X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Proper" Seiza

What is the proper method or way to seiza? Sometimes I lean more to my right leg *but I don't look as if I'm tilting, just straight but I use my right leg more to support my body*

However, I know this is 'wrong'. So is there a proper way I should stick to for Seiza? *I'm flat-footed*

I seek to be enlightened, thanks.

Seiza is just kneeling on the floor, with your bottom resting on your heels, as close to the ground as your tendons/muscle flexibility/skeleton will allow. Weight should rest evenly on the tops of both feet, nose should be in line with your navel, back straight, chin tucked in, knees two fists' distance apart, hands resting lightly on the tops of your thighs (fingers together), elbows relaxed (neither sticking out nor held against the side of the body), right big toe just overlapped on top of left big toe.

It is painful at first, especially on a hard wooden floor, so practice at home on rug or carpet. Learn to watch TV sitting in seiza. Gradually increase the time you can sit in seiza *properly*. If you still think seiza is hard, go to a Buddhist temple or Yoga class and get them to teach you how to sit in full lotus position (left foot resting on right thigh, right foot on left thigh). Seiza will suddenly seem easy.

If you have had a knee reconstruction or suffer from severe arthritis then you may have an excuse not to try.

b

Comment

I've asked and they said that flat-foot shouldn't over-lap, so kinda like seiza with your feet apart. *just like what you describe except the toe doesn't overlap each other*

I'm trying to seiza every now and then.

Comment

Hello everyone,
        I have been doing Kendo for only two months, so please forgive me if I say anything inappropiate or ignorant. I had a question about Seiza. I am still not used to it, and it's still painful, but I am told that with practice I'll get used to it. I am very heavy and have very muscular legs, I don't know if that matters. Any comment is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninRene
          Hello everyone,
          I have been doing Kendo for only two months, so please forgive me if I say anything inappropiate or ignorant. I had a question about Seiza. I am still not used to it, and it's still painful, but I am told that with practice I'll get used to it. I am very heavy and have very muscular legs, I don't know if that matters. Any comment is appreciated.
          You need to work on it every day if you can until you can make it for at least the 5-15 minutes at the end of class. There's really no special trick to be learned.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninRene
            Hello everyone,
            I still have the same problem occasionally. It will get easier with time and practice. Try sitting in seiza for five minutes (or as long as you can) at a time throughout the day untill you find a comfortable position that you can hold for fifteen to twenty minutes. "SEIZA" literally means "sitting straight" so you may shift you're weight or position to make yourself more comfortable as long as you're back stays staight.

Comment

Thank you for the responses! I'll give it a try on a daily basis ;-)

Comment

Do it while you watch TV. That is usually a good time for it.

Comment

Working...
                X