X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting out, tisp please

Yeah I posted in the wrong section but this topic is going to be differnt a lil.

I have looked throuhg many topics in this forums and decided that I will start learning kendo. First I need to find a close dojo(I live in Riverside, CA in US if anyone wants to help me with that) to watch some practise sessions(Read that that is a good way to get started).

I have one small problem, weight. I am overweight(I weigh about 220 and im 17) but I read that that really isn't a problem so I was wondering if it really will be or not?
    I also know that I don't have a lot of endurence, so I have been thinking about ways I can get myself more of it, I was thinking about cycling and swimming, as well as running but with ancle/waist/wrist weights, this question is... if I started running in an attempt to get more endurence, would ancle(sp)/waist/wrist weights help or no?

Thanks in advanced

Originally posted by stegalt
    Yeah I posted in the wrong section but this topic is going to be differnt a lil.

I have looked throuhg many topics in this forums and decided that I will start learning kendo. First I need to find a close dojo(I live in Riverside, CA in US if anyone wants to help me with that) to watch some practise sessions(Read that that is a good way to get started).

I have one small problem, weight. I am overweight(I weigh about 220 and im 17) but I read that that really isn't a problem so I was wondering if it really will be or not?
    I also know that I don't have a lot of endurence, so I have been thinking about ways I can get myself more of it, I was thinking about cycling and swimming, as well as running but with ancle/waist/wrist weights, this question is... if I started running in an attempt to get more endurence, would ancle(sp)/waist/wrist weights help or no?

Thanks in advanced
    If you are unfit, just do brisk walks and jog in between. Try to do a mile in under 15-20 minutes. As your stamina builds jog more and eventually try to go faster. Try to run a mile in under 7 minutes. Once you can do that increase your distance.

When you are fitter. Try running for 10 minutes, then stopping to do pushups, situps, etc then running again.

Don't attatch ankle or wrist weights yet because your body already has that 200 pounds to cope with. You also might injure yourself.

Control your diet. No soft drinks, drink water or juice.

Comment

Being overweight does not mean you can't do kendo but it doesn't do you favours competitively. You may have an edge in taiatari but then again being overweight means your fitness and movements are effected.

Comment

I am not a fan of running just a mile, trying to run a certain distance under a time limit, or whatever.

Endurance is a part of aerobic exercise. The goal is to get up into a target heart rate and maintain that for at least 20 minutes (30 minutes is better) to gain any real exercise benefit. Yes, working to get to that 7 minute mark is nice, but for many people 7 minutes is not going to have lasting health benefits. The exercise would be too short to get the aerobic, lung capacity benefits. Only a 7 minute mile is more of a strength work out.

If you are worried about your physical conditioning, focus on exercise within a particular time frame. You can worry about covering certain distances within a certain time later. Start focusing on 30 minutes. Jog at a pace that you can maintain for that whole 30 minutes. If you cannot keep going the whole time, jog, then walk to recover, then jog more, then walk to recover, etc. The important point is to keep yourself working hard enough that you feel like you are exercising, but not so hard that you feel like you are going to die. This is my scientific explanation of training in your target heartrate. A normal person, not training for time or a race and just for the sake of exercise, should be able to talk reasonably comfortably as they are jogging. If you cannot because you are too exhausted or breathing too heavily, you are working too hard. At first your jogging may feel like a glorified fast walking but you have to start somewhere and it will build from there.

You could also do some sort of cross training like the jogging combined with situps and push ups as mentioned. Overall fitness things are good.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
          I am not a fan of running just a mile, trying to run a certain distance under a time limit, or whatever.

Endurance is a part of aerobic exercise. The goal is to get up into a target heart rate and maintain that for at least 20 minutes (30 minutes is better) to gain any real exercise benefit. Yes, working to get to that 7 minute mark is nice, but for many people 7 minutes is not going to have lasting health benefits. The exercise would be too short to get the aerobic, lung capacity benefits. Only a 7 minute mile is more of a strength work out.

I'm thinking more in terms of getting his weight down.

Comment

Originally posted by stegalt
            Please visit the Southern California Kendo Federation (SCKF) website:

http://www.eanet.com/sckf

The nearest SCKF kendo dojo to Riverside are Joshua Tree, Hi-Desert and Covina.

Comment

Overweight can be a problem, i have a friend who puts too much pressure on his ankle because he's overweight. Now his ankle is infected he won't be able to fight for awhile.
              Trust me when I say it's hard to one day just decide your going to begin a daily excercise routine. I find it highly unlikely that you will continue to do this everyday by yourself (no offense to anyone but I see that as the truth)
              So for kendo, show up for practice, and if you really get into it you will discover your stamina and strength naturally increase. Kendo will not reject you because of weight and size, on the contrary they accept everyone so don't get misguided. I mean if you want to excercise daily go for it, i tried that many times but i never made it into a routine. I just go practice 4 times a week, and the other 3 days of the week i have breakdance practice *which im interested in. SO i stay fit that way,
              GOod luck on your interest in kendo! And I hope you have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                I'm thinking more in terms of getting his weight down.
                I also think that weight loss is geared towards that magical target heart rate crap we were taught in gym class. The first 10 or 15 minutes of exercise only burns calories from that day. You need to exercise longer at your target heart rate to get your body to realize that it will have to tap into its fat reserves for the extra energy it needs to keep working out. This is when you are actually burning fat and not just the basic calories you had that day.

To lose weight, less calorie intake (although not so little that you colapse from lack of energy by cutting calories too much) and more exercise so you can burn off those fat reserves.

Although I always give this advice to people who want to lose weight: focus on exercising for fun and to adapt to getting the ability to move your body around. I have seen lots of fat people (pardon the term) who are incredibly agile. Even people sumo size can be really surprising! Focus on dealing with the body you are given. Exercise for fun and you will have more motivation. The weight loss will be a nice side effect. Exercising purely for weight loss can be a self defeating motivational strategy for some people. Also, bear in mind that you may actually GAIN weight from your exercise program. Your body my slim up, but the weight will go UP... this is because muscle weighs more than fat. Yet another reason why the emphasis should be on exercising for the FUN of it. If people aim only to lose weight and it happens to go up, it can mess with their heads if they don't realize this little quirk. And remember that everyone's body is a little different so your exercise and weight issues will result in different things than other people. So keep the big picture in mind, body size, lower waist size but potential weight gain, etc. There may be some interesting quirks unique to you. Just keep it fun, eat healthy, treat yourself to a treat every now and then, but a reasonably sized one so you don't feel like you are depriving yourself and splurge if you deny yourself too much, and expect this to take a long time. Sudden weight loss is unhealthy. As long as you are gradually losing weight, even a few pounds each month, it is the overall trend that matters. Suddenly lost weight returns suddenly. Gradually lost weight stays off. Better to take years to get to the weight you want but keep it off than lose it quick and have it come back. This is another motivation killer so be patient.

And I am not trying to argue with you KML, I am just spouting the stuff that I learned in school at health/gym class, but you may be on track too. This stuff is different for all people and the information out there is different too. Just take this as a difference of strategy or opinion. I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendo ISB
                  ...Trust me when I say it's hard to one day just decide your going to begin a daily excercise routine. I find it highly unlikely that you will continue to do this everyday by yourself (no offense to anyone but I see that as the truth)... So for kendo, show up for practice... Kendo will not reject you because of weight and size, on the contrary they accept everyone so don't get misguided.... Good luck on your interest in kendo! And I hope you have a great time!
                  I agree, I think you should really decide if it is something that you will be commited to and then start working on your health.... Take it easy though, just do a lot of walking at first and maybe take a family trip to the back country to unload a few rounds into your TV and do some skeet shooting with your game discs .... Eat lots of grains and fruits, and get some good sleep (not to much though, sleeping can be bad for you). If you know you are going to have trouble laying off the sweets and getting exercise come straight out with your family or freinds and tell them you want to change your lifestyle and are going to need some help, dont just sit around wishing you could eat healthier. Instead of your family cooking a pile of bacon cheese burgers with blu cheese and fries for dinner (I dont know if this is the case at your home...) have some steak, a salad, a role, (in moderate proportions) and a huge glass of water, a huge glass of maybe apple juice or orange juice, and a huge glass of milk. Don't eat because your bored, eat only when your starving. Also, go on a few camping trips, or if your an adrenaline junky go have an intense paintball game with the family or local paintball house. Or, better yet, practise Kendo ^^! You can still get good exercise and not be bored out of your freaking mind.
                  Last edited by Rohr; 10th December 2005, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Don't get too worked up about your weight/perceived fitness level. Just show up at the dojo and train. The first few months of kendo training before getting into bogu aren't too arduous. If you like it, you'll be motivated enough to do more and that's a good thing.

Comment

Losing weight through kendo on its own could be difficult. Why? The after practice drinking

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                        Don't get too worked up about your weight/perceived fitness level. Just show up at the dojo and train. The first few months of kendo training before getting into bogu aren't too arduous. If you like it, you'll be motivated enough to do more and that's a good thing.
                        It's that first month or so after...

Comment

Wow thanks everyone for the tips. I knew about the whole muscle ways more then fat thing, that is why I got in my head "the number dosn't matter, just get the look that I want".

I did talk to my friend about the extra weights thing, they all said it won't increase endurnce(if anything it would give more muscle) so I won't be asking him for it.

Thanks for the site, I will look over it very soon. Also, I agree with whoever said that it is hard to get to a routine all of a sudden, I can't do that, that is why I want to do something that I am intrested in WITH a side-effect of weight lose

Thanks again guys, im sure kendo is going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

hey buddy. im happy you have decided to start taking kendo. i can speak first hand that your weight should not be a problem. i am 240 and 16 years old and it doesnt give me one single problem. of course i am 6 '1 so im not as round as you may imagine but it shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalCrusade
                              Losing weight through kendo on its own could be difficult. Why? The after practice drinking
                              Your from toronto...no suprise I hear they love to drink there after practice. Only a beer can get the dryness in the mouth out. Tis proven.

Comment

Working...
                              X