• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• books on Kendo

Whats the best book(s) on kendo?

This is Kendo - Junzo Sasamori and Gordon Warner
    The Shamballah Guide to Kendo - Minoru Kiyota
    Kendo - The Definitive Guide - Hiroshi Ozawa

The Shamballah Guide is more of the philosophical and spiritual study of kendo, while Ozawa-sensei's book is much broader in scope, covering equipment, posture, footwork, tournaments, glossary, etc.

Comment

I've read several books on kendo, and there is one I like more than all the others. Unfortunately I loaned it to a fellow student, and I have no idea what the name is. I'll see him tomorrow and ask him for it back. Then I'll repost.

Comment

Outside of Kendo World Magazine, I would say that Ozawa's book is the best I read. It's very comprehensive in that it covers equipment, philosophy, famous swordsman, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
          This is Kendo - Junzo Sasamori and Gordon Warner
          The Shamballah Guide to Kendo - Minoru Kiyota
          Kendo - The Definitive Guide - Hiroshi Ozawa

The Shamballah Guide is more of the philosophical and spiritual study of kendo, while Ozawa-sensei's book is much broader in scope, covering equipment, posture, footwork, tournaments, glossary, etc.

if you're just beginning, definately check out kendo-the definitive guide. i own that one and its a good book. there are things i wish i covered though....

but its 99.8% of everything you'll ever want to know.

Comment

I was thinking of subscribing to the KWM can you tell me what kind of kendo related topics there are etc?

Lots of pics?

Thanks

Comment

I found the book "Miyamoto Musashi:His life and Writings" by Kenji Tokitsu to be very interesting.

Comment

I am in agreement about the book by Ozawa. I am reading through it now, and it is very helpful. The sensei and sempai at my dojo have all suggested it to me.

Comment

Kendo: Elements, Rules, and Philosophy by Dr. Tokeshi is a really good book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...73407?v=glance

Comment

Another vote for Kendo: The Definitive Guide.

I bought this book back when I made my first attempt to study Kendo and it's been a huge help to me in preparing to return to Kendo. I'm not sure if the appendices for tournaments and judging are still up to date, but the descriptions and diagrams for various techniques and kata are very clear. A very comprehensive book for such a deceptively small size.

Comment

Hiroshi Ozawa's book is perfect, i cant put it down d^^)

Comment

read the "heart of kendo" by darrell max craig. its not as informative as the ozawa book but it gives execellent insight into the history of kendo and the mentality of the samurai. The style of kendo covered in this book is the hokushin itto ryu style. To my knowledge there are only 2 hokushin schools in the US. houston TX and fresno CA. with Heart of kendo, kendo:the definitive guide, and the book of the 5 rings you should have enough kendo lit. to comtemplate for a very long time.
                        Last edited by Kapplow; 3rd September 2005, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Ozawa-sensei's book is amazing, though it is a little pricey. But for such a small book it packs a lot more than most others, and is not too hard to understand.

Comment

Looks like Kendo: The Definitive Guide is the way to go.

Comment

Ozawa's book and the Japanese-English kendo dictionary.

Only 2 I have so far. Might get Paul Budden's one or "this is kendo" sometime.

Got the Twilight Watch to read just now though

Comment

Working...
                              X