X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newb asking question about 2-sword technique

ok, so i literally just started looking up some info about 2 hours ago when i came apon this site.
    so hopefully some1 here can help me, some1 who is clueless with basically everything..

so what i am looking for is, as the subject says, a technique (or is is style??) of swordsmanship that uses two katanas.
    im not really looking to learn to 'fight', but rather am intersted in learning, i guess reading about it more to learn exactly how one would handle two swords.

So, if any1 knows of a good place to start looking into this, a book.. i would greatly appriecated it. )

Musashi was the original 2 sword samurai. His book "Book of five rings" is about his ideas on the subject, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for. However, internet searches for his name is a great place to start. Besides if you want to learn about 2 sword tech. you need to learn about him eventually.

Comment

Nito-Ryu

Here is a link to a video about nito ryu.

http://www.e-bogu.com/KENDO_PRINCIPL...-vid-kp4--.htm

Note that learning this is not required for advancement in Kendo: it is an optional thing to study. Also note that it is not something you start with - the video probably assumes knowledge of basic principles.

Comment

Can you read Japanese?

Originally posted by jaggtagg
        ok, so i literally just started looking up some info about 2 hours ago when i came apon this site.
        so hopefully some1 here can help me, some1 who is clueless with basically everything..

so what i am looking for is, as the subject says, a technique (or is is style??) of swordsmanship that uses two katanas.
        im not really looking to learn to 'fight', but rather am intersted in learning, i guess reading about it more to learn exactly how one would handle two swords.

So, if any1 knows of a good place to start looking into this, a book.. i would greatly appriecated it. )
        There is a great website about 2 sword techniques (history, lineages, techniques and application to Kendo matches) at www.musashikai.jp
        But you need to know Japanese, there is no English version.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggtagg

Look for nito. Its fighting with a long and a short sword. Somewhat like fighting with katana and wakizashi.
          I think you can even use it in tournaments!

Comment

Musashi's style, Niten Ichi Ryu is quite different from Kendo Nito Ryu..
            In Niten Ichi Ryu, you attack and defend with both swords, in Nito Ryu the long sword is for attacking, and the short for defending...

Niten Ichi Ryu is better for numerous enemies, Nito Ryu is designed for fighting one person...

IMHO the katana is too heavy to use akimbo effectively, there are much more effective akimbo styles in chinese martial arts...

Comment

ok, so sounds like i need to learn about kendo first.

but i have one more question, AKimbo? what is that?
              And just to clarify..
              Niten Ichi Ryu was delvoped by this Musashi guy, and it uses both swords to attack and defend, which would be what i am looking for, but does it use two "long swords" or a short and a long?

thanks for all ur help! greatly appriciated.

Comment

If it's Niten ichi ryu you want to know about, PM Hyaku, he's the expert in that subject as far as this board is concerned.

Comment

akimbo=2 weapons, one in each hand

niten ichi ryu used one long one short sword, there is no (in my knowledge) art of using two long katanas..

Comment

to the extent of my knowledge musashi miyamoto's niten ichi ryu is the two sword technique of japan. long and short sword were used. never have i heard of two long swords being used

Comment

I've read a little about musashis' style. I'll try to explain it as best I can with my limited knowledge. Anyone, please feel free to correct me.

Niten ichi ryu translates into something like "school of two swords" (could be wrong, I don't speak japanese). It appears to have been developed either towards the late 1500s, or the early 1600s. It uses a long sword held in the right hand and a short sword held in the left. I can't find anything about using 2 longswords. As far as I can tell from the book in front of me, the short sword was used for blocking, and the long sword was used to attack/counterattack. Its said that he developed niten ichi ryu after he noticed that when fighting, he would use the weapon/object in his left hand to block an opponents attack, then quickly move in and counterattack with the sword in his right hand. Again, I could be wrong.

I know jack about nito in kendo today, but i'm pretty sure its different than niten ichi ryu. Again, i'm no expert on this (i'm wwaaayyy on the other end), its just something I like to read about ever now and then.

Comment

no, he says "swing shortly with the short sword, and widely with the long sword, that is the key to using two swords" you attack with both swords..

Comment

Anyone, please feel free to correct me.
                          OK!
                          Niten ichi ryu translates into something like "school of two swords"
                          Nope. Two Heavens Style is what it translates as.
                          It uses a long sword held in the right hand and a short sword held in the left.
                          Sorta. It is actually a one sword style that has some two sword techniques and movements. Several other koryu schools are the same way, but Musashi is a larger than life historical figure. Many plays, books, and movies have shown him using two swords, so people associate two swords with Musashi. The vast majority of Niten Ichi Ryu focuses on single sword work.
                          niten ichi ryu used one long one short sword, there is no (in my knowledge) art of using two long katanas..
                          That is true. There are a couple of schools that have techniques for utilizing two long swords in certain situations, but it is not something that is taught as a matter of course.

To jaggtagg,
                          Why do you not do your own research? Why are you asking people here to research for you? Google and read whatever you can find on the internet. Look for suggested reading and see what you can find in your local library. Get a good background of information going, then you'll be able to ask better questions and understand the answers more.

Just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by pgsmith
                            Nope. Two Heavens Style is what it translates as.
                            Doesn't the ichi make it "into one"? As in "Two heavens into one"?

Hank.

Comment

Doesn't the ichi make it "into one"? As in "Two heavens into one"?
                              Yup! You are absolutely correct.
                              Thanks Hank. That should teach me not to post in such a hurry, but it probably won't!

Comment

Working...
                              X