Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Things you should know before buying a sword!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Things you should know before buying a sword!!!

Just got around to reading this, and thought it might prove useful to others.
    http://www.bugei.com/tenthings.html

Enjoy.

It certainly will prove useful to Bugei to help sell their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
      It certainly will prove useful to Bugei to help sell their products.
      I didn't intend it that way. The info within would be good to have for anyone new to swords.
      Though I am guite fond of my bugei, I did not post this as an add for bugei. Sorry if it seems that way.

Comment

....blame it on the bugei.... ROFL....!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tattooedasshole
          I didn't intend it that way. The info within would be good to have for anyone new to swords.
          Some of it. Lots of it is a blatant plug for their particular manufacturing techniques.

Comment

Like or dislike?

So Neil, do you dislike Bugei's swords?

Comment

Neil,

If one were looking for a sword for both iaido and kendo kata, what would be the most important things to look for?

Comment

I don't have an opinion on Bugei one way or the other. Their reputation is quite good. I'm just pointing out that the information presented there is naturally pointing people towards their own products.

Joe, swords for both iaido and kendo kata are at cross-purposes. If you ever handle a kendo kata sword, you will find that it is overall quite heavy compared to iaito and because of this the balance is also forward. I think it would be a poor choice for iaido, especially for a new student, and would potentially lead to repetitive strain injuries. All the recommendations I've seen for iaito for new students tend to be towards lighter and better balance.

My own personal feeling is the most important thing on a iaito is a good wrap. But I'm not a iaidoka so they may have different ideas. Ask Tim if he's lurking around here.
                Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 9th June 2005, 07:55 AM.

Comment

It doesn't have that much useful to say, if you really look at the content. The use of 'Samurai Sword' instead of katana certainly makes it look like they are targeting people who have no knowledge about swords to start with.

Comment

Thank you.

Neil, thank you for clearing that up. I had been of the opinion that an iaito for kendo and an iaito for iaido were identical. I'm still a very long way from purchasing either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
                      It doesn't have that much useful to say, if you really look at the content. The use of 'Samurai Sword' instead of katana certainly makes it look like they are targeting people who have no knowledge about swords to start with.
                      Samurai sword refers to tachi, katana, wakizashi, tanto, and a few other types of swords. Since most manufacturers make wakizashi and tanto, I think that the term "samurai sword" fits just fine, and is not specificaly for those without knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                      X