Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there techniques or kata for the kanabo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there techniques or kata for the kanabo?

Hi,

Lately I've been interested in some other samurai weapons besides the katana but in my dojo we just practice kendo and iaido, I found a naginata manual which is great but let say is not convinient to practice indoors with it, so my next choice would be the kanabo, the more I research about it the more I like it. (I know how it sounds like, but don't think I'm a kid with a risk of braking something at home, I got a special place in the house to practice iaido and I would take the needed precautions)

I found a mace-like log that I could craft and use as a kanabo, but I don't want to be just randomly swinging that thing as a baseball bat, I know that to get proper training I need a sensei, but I guess this would be hard to find and anyway I just want to use the kanabo for fun and cultural background, not aiming to any kind of mastery on it, just want to have a little accuracy on my technique.

Any resource you could share with me would be great,
    Or if it is named as a different martial art let me know, maybe I can´t find anything about it because I'm not searching using the right words.

Thanks

I don't even know what a "kanabo" is......

Comment

It's basically a big metal club. Oni are often depicted as carrying them. Wikipedia has an article on these things.

Comment

I looked up kanabojutsu on Youtube and found a bunch of backyard ninjery.

Comment

Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere.

Comment

Of course the first thing you really need to do is to choose an appropriate kanabo with the proper length and balance for your body. On popular amongst kenshi is:
            http://www.nihonzashi.com/bokken_shi...s/DSC_5692.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
              Of course the first thing you really need to do is to choose an appropriate kanabo with the proper length and balance for your body. On popular amongst kenshi is:
              http://www.nihonzashi.com/bokken_shi...s/DSC_5692.jpg
              He shoots....HE SCORES!

Comment

Working...
              X