Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th generation soke-Kenshi-WTF! What is Mukushin Ryu?

Ahoy there, no idea what this is, but it popped up in one of our local universities' kendo club feeds on Facebook. Looks fake, but I'll leave that decision up to you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3G5-kWzas

http://www.rising-sun-dojo.com/Mukushin.aspx

Smells like a mcdojo, don't want to make any assumptions though...

EDIT: nvm, looks like mukushin.com might be somewhat legit? Don't know anything regarding koryu at all, so I'll leave it up to you guys!
    Last edited by nsylver; 12th November 2011, 12:47 AM.

Sorry for double post: after reading their website, the video actually appears to be mislabeled. According to the site, that is not the soke, but rather a branch head based in the Orlando area.

Comment

What can I say... Having seen (say) "Nihontodo" before, this looks pretty legitimate in comparison. The head dude's claims to various black belts seem realistic enough to be true, references existing and common martial arts, and does not seem fabricated to impress. Curiously, the mukushin.com website does not have anything written in kanji, so I couldn't search for anything Japanese. As for the videos, while they don't seem too awesome, they hint more towards "inexperienced demonstrators" and less towards "utter bullshit". Lastly, the head dude is not posing as a "founder" with "revolutionary ideas", so their self-advertisement isn't at all aggressive.

I'd be ready to judge in favour of "legit koryuu", but neither Wikipedia nor Google does not have any independent information of them. For all we know, they could have just fabricated the history they mention.

I think I'll refrain from judging. If they're honest about their history, then they're suspiciously obscure for such an ancient ryuuha. If they're not honest about their history, then they're impressively competent for a BS martial art (which doesn't say a lot, but still.)

Maybe you could ask bullshido.net.

Comment

There is an entry for Chj-ry (of course) in the Bugei ryuha daijiten at pp. 574-575 (BRD 1978 [2003]) with a man called hashi Kageyuzaemon, said to be the 3rd master in title of this style and also said to have created a ry in sendai domain called Isshin mut-ry (ken and yari) (idem, p.65), but the last man of this lineage is called Watanabe Zen'emon.

In my opinion, 90% chance that Mukushin-ry is pure invention, 4.5% chance it's a recreation based of a few documents, 0.5% chance it has been transmitted to this man.

Comment

Originally posted by Durandal View Post
          There is an entry for Chj-ry (of course) in the Bugei ryuha daijiten at pp. 574-575 (BRD 1978 [2003]) with a man called hashi Kageyuzaemon, said to be the 3rd master in title of this style and also said to have created a ry in sendai domain called Isshin mut-ry (ken and yari) (idem, p.65), but the last man of this lineage is called Watanabe Zen'emon.

In my opinion, 90% chance that Mukushin-ry is pure invention, 4.5% chance it's a recreation based of a few documents, 0.5% chance it has been transmitted to this man.
          Hmmm... I hadn't thought of the "re-creation" possibility, but it could explain everything. To wit:
          • The practitioners don't seem very capable, but they don't seem like bullshidoka either.
          • The head dude doesn't seem to have any official credentials, but he isn't posing as a "founder" of anything either.
          • There's just no way a lineage so ancient could only have had fifteen souke, when younger ones have double as many... that is, unless there haven't been any souke for the last few centuries.
          • The history they mention is too tame to have been fabricated, and contains many slivers of truth; yet, there seem to be no Japanese sources on the Internet that make mention of this ryuuha.
          Not to mention, the history they mention seems to hint at that, what with "this ryuuha was passed down orally" (?!) and "the names of many souke are still unknown".

If it turns out that this "Watanabe Zen'emon" that you mentioned was the 14th souke of this ryuu, I'll be 100% convinced that Mukushin is a rather decent re-creation of some ancient but forgotten lineage.

Comment

well the only Watanabe Zen'emon I managed to find died in mid 18th century (but maybe it's an homonymous)

Well, a recreation out of nothing with what seems to be a very few documentation about the system, even if it doesn't look like bullshido, barely convince me as an actual decent budo. Not to mention that Chj-ry and Isshin Mut-ry are only said to practice ken and yari... Where all the other weapons come from?
            Last edited by Durandal; 29th November 2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X