Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-Sighted Question

Hi,

I am interested in starting kendo but I have one really stupid question to get over first. Any advice would be appreciated from amongst the muffled laughter......

I am a little short-sighted and usually wear glasses. I am guessing that this is a non-starter due to the extreme risk of getting whacked on the head, and also I suppose that glasses do not fit too well under a men.

I can wear contact lenses if I have to, but I would rather avoid them if possible.

How do the visually challenged members of the kendo community cope with this kind of thing ?

Thanks,

They make special glasses for folks such as you.

http://kendoshop.com/eshop/index.php...lag=catedetail

Comment

Hello there.

I also have to wear glasses for short sightedness. To give you an idea of my own sight, I am sitting with a laptop on a table right now and when I take off m glasses I have to squint to get focus to read the screen. This has never stopped me from doing kendo, and at the moment, despite my shortsight and not using glasses or contact lenses during practise or competition,I have had my fair share of competition success and am a member of the national team. You can overcome it no problem.

Gibbo

Comment

Contacts work the best but there are several styles of glasses made especially to fit under the men. Lots of us have this problem, so don't let it put you off kendo. Also, you'll have a few months of practice with no armour before you need to worry about special glasses or contacts.

I would suggest that contacts are cheaper (unless you have special requirements), work better and have more universal application in your non-kendo life. Learning to wear them is a Good Thing.

Comment

Why don't you like contacts? I wear them whenever I wear armor and I have no problems beyond them drying out from time to time.

They do make glasses that would fit in the men, but I'd have to agree with Neil that the contacts would be cheaper in the long run. If you buy those glasses, they are only useful when you are wearing armor. But if you get contacts, you can wear them anytime and anywhere.

Comment

Hi Mark123-San

Welcome to KW-Forum...

There are a good few Kendoka who regularly post on this forum who have a wide-range of physical constraints... in fact I seem to remember that at least one is registered blind...

I am sure that they will soon contribute to this thread and you will realise that your short-sightedness will not be a major issue ... just make sure that your Kendo Teacher is aware of the implications and he / she will advise you appropriately...

Wherabouts are you based in the UK?

Cheers

Comment

Someone in our class has to wear glasses all the time and he manages without glasses/contacts when in bogu. I dont know how bad his eyesight is but he still manages to give me a good beating.

Comment

Vision

I need glasses big time. The only problems I had with my regular wire-frame glasses (wearing armor) were
                1. The hinges touched the sides of the men.
                2. If I got whacked on the side of the men, the force was transferred to my nose!
                I got some sports goggles, which wrap around my face well enough to avoid these problems. But they tended to fog up MUCH worse then regular glasses, so I need to use an anti-fog product on them. The best one is sold in sports stores and dive shops and is called 200' VIS. It is a gel that you rub on (a very small amount) and polish till dry. Very effective.

When not wearing armor (for kata) regular glasses are fine, no strap to hold them, no anti-fog required.

Comment

Short-sighted question

Thanks for all the advice guys.

In answer to your question Crabbi, I am based in Brighton.

Comment

Mark123,

I'm short-sighted (quite badly might i add!) and I don't wear my glasses during a class. I'm only a beginner (6 months training) but everytime we've had to hit motodachi in bogu I don't miss. Definitely dont let it put you off kendo, cos I didn't and neither should you

Comment

Hi Mark123-San

The best approach would be for you to go to a Dojo and talk to the Sensei... this will put your mind at rest and give you a chance to watch a training session...

Try these for starters:

British Kendo Renmei:
                      http://www.georgedillon.com/kendo/bu...ndo_dojo.shtml (Brighton)

British Kendo Association:
                      http://www.kendo.org.uk/shinbukan/ (Horsham)

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by stuartwilson
                        I need glasses big time. The only problems I had with my regular wire-frame glasses (wearing armor) were
                        1. The hinges touched the sides of the men.
                        2. If I got whacked on the side of the men, the force was transferred to my nose!
                        I got some sports goggles, which wrap around my face well enough to avoid these problems. But they tended to fog up MUCH worse then regular glasses, so I need to use an anti-fog product on them. The best one is sold in sports stores and dive shops and is called 200' VIS. It is a gel that you rub on (a very small amount) and polish till dry. Very effective.
                        Chiba bogu have a solution for glasses http://www.chibabogu.com/catalog/inf...php?info_id=21

Does somebody use it ?

Comment

I also have that problem, and I have yet to find a solution. My main problem is that I can't wear contacts. I tried them for about a month or so, and at the end my eyes were so irritaded that the optician told me that I can't wear them anymore.

BTW, the KendoShop glasses are back order, FYI.

Comment

My eyes are like -5.5/-6.0 and I have the same problem with contacts falling out when my eyes are too tired and dry. So now I wear monthly disposables. I only put them on when I go to keiko, or when I need to look less like a nerd...

Maybe try the daily disposables... Your optician may give you better advice, but 1-Day has the highest water content among all (so you can't feel it). They are also much cleaner because you can hardly build deposit in them. MUCH more pricey tho

Comment

I wear contacts to and my eyes get all bloodshot always after keiko. Looks like I was just blazing or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X