X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kurisu
    started a topic Kendo/Kumdo revisited

Kendo/Kumdo revisited

To continue on with a train of thought I had and not to hi-jack the other thread, I would like to clear up some things. Im not trying to be an elitist when it comes to Kendo, however I have read things that lead me to believe that Kendo and Kumdo are not the same.

1st is this statement from http://www.kendoacademy.com/usa/whatkum.htm:

Kumdo is an ancient form of martial art with its origins in Korea.

That is not the Kendo that I know.

2nd, the terminology and language. There were recent threads about Japanese language and the different terminology used. In the Kendo community, we use the Japanese terms and language, in Kumdo it is Korean. No other countries that practice Kendo change and use their own language, and those that do Kumdo are expected to use the Korean terms. This again points to Kumdo not being the same as Kendo.

I have no animosity towards Kumdo or its practitioners. I know there are many very talented people out there doing Kumdo that would kick my ass. My point is I do not believe they are the same thing. They may have the same goals, the same equipment, and have the same motivations, but the Kumdo community itself has separated Kumdo from Kendo.

Taking the side of my Sensei and many in the Kendo community, I am of the opinion that Kendo does not belong in the Olympics for many reasons, that is why I made the statement about getting Kumdo into the Olympics. Now if there are Kumdo practitioners out there who wouldnt want to see Kumdo in the Olympics for some of the same reasons (the sporting aspects takes away the budo aspect or not wanting to hand the governing body over to the Olympics), then I would also support that. But according to the Black Ship article, it seems like Korea is keen on having Kendo in the Olympics. So we could actually have a sport in the Olympics that is very close to Kendo, that Kendo practitioners who are into the sport/winning aspect, can participate in.

• tgsfg
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenshi View Post
    Thats cool... i wasnt sure. There are loads of people who read these things who dont have a clue, so I was just explaining!!!!

And you are riight... I need to calm down! (and reduce my posts as well...)
    One thing though I remembered all of a sudden. I heard that the "n" sound can also be read "m." Is that true?

Leave a comment:

• Kenshi
    replied
    Originally posted by tgsfg View Post
    It's a joke man, calm down.
    Thats cool... i wasnt sure. There are loads of people who read these things who dont have a clue, so I was just explaining!!!!

And you are riight... I need to calm down! (and reduce my posts as well...)

Leave a comment:

• tgsfg
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenshi View Post
    This is nothing to do with the kendo/kumdo thing.. you just dont know the charactaristics of Japanese.

Basically, Japanese people dont have the sound "m" ... so they substitute it for the closest thing: "mu."

3 easy examples:

kimchi - ki-MU-chi (no "m")
    english - en-GU-RI-SHU (no "gli" or "sh")
    yes - ye-SU (no "s")

etc etc

There is no other reason other than this. End of story.

If Japanese people started saying "kimchi is originally of Japanese origin" then it would be another story. They do not. In fact, Korean food is highly popular and respected here.
    It's a joke man, calm down. I took Japanese class and know everything you said. Just the way the teacher had to call me either Kimu-san or Kin-san. (She called me Kimu-san until I wrote my name in kanji).

Leave a comment:

• Kenshi
    replied
    I just thought of something funny. Sometimes, Koreans are criticized for calling kendo, kumdo. Well, I have one for you.

Why do Japanese people call kimchi (pronounced gimchi) kimuchi?
    This is nothing to do with the kendo/kumdo thing.. you just dont know the charactaristics of Japanese.

Basically, Japanese people dont have the sound "m" ... so they substitute it for the closest thing: "mu."

3 easy examples:

kimchi - ki-MU-chi (no "m")
    english - en-GU-RI-SHU (no "gli" or "sh")
    yes - ye-SU (no "s")

etc etc

There is no other reason other than this. End of story.

If Japanese people started saying "kimchi is originally of Japanese origin" then it would be another story. They do not. In fact, Korean food is highly popular and respected here.

Leave a comment:

• tgsfg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fudo-Shin View Post
    USA is only a few hundred years old....young country. And given the amount of lies and brainwashing propoganda it has already systematically pumped out for those few hundred years just imagine what a mess it will be after 2000 years. Long after the world has woken up to the US government and thier deceitfulness (and lack of morals) it will be just another Rome or Greece in Ancient history. A country that bit off more than it could chew and became too selfish.

Don't get me wrong...some, not all Americans I have known are Ok and sensitive to the bigger picture around the world. But then there is the others and in particular...thier government. And yes I have been to Hiroshima and no matter which country did it....dropping WMD's on civilians (women, children...not many military men) who were on thier way to school and work is something that should never be forgotten but learned from, as in what they are doing at the memorial museum there. They don't complain about it and there is no US anti-sentiment there....but it made me sick to the core. They are still recovering from it in some ways.

Anyway sorry to aid in the hijacking of this thread...but it is Flames and I did need to get that off my chest. Overall US is OK to me ...
    I love America. No joke, no sarcasm, I love this country (or at least CA).

Leave a comment:

• tgsfg
    replied
    I just thought of something funny. Sometimes, Koreans are criticized for calling kendo, kumdo. Well, I have one for you.

Why do Japanese people call kimchi (pronounced gimchi) kimuchi?

Leave a comment:

• Fudo-Shin
    replied
    At least most of what's been created in USA is concrete. None of this, well Korea brought them the steel, but they got it from China, who got it from the sun....
    USA is only a few hundred years old....young country. And given the amount of lies and brainwashing propoganda it has already systematically pumped out for those few hundred years just imagine what a mess it will be after 2000 years. Long after the world has woken up to the US government and thier deceitfulness (and lack of morals) it will be just another Rome or Greece in Ancient history. A country that bit off more than it could chew and became too selfish.

Don't get me wrong...some, not all Americans I have known are Ok and sensitive to the bigger picture around the world. But then there is the others and in particular...thier government. And yes I have been to Hiroshima and no matter which country did it....dropping WMD's on civilians (women, children...not many military men) who were on thier way to school and work is something that should never be forgotten but learned from, as in what they are doing at the memorial museum there. They don't complain about it and there is no US anti-sentiment there....but it made me sick to the core. They are still recovering from it in some ways.

Anyway sorry to aid in the hijacking of this thread...but it is Flames and I did need to get that off my chest. Overall US is OK to me ...

Leave a comment:

• JSchmidt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bokushingu View Post
    Since taking kendo, I have been around lots of Asians of all different ethnicity--they all seem to get along fine, but i don't spend much time with them outside of kendo(most of my close friends are non-asian Americans). My question is do they have problems when they meet in non-asian places...say like a japanese person and a korean person meeting in Europe?
    Like most people who end up living abroad, they are usually not the over-zealous nationalistic types and will be more openminded about those issues (or don't care).

Jakob

Leave a comment:

• bullet08
    replied
    Originally posted by Bokushingu View Post
    I also saw post about changing histories in various countries. Do you think it's more of a case of correcting history or revealing classified history to the public? I know in America we are constantly revealing classified history once it is declassified.
    when i went to europe for visit, there were lot of japanese and koreans. didn't see any issue. tho, one of the japanese girl was lost and came speaking to me in japanese. i couldn't help her. she didn't seem to understand english and i don't speak japanese.

the history that is being changed is not to reveal classified docs as in US or Russia. most of the change going on is mostly to meet the need of certain political groups within those country. mostly twisted nationalistic views of small groups.

pete

Leave a comment:

• Bokushingu
    replied
    I know you guys don't need my approval, but this was a very interseting thread to read; I especailly enjoyed the mature diagreements backed by facts. i learned a lot about Asia's past relationships from multiple views--thanks.

Since taking kendo, I have been around lots of Asians of all different ethnicity--they all seem to get along fine, but i don't spend much time with them outside of kendo(most of my close friends are non-asian Americans). My question is do they have problems when they meet in non-asian places...say like a japanese person and a korean person meeting in Europe?

I also saw post about changing histories in various countries. Do you think it's more of a case of correcting history or revealing classified history to the public? I know in America we are constantly revealing classified history once it is declassified.

Leave a comment:

• Batman
    replied
    Originally posted by bullet08 View Post
    there's reason why no one cries about dead germans or fire bomb in japan. both japan and german did as much to others. killing countless civilians and so on. on the other hand atomic bomb is something different.
    Its all relative. Dictator or great leader? Terrorist or freedom fighter? War criminal or hero? Todays friend is tomorrows enemy. Sorry for derailing this overdone topic please continue.

Thanks Jakob. I will check that out.

Leave a comment:

• JSchmidt
    replied
    Originally posted by Batman View Post
    Have you been to either Hiroshima or Nagasaki?

Don't be so dramatic. Bombing raids on Osaka, Kobe, Tokyo, Nagoya, name a city.... were far more devastating. The Americans fire bombed the sh*t out those cities and I never hear anyone piss and moan about that. Guess it has to be an atomic weapon to get some attention.
    Same thing happened in Europe but nobody is crying over dead Germans.
    Actually, there's a been a fair amount of criticism over Bomber Harris' 'tactics' here in the UK, and I suspect had it been the other way around, he would have been tried for war crimes.

Leave a comment:

• bullet08
    replied
    Originally posted by bobdonny View Post
    ahhhhh wasn't this about kendo/kumdo ?
    yupe.. but i thought in flame section anything goes as long as there's a chance to piss off someone

pete

Leave a comment:

• bobdonny
    replied
    ahhhhh wasn't this about kendo/kumdo ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X