X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery's XMA...

I just watched the Discovery Channel, Xtreme Martial Arts special, and looks kind of interesting, involvin the technology to discover the changes of the human body while doing martial arts, but the demostrations there look more artistic and not martial.

They mention a tournament called us open in Florida (I think), where people make "katas" with weapons but sometimes it looks more than Olympic gymnastics than real katas.

When a man was fighting with a katana he performs movements like the kill bill movie, I assume that wasn't kenjutsu at all.

Another man made an Iaido like kata, but only wearing trousers.

That's only my opinion, what do you think?

XMA is dancing with props. It has very little to do with martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by h2o
      Can't say a lot more than h2o has already. Totally agree with him.

Comment

XMA and katana is all show. No form or resemblance to iaido or kendo. It's kind of disgusting.

Some competitors will throw the katana in the air and then catch it.
        Some competitors will wear a non-traditional katana, i.e. not indigo, natural, black or white.
        Some competitors will wear a gi with no sleeves.
        Some competitors will twirl around.
        Some competitors will add gymnastics to their kata.
        Some competitors will use one hand and wield the sword in a twirling fashion so as to look scary and get a lot of light flashing off the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by h2o

totally agree, watched part of one episode laughed so much my wife came in from another room to see what i was laughing at, she took one look at the screen an said showoff posers (shes totally non MA)

waste of time IMHO

i turned over to watch a rerun of startrek, i think far more "real"
          Last edited by ghostdancer; 26th September 2006, 03:41 AM.

Comment

He he, I agree.

Also I watched once a guy with a red/white/blue hakama of the U.S.A team something like that. What a mess

Comment

Originally posted by ghostdancer
              totally agree, watched part of one episode laughed so much my wife came in from another room to see what i was laughing at, she took one look at the screen an said showoff posers (shes totally non MA)

waste of time IMHO

i turned over to watch a rerun of startrek, i think far more "real"
              Well...you got flashy XMA or that Thrall girl in the mylar bikini. Guess which wins?

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                XMA and katana is all show. No form or resemblance to iaido or kendo. It's kind of disgusting.

Some competitors will wear a non-traditional katana, i.e. not indigo, natural, black or white.
                I thought "katana' was a sword? Did I miss somehting.....

Comment

If you just take it as people doing moves with swords and other weapons, then the stuff looks kind of cool. I really don't have a problem with it as long as they are identifying what they are doing in correct terms and not calling it kendo or iaido or something. They can say that they perform sword moves but they can't really say that they are practicing a particular sword art.

Comment

At least they're not angry baton twirlers.

Comment

I think Indiana Jones had the best answer for them sword twirling fools..............if you catch the drift..........

Comment

Originally posted by drizzt
                        I thought "katana' was a sword? Did I miss somehting.....
                        Oh, I meant hakama. This one guy had a silver hakama with black stripes. He also had a silver gi with no sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rurouni Kenshin
                          I think Indiana Jones had the best answer for them sword twirling fools..............if you catch the drift..........
                          Haha, true

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                            Oh, I meant hakama. This one guy had a silver hakama with black stripes. He also had a silver gi with no sleeves.
                            You mean the guy that dresses like a Jedi knight with hakama? Short spiky hair? Glossy black-&-sirlver clothes?

I've seen'im

What a Anakin-wanna-be!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anime12478
                              If you just take it as people doing moves with swords and other weapons, then the stuff looks kind of cool.
                              Sure as heck, it's athletic.

Comment

Working...
                              X