, there is also a Kendo dojo in Mddleton. I don't know your location, so I'll let you look on a map to see how far away it is. It is the Kendo Club at Wesleyan University.

Here is the information:

sensei: Yoshi Yonekawa
        e-mail: yyonekawa@wesleyan.edu
        Ph. 860-685-7370

Also, you can contact Justin Leroy, who is also a contact person.

e-mail: jleroy@wesleyan.edu
        Ph: 860-685-4696

Here are the two pages I found this information at:

http://www.wesleyan.edu/wesunity/wsagroups00-01.html

http://www.wesleyan.edu/wsa/groups/contactlist.htm#k

The Kendo Club does not have it's own website. It is also not listed anywhere on the AUSKF site as far as I am aware of.

------------------

Well, I hope this helps. Do be sure to call first before attending a class to ask to watch a practice. You'll be expected to watch a practice first, and that's pretty standard.

Since the cost question was answered, I'll just leave it, since Neil said it all.

Good luck!

Kaoru

Comment

Working...
        X