Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posting and skills.

Hi All,

I recently viewed a thread and hai hai pointed something about someones number of post in relation to kendo experience. Question: does the number of posts in this forum relatively commensurate to someones ability, skill and experience?

Yes. I am 22 posts from rokudan.

Hai_hai, despite his national disability, jumped from godan to hachidan, and looking forward to his hanshi exam.

Comment

If only! I'm not even in bogu yet!!! I wanted to learn as much as possible beforehand, and a lot just on starting and still do

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
        Yes. I am 22 posts from rokudan.

Hai_hai, despite his national disability, jumped from godan to hachidan, and looking forward to his hanshi exam.
        really? i want to train under hai hai!!

Comment

Hehe, everyone wants to be under Hai-hai...

Ekajati, where do you practice?

Comment

Originally posted by steelkendo
            really? i want to train under hai hai!!
            Scott will prolly let you make runs to the post office as part of your training running his books charging you for the classes too

Comment

I've had PMs for book orders from people who think it's real...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
                Ekajati, where do you practice?
                Hizen - but "practice" is the right word, I don't see myself as "real" yet Even tho I did get the pyjamas from 9 circles just this am so at least I can look the part a bit more now. God they're heavy! I can have fun tying myself up in knots now...

Comment

Hehe ok - good luck with your practice...

Comment

On a serious note (sorry to bring everyone back to the purpose of this thread) but of course not. Anyone can type a witty comment or an "i agree" but if they do that two hundred times it doesn't make them sankyu if they've never stepped inside a dojo.

It only becomes a problem (like we've seen in the past...) when you get people with little or limited experience acting like great authorities. Peronsally, I try to be careful with any 'advice' I give. I've only been in armour for two weeks - I'm not about to go telling anyone how to perform correct waza but if you need advice on how to build up strength in a weak left wrist, I'm your girl. I've had to work through that problem myself and did so successfully so that's something I can safely give someone advice on without screwing up their kendo.

I've now fallen into the habit of checking someone's profile if I don't already know them if they're giving technical advice to check their ranking and experience in the given field.

Comment

Good idea.

Check old posts of mine and you won't find kendo advice as I am relatively new to kendo, but much more involved in iai and kenjutsu.

Comment

A high post count is like a pimped out sports car... people are compensating for something...

Hey!!! Stop looking at me like that!!!

Seriously, I think post count is more a function of how bored we are at work or how much we are procrastinating from our studies...

Comment

Agreed. That's the beauty of being self-employed... AutoCAD/Dreamweaver on-screen, with KW & E-Bu in the background...

Comment

It's something to do when you're not in the dojo

Comment

not even close

Comment

Working...
                              X