Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people hate Americans???

Why do people hate Americans?
    Sure, there are a hell of alot of people who are against the whole Iraq war and President Bush, butwhat that does that have to do with the American people?
    I'm not even American, but when one of my friends started saying stuff like:
    "Americans are such faggots!! They think theyre so big and tough!!"
    And just started talking all this $hit, I got really pissed off!!
    Alot of people don't know this, but thats racism
    Alot of people think racism is just between different cloured skin, but it's not.
    Man, it just really pisses me off when people bag out Americans, when half the time they have never even met an American person!!

But everybody loves us Australians

Actually, racism is believing that your particular race is superior to other races, so I don't think it's racism to hate Americans. Those who hate Americans do so mostly because of what the American government is doing, and since the government is elected by the Americans, or so they say, the American public will get the blame. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just explaining how many people perhaps think.

Comment

I believe it stems from some peoples inability to seperate the Government of the time from the people in that country.I cannot believe the idiocy of Bush and the people that work with him. Yet I have a great admiration for the American people that I have met. I also believe the current Government in Australia is full of idiots and "yes men" for Bush . I still love my country though.

It's simple to me how can a person hate a people when they haven't met everyone of them?????

cheers Michael

Comment

Good quote I once read on someone's wall, "I love my country, but I fear my government."

The ideals that are supposed to be the pillars of our government are nice, but how politicians apply and often bend laws for whatever purpose tend to not go along with those ideals sometimes.

We also have a habit of sticking our noses in other people's business a bit too much. Yes, it is good and necessary in some cases (and sometimes the rest of the world agrees), but not in all cases (and at those times the rest of you let us know quite clearly). Hopefully things will change in the near future.

That is all I'll say. These discussions often get heated so I'm fleeing the kitchen!!!
        Last edited by nodachi; 29th June 2004, 11:38 AM.

Comment

well i dont know really, but ive heard a lot of people being resented about how many americans think for example that all the world should speak english, and that all the world should use dollars, that kind of stuff.

i personally hold no grudge, in fact most of my friends are americans

Comment

Originally posted by Phil-co
            Actually, racism is believing that your particular race is superior to other races, so I don't think it's racism to hate Americans..
            Well, it's like racism.
            Infact, what you said is pretty much saying it's racism, if they hate Americans, and are always complaining about them, you'd think that they think theyre race is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshin Axel
              Well, it's like racism.
              Infact, what you said is pretty much saying it's racism, if they hate Americans, and are always complaining about them, you'd think that they think theyre race is better.
              Well, you can hate someone without it being a racial matter, can't you? But it doesn't really matter, I think we all agree that it's stupid to judge people you haven't met. Actually it's stupid to judge people. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil-co
                Well, you can hate someone without it being a racial matter, can't you? But it doesn't really matter, I think we all agree that it's stupid to judge people you haven't met. Actually it's stupid to judge people. Period.
                True, unfortunately it is the easy way to judge a group by the actions of a few. Even more so when the few are their leaders.

I always liked the line from Gettysburg, "Any man who judges people by the group is a halfwit."

BUT...On the Other Hand, I would not call it hate. More dislike and disdain. HATE is something different. HATE is what the victims of coalition brutality, torture, collateral damage and humiliation feel. But that is a whole other issue...we on the other hand, just think Bush is an evil man who puts lining his pockets before the lives of his own people, let alone the ones he sends his people to kill.

I really find it funny how none of the members of his cabinet, save Powell(Yay!), have ever been in Combat, yet, advocate the use of war. It is ironic then, how Powell was also the only voice against it.

VOTE COLIN POWELL FOR PRESIDENT!

Comment

QUOTE*
                  BUT...On the Other Hand, I would not call it hate. More dislike and disdain. HATE is something different. HATE is what the victims of coalition brutality, torture, collateral damage and humiliation feel. But that is a whole other issue...we on the other hand, just think Bush is an evil man who puts lining his pockets before the lives of his own people, let alone the ones he sends his people to kill.

I really find it funny how none of the members of his cabinet, save Powell(Yay!), have ever been in Combat, yet, advocate the use of war. It is ironic then, how Powell was also the only voice against it.

totally agree!

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                    I have to agree with you there!

Comment

you can't rationalize hate. Whatever excuse is not a good reason. Or they are just a bunch of buggers.

Comment

Just like austrailia everybody loves canada too!

I'm not anti-american or anything but living next door to the yanks, i've seen my share of dumb behavior....

A large number of americans (and canadians i'll concede) being the big boy of the world's nations, seem to have trouble stepping outside the nationalistic thinking that is just stewing down there.

i dont like to generalize but As a result it may make them look ignorant, or arrogant. I think that's why so many people hate them, although i personally know MANY exceptions of this stereotype.

It's a common problem with people outside of their home country for the first time (or who leave rarely) where they are unable to behave properly, or according to subtle social conduct laid down by that country, because they just dont know they're doing anything wrong.

(fortunately Canadian social conduct is a throwback from the brittish commonwealth: extreme politeness in the face of uncertainty)

HOWEVER does the problem lie in the offender, or the offended?
                        is it not our own fault for not empathizing with these outsiders, and forgiving their social transgressions?

maybe it's everybody's fault

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                          True, unfortunately it is the easy way to judge a group by the actions of a few. Even more so when the few are their leaders.

I always liked the line from Gettysburg, "Any man who judges people by the group is a halfwit."

If I may disagree...

No, what is EVIL, is LETTING the insurgents have their way, and not get rid of them. If we do not fight this war, then they win. Understand?

The war has COST money, NOT EARNED money for Bush. Wars don't earn money. He doesn't pocket money. He gets a FIXED salary. Did you know that? And, it is NOT an insane high amount like what a monarchy gets a year. I believe it is $400,000 per year that he earns. Yes, that seems like a lot but it is not, considering the President is the head of state in charge of running a country, which is VERY DIFFICULT. And, there are plenty more who earn twice to three times and much more even that amount here, and they don't even have to deal with stuff like this. I say this, because you make it sound like he is actually earning money off the war, which is impossible. We have laws that prevent it. Our government loses money, not earns it, in a war just like yours does when it goes to war. We haven't taken anything from the country of Iraq, and that is why. When you plunder a country, then yes, you take and line your pockets, so to speak, and get richer because you did. We did not plunder Iraq. Why do you think we handed over the country to an Interim government? We did not want to take over Iraq, that's why. We don't want to take things and money from them.

If you people think it is only about oil, then that is pretty stupid. ALL COUNTRIES have political agenda in ANY war, whether or not you want to realise it. And, it is unfair to call Bush evil, when the ones who ARE evil, are the ones behaving like spoiled brats because they can't have their way, so they cut people's heads off or blow people up, because they are too stupid to see that doing that won't give them their own way. They have been brainwashed since little kids to believe they MUST kill others to get their way. There is a major difference between killing on purpose to make a point and people just getting killed in action because they are fighting against each other. Mind you, getting killed in action isn't nice either, and no matter what country it is who is fighting, people will die in fights, even if it isn't the US involved.

So, what is evil, is the deliberate killings the insurgents and terrorists have been doing.

Being in combat or not being in combat has nothing to do with knowing whether or not to go to war. Just because you were in a war, doesn't make a person smarter about war necessarily. Sure, they know what it is LIKE, but that does not mean they will make a better decision. That is just grasping at straws and looking for someone to blame.

let alone the ones he sends his people to kill.
                          Excuse me, but our troops are not killing Iraqis on purpose, who are decent people. They are NOT aiming at innocent people. Haven't you worked that out by now? They are after the insurgents and terrorists, If I must spell it out for you. You know, the ones who kill because they want to get their way, and steal from their own people? Oh, and beat their ladies, and kill whatever they see that is in their way, and censor the poor people to death and oh, a ton of things. With them in charge, these people will alway have nothing and are at the mercy of these mean people. The words "kind to others" is not in these bad people's vocabulary. They actually think it is ok to go around killing those who aren't Muslim or who make them angry.(The insurgents, radicals and terrorists, I mean) It is NOT ok. I don't mind if a person is Muslim. Why should people kill someone just because the religion is different then theirs? Geez, it is so arrogant to think one religion is better than another.

So.. If I am to believe what you wrote and to me, implied, you would rather have bad people like the insurgents and terroirists in charge of Irag than fight to get rid of them for the Iragi people who can't do it alone? These bad people are attacking eerybody out of misguided hatred for something they grew up believing, because they knew no other thing to believe, due to brainwashing, and the is NO way to reverse this. You just have to get rid of them. Sad, but true. You can't reason with a crazy person or crazy bunch of people. They will kill everyone if they are not dealt with. If we don't try to do it, what country will? Nobody. Why? They are too chicken and only care about themselves. And, I am talking about the government, NOT the citizens. Citizens of any country will always be divided on issues. My question: If we did not put our foot into this, and left Saddam there, who would have tried to stop him from killing his own people? I doubt anyone would have. No, he'd just still be killing off many more civilians for no good reason while the rest of the world let him. The same goes for Bin Laden, and etc. People by nature, do not like helping others and only help if they are obligated to a lot of the time. This is very unfortunate. Sad, too.

So, before you go call a person evil, consider what is the meaning of evil. Bush is not perfect, but he does not advocate all the bad things these bad people do, and did not advocate the prison abuse.(Which by the way, is not the same as what the bad people are doing.) And, sending off soldiers to war is not evil either. What is evil would be to allow this spoiled brat behavior to continue. If nobody fights, then who wins? These people who love to kill and hold innocent people in terror every day.

Just my humble opinion...

Oh, and so you all know, I hate this war too, because I can't stand fighting. But, talking and negotiating isn't going to work this time, There IS no other choice. It is only wishful dreaming to think we can solve this without a fight.

Kaoru

Comment

Hmm, looks like i'm only the second yankee doodle dandy to respond to this (after Nodachi). Why do people hate us? Becasue we're arrogant, loud-mouthed bumpkins with a huge military machine and a crazy government and we're coming to kick your ass!

Seriously though, i agree with KhawMeng's distinction and Nalogg's comments. Big countries tend to be rather self-centered and ethnocentric. Some people dislike the French, Germans, or Chinese for similar reasons. There is, however, another explanation for real hatred, rather than just a dislike of certain nationals behavior abroad. It is simple envy, especially of those who feel their countries should have a bigger say in the world.

People are often suprised to find out i'm American because i don't fit the white anglo-saxon protestant, baseball-cap donning, gum-chewing, kiss-my-ass clichee that many seem to have of us, although i guess there's at least some of that in me. The image of the "ugly American" gains more currency as our government continues to piss off the rest of the world, but take some time to get to know some of us, and you'll find that we can be friendly, honest and open-minded.

Ok, enough of this. I'm missing the European Cup! Go Portugal! (although i'm for the Czechs in the final!)

Comment

Kaoru, (and everyone else)
                              I think you're on a dangerous path here. You yourself are talking about who's good and who's bad (as if it's a fact), and then you talk about brainwashed people. To some, the description above fits the USA like a glove; "Bad people attacking everybody out of misguided hatred for something they grew up believing, because they knew no other thing to believe". It all depends on your point of view, doesn't it? Terrorists beheading people and American soldiers bombing weddings, can be the same thing. It's not that the the US troops just made some mistakes, and really were going after the terrorists, they knew damn well what they were doing. Maybe the terrorists thought that their prisoners actually were American terrorists? Maybe what I said is stupid, but I'm just making a point here. The point is, don't be so sure that what the US (or any other country for that matter) is doing is the right, or 'good' thing, and that the enemies are the 'evil' ones. Don't assume that the reason why some other countries don't go to war is that they are cowards. Maybe, just maybe, it is because these countries know that the war is unjust, and that it is not a matter of good vs. bad. If you (Kaoru and everyone else) think that it is a sort of biblical good vs. bad, I think you're sadly mistaken. But what do I know? Maybe I'm wrong and you're right? Now off to the footie I go...

Comment

Working...
                              X