Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of starting. Just a few noob questions..

I have also posted in the Iaido forums, I just want to get as much info as possible before I start anything.

1)Is Kendo practice a workout? Is it physically tough, tougher than Iaido in terms of muscle groups and what not?

2)How long does it take to get into a "bogu"? Does it depend on the dojo?

3)What is a kata? Does anyone have a video clip of a Kata?

4)Anyone here live in Toronto,Ontario? Know of a good dojo?

Thanks for dealing with me ppls.

haha well i guess i'll start off again. w00t.
    kendo, especially during practice with bogu, can be a workout for sure...and that's an understatement. it is definately tougher and faster and uses more calories than iaido. as for bogu, it does depend from dojo to dojo. many dojos are by permission of the sensei, or by attaining a certain kyu rank. rarely do dojos allow one to begin in bogu right off the bat, although i hear that kumdo does it more often than not. kendo kata is a prescribed set of actions that is practiced in pairs, where one attacks and makes a mistake and the other counterattacks. there are kata clips on the kendo-world downloads page. scroll down to where it says pre-war kata. finally, there is a dojo at the University of Toronto, where a Canadian National team member practices and also is a sensei. oooh nito.....There is also the JCCC kendo club, at the japanese canadian cultural centre; this club has a long history and has some of the country's best kendoka...or so i'm told. There are 3 other clubs in toronto, and they are at this site http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

Comment

Originally posted by R05h
      I have also posted in the Iaido forums, I just want to get as much info as possible before I start anything.

1)Is Kendo practice a workout? Is it physically tough, tougher than Iaido in terms of muscle groups and what not?

2)How long does it take to get into a "bogu"? Does it depend on the dojo?

3)What is a kata? Does anyone have a video clip of a Kata?

4)Anyone here live in Toronto,Ontario? Know of a good dojo?

Thanks for dealing with me ppls.
      1) Kendo is (at least to me) physically harder than Iaido, being fit is very good for kendo but kendo itself is not very good at getting fit
      2) Depends on the dojo and the student.
      3) Kata are series of set movements representing a combat situation. In Kendo they are done with a partner, in Iaido they are solo. Videos of both Iaido and Kendo Kata are available in the Kendo World Site
      4) Check the Canadian Kendo Federation website

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I'm still looking into it further.

Comment

kendo is definitley more of a workout than iaido(not saying iaido isint cool, its great) anyway kendo has a lot of physical things involved. once you get into bogu its almost a constant workout. it is differnt from iaido becuase you use the sword differentially in kendo to insure safety and what not.

Kata is basically a set of forms of two people fighting. They show you what happens when someone makes a mistake and gives the other a chance to counter attack.

hope this helped,

Wolf

Comment

I still dont really get what a KATA is....sounds weird/

Comment

Originally posted by R05h
              I still dont really get what a KATA is....sounds weird/
              Maybe click on the video link Lloromannic posted for you?

Comment

Kata is a prearranged fight, essentially. We use wooden swords, nobody gets hit. Kata is how the older schools of swordsmanship practice, as you can't practice contact with wood or steel. Most of kendo is practised with bamboo swords, wearing armour, and there people hit full-speed.

Comment

Working...
                X