X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanography

Is the worst class ever! I'm horrible at science, and I hate reading the book. Add to that the fact that he gave us two essay questions that isn't covered in the book. I also can't understand his lectures. Any kind souls willing to help out?

1. Compare and contrast the East and West coasts of the US with respect to nature of continental margin (active/passive), tectonic processes (earthquake, volcanoes) and width of the continental shelf

2. explain the differences between a submarine canyon and an ocean trench regarding the nature of the crust, how they are formed and in which part the ocean they are located.

I know, most of you don't feel like helping me out, and you'll call me lazy and stupid for doing this. But i have 6 hours till school tomorrow, and i dont care. It's also why its in the flame section.

Originally posted by tgsfg View Post
    Is the worst class ever! I'm horrible at science, and I hate reading the book. Add to that the fact that he gave us two essay questions that isn't covered in the book. I also can't understand his lectures. Any kind souls willing to help out?

1. Compare and contrast the East and West coasts of the US with respect to nature of continental margin (active/passive), tectonic processes (earthquake, volcanoes) and width of the continental shelf

2. explain the differences between a submarine canyon and an ocean trench regarding the nature of the crust, how they are formed and in which part the ocean they are located.

I know, most of you don't feel like helping me out, and you'll call me lazy and stupid for doing this. But i have 6 hours till school tomorrow, and i dont care. It's also why its in the flame section.
    Google is your friend, and can probably give you much better answers than we can. I personally dont know anything on the Subject. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed61086 View Post
      Google is your friend, and can probably give you much better answers than we can. I personally dont know anything on the Subject. Good luck!
      Going through google to find these answers would take just as long. I was looking for a shortcut, despite the obvious low probablities of getting any. I think I'll just go into to test without knowing, and hope for a C.

Comment

It's funny; I got an A in oceanography years ago, but I can't remember how to answer these questions. Stupid long term memory! Flupid floropope!

Comment

Here is your answer.

Life is full of shortcuts, all of which dead-end.

Comment

Hmmm...let's see.

Nope, not willing. Suck it up and learn something useful, like how your planet works. When you want to converse about the formation of nickel greensands in pelagic reducing environments, or why methane hydrate should scare the hell out of you - then I'm your buddy.

All hail S/T 893, R/V Coral Sea and R/V Hero! (why yes, I'm quite mad)

Comment

The ocean is wet.
              ~And full of Giant Squids which will get me if I ever go into it.
              That's all I need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea View Post
                Hmmm...let's see.

Nope, not willing. Suck it up and learn something useful, like how your planet works. When you want to converse about the formation of nickel greensands in pelagic reducing environments, or why methane hydrate should scare the hell out of you - then I'm your buddy.

All hail S/T 893, R/V Coral Sea and R/V Hero! (why yes, I'm quite mad)
                It's been over for awhile now. I mentioned I was studying up until 6 hours before I had to leave for school. I didn't trust online sites, nor did I manage to find one that answered my answers specifically. I managed to get both questions right without really knowing the answer (actually, I got partial questions). I think we learned about methane hydrate the other day. It's supposed to fsck up the enviroment and cause the greenhouse effect no? But I also heard that it's a great, potential, energy source. Did I hear it? or did I read it? Whatever.

Comment

I managed to get both questions right without really knowing the answer (actually, I got partial questions)
                  No, all you managed to do was cheat yourself.

I'm willing to bet that your library has a real book titled "Marine Geology" by Kennett on the shelf in which you find the answers to both of your questions and a good deal more. It turns out that many college professors actually expect you to visit the bookshelves and read, but they won't tell you that directly.

Comment

No, all you managed to do was cheat yourself.
                    Of what exactly?
                    On second look, I do know the answer to the first one, and recieved full credit. Just not the second one in detail (I know partially)

I'm willing to bet that your library has a real book titled "Marine Geology" by Kennett on the shelf in which you find the answers to both of your questions and a good deal more.
                    Perhaps, but I'm sure I couldn't find it in my bedroom at 2 AM. Oh, and just in case you wanted to know, the professor handed out the review questions the day before the test. I thought the answers could be found in his lecture notes/textbook, but it wasn't in there! (Well not as detailed as he wanted at least)

It turns out that many college professors actually expect you to visit the bookshelves and read, but they won't tell you that directly.
                    I suppose my professor specifically saying, "You only need to listen to my lecture and read the textbook. If any sort of 'contradictions' occur from the text any my lecture, listen to my lecture. I'm the one giving you the grade, not the books," means I should visit the library. There's a chance that I missed it in his lectures, but the teacher didn't expect anyone to visit the library to look for that book.

It's really cool that you want me to get a lot from a course I really don't care for (it's a general ed class and has nothing to do with my major). I appreciate that a lot, no sarcasm at all. However, I would also appreciate it if you weren't condescending in your tone , and saying things without considering the circumstances I was in. I never really expected anyone to give me the answers, nor was I being idle when I posted that. So I would really sincerely appreciate it if you wouldn't think of me as a lazy, stupid college student.

Comment

Of what exactly?
                      On second look, I do know the answer to the first one, and recieved full credit. Just not the second one in detail (I know partially)

Perhaps, but I'm sure I couldn't find it in my bedroom at 2 AM. Oh, and just in case you wanted to know, the professor handed out the review questions the day before the test. I thought the answers could be found in his lecture notes/textbook, but it wasn't in there! (Well not as detailed as he wanted at least)

I suppose my professor specifically saying, "You only need to listen to my lecture and read the textbook. If any sort of 'contradictions' occur from the text any my lecture, listen to my lecture. I'm the one giving you the grade, not the books," means I should visit the library. There's a chance that I missed it in his lectures, but the teacher didn't expect anyone to visit the library to look for that book.

It's really cool that you want me to get a lot from a course I really don't care for (it's a general ed class and has nothing to do with my major). I appreciate that a lot, no sarcasm at all. However, I would also appreciate it if you weren't condescending in your tone , and saying things without considering the circumstances I was in. I never really expected anyone to give me the answers, nor was I being idle when I posted that. So I would really sincerely appreciate it if you wouldn't think of me as a lazy, stupid college student.
                      You're right, it's all about the points on the quiz and not understanding the material. Silly me. As we old bastards say in the real world at the end of most employment interviews: "next, please".

Comment

You're right, it's all about the points on the quiz and not understanding the material. Silly me. As we old bastards say in the real world at the end of most employment interviews: "next, please".
                        Apparently, I've never heard that from any old bastards in the real world as of date. I have a teaching job even, not a fast food gig.

When I decide to go in the field of ocean geology, I'll consider, even more, your words of wisdom. I understand what you're saying, but I believe that general education is usually useless for most college students. I can understand why English, math, and history (and government) would be important to learn for everyone. I don't understand why we're also required to take fine arts and sciences. You can educate me on the importance of taking such courses for everyone, however, I'd appreciate it if you would be less condescending. What is it with people that likes to be so big headed on this forum? I respect your experiences, knowledge, and advise, but it's really hard to take that to heart when you're being overly condescending. If you want to get your message across, it's easier to listen when you evoke positive emotions. You know? The art of rhetoric includes pathos, and making people feel bad/mad isn't going to make you sound great (unless you're trying to make me hate something). Like I said before, I do respect your words very much, so if you have something to say, say it nicely. I really will listen.

Comment

The art of rhetoric includes pathos, and making people feel bad/mad isn't going to make you sound great (unless you're trying to make me hate something).
                          Do you remember when you first started posting here I made a comment that you act like a bull in a China shop? You did a lot of bitching about who treated who like what before you studied who those people were and why they were that way. Had you not acted like an asshat (thank you, Canada!) from day one, I might have helped you out (provided your question was closer to "hey, I just don't get this" rather than "hey, my teacher's a moron, I just don't give a crap and need to pass this quiz"). With certainty, I could have helped you ace those two questions, and even understand something beyond what you were supposed to learn, but (and here's the lesson) you crapped in that well long before you got thirsty.

The art of living, is in cultivating relationships of mutual benefit - not in just getting by.

Comment

Do you remember when you first started posting here I made a comment that you act like a bull in a China shop? You did a lot of bitching about who treated who like what before you studied who those people were and why they were that way.
                            I read that comment again. Apparently, you said that because I told T. Lee to let people talk about the thread in anyway they want to (he called people idiots for "taking the thread seriously"). Which he responded, in kinder words, "you're an idiot." I responded by saying that that was an immature comment. Then you decided to call me a "bull in a China shop." As for that thread, I even said this to you:

I'm sorry, was there any excuse to call others idiots for debating or taking a thread seriously? If there is one, I will apologize, seriously, no sarcasm.
                            In fact, as far as I can see, I did take your advice and decided to be more "humble." As far as I can remember, I haven't made any trouble with anyone since, including the trolls you all hate so much. I have noticed, though, that you get into a nice chunk of the arguments on KW, even if most of them are with the trolls.

Had you not acted like an asshat (thank you, Canada!) from day one, I might have helped you out (provided your question was closer to "hey, I just don't get this" rather than "hey, my teacher's a moron, I just don't give a crap and need to pass this quiz").
                            I don't remember calling him a moron, just that I hate the class and that I can't understand the teacher. I can't understand him cause of his thick accent and incredibly soft voice. Have you heard of ratemyprofessor.com? Everyone says the samething about him. As for not caring about the class except to pass it, you're right about that. As I have mentioned, I don't understand why I must take a science course yet another time in college. I think I did my share of science studies in high school.

With certainty, I could have helped you ace those two questions, and even understand something beyond what you were supposed to learn, but (and here's the lesson) you crapped in that well long before you got thirsty.
                            Do you work in this field? I'm just curious. As I have said before, I'll listen to anything you've got to say, I'm not going to do everything, but I'll listen.
                            I'm not going to think "you're just an old grumpy man." Have I offended you at all in this thread? Have I insulted or completely disregarded your comments? All I did was ask for a bit of respect as well.

The art of living, is in cultivating relationships of mutual benefit - not in just getting by.
                            Of course. As I have said, if I offend you, just tell me. If you think I did something that's stupid or "assholey," just tell me. I understand that if someone is offended by what I'm saying, it's more my fault than it is theirs, even if they're the one that's misunderstanding. I'm being amiable, so I just want you to be also.

So you thought I was being stupid about the whole thing in this thread? I apologize, I'll try to work harder in class. You thought I was being an asshole when I first joined? I apologize for that as well. Is that good? Are we cool? Or are there more things that you hold against me? If so, tell me, cause it would be better to walk forward from here instead of getting into stupid arguments.
                            Last edited by tgsfg; 18th March 2007, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Dude...chill...

Comment

Working...
                              X