X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of sparring questions

Okay ive seen some kendo clips, and ive noticed something. I noticed a lot of respect, which I expected of course, and I also noticed the crowd. They are silent, none of them speak, no one talk everyone watches. Is cheering not aloud? Is that a rule for tournemants?

Also, do the fighters know if they have scored a point? Do they know that they are winning? I've noticed none of them cheer when they win....

Please dont kill me for these questions....

Originally posted by R05h
    Okay ive seen some kendo clips, and ive noticed something. I noticed a lot of respect, which I expected of course, and I also noticed the crowd. They are silent, none of them speak, no one talk everyone watches. Is cheering not aloud? Is that a rule for tournemants?

Also, do the fighters know if they have scored a point? Do they know that they are winning? I've noticed none of them cheer when they win....

There is occasional cheering. When one person has scored a point the judges raise their flag, that way everyone knows who got the point.

Comment

Usually, crowd is not allowed to yelling and cheering. Occasional clapping is okay. It is because referee is not only using their visual but also listening is required to know if it was valid hit or not. When you hit your opponent right way, there is a certain sounds coming from Kote, Men or Do. Referee need to hear such sounds to make sure it was valid point. Problem is when you watch video, you can hardly hear such sounds. When you are at actual shiai, you can hear them.

Comment

How about fighter celebration? After the bows and what not? I think its interesting that there is so much respect for your oppenents.

Comment

How about fighter celebration? After the bows and what not? I think its interesting that there is so much respect for your oppenents.
          A Kendo match is not seen just as a competition, but also as an act of mutual, spontaneous, creation. We can't create an enjoyable match without a good opponent, so it would only hurt us to put our opponents down. If anything, we want to build our opponents up, so we can have better matches with them.

Comment

Absolutely, positively not (well, maybe a very subtle low-five with a teammate after you're all done). The shiai represents combat, and if you've won - the other guy is "dead". You go over to your opponent first, and thank him for the opportunity to learn. It's time to reflect on what happened, not to brag.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
              X