Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you do?

Silly question.

I was just wondering what would be the verb used for participating in the activity of kendo. Does one do kendo? Do you play kendo? See, to me using the term "playing" kendo kinda belittles it. And doing kendo just sounds wierd.

My solution for this kind of problem is to turn the noun into the verb itself. For example, I am an architecture student and therefore I do a lot of activities that surround architecture. Too many to go into detail about. So what do I do? I architecture! This is also especially helpful when creating entusiasm to people. "Hey, come on!! Let's Architecture!"

...so then i kinda do the same for kendo. "No, I can't talk right now, I have to kendo. Kendo like the wind."

Ummm.... I kind of lost on what you've mentioned, but usually I just say "I practice kendo". Hope it helps.

Comment

I agree!
      I always tend to think of myself as studying budo/kendo, as it's a serious and constantly challenging pursuit.

But anyway, verbing funs english.
      Let's enjoy kendoing.

Comment

i either study or learn kendo. nothing else seems to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by jastastic
          Silly question.

IMy solution for this kind of problem is to turn the noun into the verb itself. For example, I am an architecture student and therefore I do a lot of activities that surround architecture. Too many to go into detail about. So what do I do? I architecture! This is also especially helpful when creating entusiasm to people. "Hey, come on!! Let's Architecture!"
          it sounds silly. really. you're trying to change some hundreds of years of perfecting english. it's like saying.

"me fail english? it's unpossible!"

though the thought is understood, it sounds wrong.

~taganahan

Comment

There are many, many posts on this topic elsewhere. Give the search function a spin.

Comment

Try this thread http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7509

Comment

Originally posted by taganahan
                you're trying to change some hundreds of years of perfecting english.
                Perfecting english?
                English is known as the language that slept its way to the top, because it is its felxibility and ability to adapt that has made it so successful (well, that and the british empire).

The word silly in english used to be slig, meaning blessed.
                Are you perhaps suggesting that it sounds worthy of worship?

Language is our playground, but kendo we take seriously.

Comment

Fun to having language web instrument!

English is very flexible. . . It can, however, be broken.

Comment

There are kids in Japan who are trying to do the same thing, actually. For example, making suburi into a verb, 'suburu'. If teacher hears you'll have to do extra kakarigeiko!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofmyrrh
                      There are kids in Japan who are trying to do the same thing, actually. For example, making suburi into a verb, 'suburu'. If teacher hears you'll have to do extra kakarigeiko!
                      kakarigeikoru?

Comment

Originally posted by Hotei
                        English is very flexible. . . It can, however, be broken.

www.engrish.com

Language something error happens.
                        My kendo style is satisfied with this one!
                        I'll be able to make my wonderful life.
                        Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                        X