X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirituality and true meaning

Im sorry if I should not create another "question topic" since I've already got one. But this is something total different from my other one.

I am a spiritual person, I have been studying the paranormal since I was a kid. Mostly because my family have experienced alot in it. Been seeing alot of fake stuff and alot of reality.

I meditate two hours every day and Astral Project most of the nights. I love meditating in the nature and Im very fascinated by the japanese sword art. They meditated alot and were very spiritual.

I see Kendo not just as a "Sword-combat-technique" but something spiritual and good for your inner self. So this is mostly meant for the persons in here that are practicing Kendo (Since I have not started yet)

Do you feel Kendo is Spiritual? In that case , describe how it is for you

__

The true meaning of Kendo?

The Samurais was taught in the way of defeating your enemy (I think?) And of course alot of spirituality involved. However they were trained to protect and to be good in wars.

Kendo comes from japan culture (right?) But what Is the true meaning of Kendo?
    It's not about defeating your "enemy" right? It's something more then that. The last question would be.. that is pretty crucial to me

I've read articles about Kendo and talked to some people pracitcing it, and I get the feeling that kendo is taught mostly for competitions. Scoring "Clean hits" and knowing all the rules.

So I wonder, Is Kendo mostly for competitions? Sure competitions are fun and so on. But I'm searching after connecting with the old japanese culture and not how to score good points :P

But maybe I'm wrong? Maybe Kendo got alot of the old culture within. You tell me!

Hmm I also wonder, just in fantasy. If a war came with using swords again, would Kendo be useful? Or is it mostly for competitions? That would answer the question above really.

(And No im not a war-person searching for fights. I just try to connect to the old japan as much as possible since it's fascinate me very much, So I don't want to learn something that is mostly about competitions with alot of rules, because rules of competitions did not exist in wars or old teachings)

All answers is highly appreciated, And I hope to get serious answers and not negative ones

My first impulse was to say something negative, but i realise this is due to my personal prejudices

i'm not a spiritual person so i cant really help

maybe someone like Musha can share his thoughts

Comment

I don't think that most of the time when samurais fight others in war, they will have anything more spiritual than modern soldiers kill others in modern war. Don't fall in to romanticized story.

However, I do believe that kendo have spiritual side, but I can't explain, let find out yourselves. Many do not emphasize on competitive part of kendo, you can even practice it without participate in competition, if you want. However, IMHO they are all parts of kendo.
      Last edited by KenShi_JoB; 29th April 2005, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Ahh your in the samurai phase, rent alot of movies, google stuff and read books about it, usually after 6 months of this you will be over ancient japan. Samurai is exactly the same as a grunt in my eyes, the top samurai are like our special forces. Spirit is in everything, reading a book can be spiritual and so can just sitting and breathing.

Comment

Very true, Samurai phase? hm yes I have alot of interest in japanese culture, and samurais involves that

Anyone have an answer for my second question? About competitions?

Comment

Originally posted by Clash
            Very true, Samurai phase? hm yes I have alot of interest in japanese culture, and samurais involves that

Anyone have an answer for my second question? About competitions?
            Depends on the dojo. Some are competition-oriented, others are technic-oriented... As a 4th kyu I've never been in any competition but I've seen one. Many people forget form and style and just try to score some half-assed 'ippon'. Crouching, ducking, shoving, head dodging, it's not pretty. It's not easy too to keep correct form when doing jigeiko.

You don't have to do competitions (shiai) but there is mandatory sparring (jigeiko) for gradings.

Comment

Thanks, Can you give me tips on how I know that Im not inside a "Competition-dojo" ?

Comment

try a different approach to the so-called 'shiai-style' techniques like having the mindset of what would a swordsman would do in the same situation, not a tournament player. in a 'competition-dojo', you will practice techniques which are fast, but would do very little if they were live blades. the main thing to watch is the emphasis on cuts, versus taps. both are points, but taps are faster. forgetting the arguments about 'clean kendo' or speed in shiai, what do you think would a swordsman do? that is probably the closest i think i can explain what i'm trying to say and hopefully it'll help. oh and also, to make this clearer, take an iaido class. both work hand in hand with each other, and iaido emphasizes cuts and i would say is far more 'spiritual' than kendo - much more focus is needed.

Comment

Alright! will do.

Thanks for the great tips

Comment

Originally posted by Clash
                    I see Kendo not just as a "Sword-combat-technique" but something spiritual and good for your inner self. So this is mostly meant for the persons in here that are practicing Kendo (Since I have not started yet)

Do you feel Kendo is Spiritual? In that case , describe how it is for you
                    Watch somebody who is in deep conversation with his/her boyfriend or girlfriend. They are so tuned in to each other that they notice, and respond to, every little change in facial expression and every bit of body language. Their focus is not on what they are saying or doing (that comes out automatically), but on the effect they are having on the other person.

When we engage an opponent in Kendo keiko, it is like being connected in a deep conversation. Everything you do depends on them, and everything they do depends on you. When your partner is a sensei, that connection is like being plugged into an energy source of amazing power.

From a philosophical standpoint, the Eastern mystical religions seem to send the same basic message, that nothing can exist by itself, things only exist in relationship to other things. Only by connecting to others can we know who we are.

I like the kind of connection with others that I can make through Kendo. My Kendo friends challenge me, and elevate me, and sometimes smack me down when I need it. The effect is that I come away with a sense of where I am, and where I need to go. That, to me, is the goal of spirituality.

Of course true spirituality cannot be confined to a certain time, place, or activity. To make my Kendo truly spiritual I have to draw parallels into my life outside the dojo and apply what I've learned. But everything starts with fully engaging someone or something outside oneself. Some people I know seem to float through life without ever fully engaging anything or anyone, and I think they are missing a chance to know themselves, and the world, on a deeper level.

Comment

Working...
                    X