X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blister Pride, just don't get it...

So I had a random thought and I am procrastinating from doing my homework, so...

Why do so many people feel special or proud when they get their first few blisters from kendo? Is it just the excitement to be doing kendo and they have a happy little reminder of the practice or what? I never understand this because besides a blister being an annoying pain that is just a nuisance, it is also often an indicator of incorrect form so it is not happy to get them in that regard. So why the pride in blisters?

It's both the things you mentioned - wow, I'm doing kendo and I have the blisters to prove it! and wow, I'm doing kendo and this blister that's irritating me reminds me of how cool it was last night!

But you're right, as time goes on (for me at least), blisters are an indication that I'm screwing up my footwork (again!). At least if I get them on the foot that I have my tabi on, cos that just shouldn't happen (I have disturbingly soft feet and nearly hobbled myself so friend got me tabi and it has saved me )

Comment

Yeah, I consider then battle wounds. Mine tend to be really deep and bleed and mostly leave a little scar, so I try to get as much sympathy as possible, which doesnt really happen...

So when i'm hobbling down the way and i see an old friend and they say to me "whats wrong with your foot?" I tend to say "Oh, it's nothing, I just got beat up in (over exagerated swish of the hair)... Kendo...." To which they normally reply "Kendo? Whats the hell's that..."

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
        So I had a random thought and I am procrastinating from doing my homework, so...

Why do so many people feel special or proud when they get their first few blisters from kendo? Is it just the excitement to be doing kendo and they have a happy little reminder of the practice or what? I never understand this because besides a blister being an annoying pain that is just a nuisance, it is also often an indicator of incorrect form so it is not happy to get them in that regard. So why the pride in blisters?

It's kinda like for men growing facial hair. You think your an adult now without knowing it's a pain in the butt to shave.

Comment

It's weird but when I get mine in my hands (more like callus) I felt like I was Hajime Saito (HAHAHAHA) it was like fine I'm doing this ok otherwise I won't have this.

Comment

Yep. Definitely a pride-in-battle-scars thing. Well described in "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk, and in the movie of the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendo-Militia
              It's kinda like for men growing facial hair. You think your an adult now without knowing it's a pain in the butt to shave.
              Nice comment!

Comment

We're supposed to shave?

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea
                  We're supposed to shave?
                  Of course but that brazilian airstrip is hard to do. HAHAHA

Comment

Of course but that brazilian airstrip is hard to do. HAHAHA

You don't have any idea...

Comment

Blisters, bruises and missed cuts all translate as battle wounds in my world

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
                        You're right, I need much more practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
                          Especially when i am holding the razor by my mouth. HAHAHA

Comment

I do not have blister pride. Blisters ruin my kendo. I may have taped up blister pride.

Comment

Especially when i am holding the razor by my mouth. HAHAHA
                              Now, there's an image I don't need in my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X