• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Americans hate the French?

Why do americans hate the french?

Originally posted by Utotin
    http://www.rotten.com/library/cultur...-francophobia/

big nations tend to draw fire, especially from other big nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Utotin
      Didn't you get the memo? This week, we're hating the Syrians. Next week we'll be on the DPRK again (sorry, Will) and then on to Iran for the rest of the month.

Comment

who cares?

Comment

Dunno why americans hate the french but I hate the french cuz we have to study their friggin language in school for some reason........... the refuse to speak any other language (exceptions made) when you visit france, and hate you if you try to speak theirs and screw up..............

Also they have the same cockyness/arrogance as the americans so thats another reason to hate them and they claimed the name FRENCH fries.........

Americans might hate french cuz they made the canadians speak french and they live next door, and they gave the USA the statue of liberty but americans claim they gave it to the french cocky as they both are.............

Comment

Hehe,

I want this one.

I have found that individual French are wonderful people. Alas and alack, as a whole, a bunch of wankers.

Mind you, anyone here probably does kendo, so in my book, you're probably okay - so don't take it too personally.

The reasons are as follows:

1. French nuclear testing in the South Pacific is quite annoying. It's not needed, wasn't wanted by the local populations and was a generally unneeded flexing of irrevelant military might.
            2. Despite centuries of French bellicosity (see point #1 + 100 Years War + Italian Wars + Napoleon + Franco Prussian War + First Indochina War, etc.), the French a quick to scold any other nations for any aggressive actions. This can be readily seen in:
            3. The French disdain for the Germans. Of course, with the Second World War, one would think that the French would be weary of the Germans, but the French nazi sympatherizers far outnumbered the resistance movement, and despite being conquered by Germany, the French managed to squirm their way onto the U.N. Security Council and even occupy a piece of Germany after Potsdam! How a country can loose a war and manage to gain so much political might is incredible.
            4. The French reaction to the U.S. invasion of Iraq. As French companies assisted the Iraqi regime in building nuclear reactors, and exploit Iraqi oil, the French Foreign Ministry spoke out against U.S. intervention...
            5. The French come off as ungrateful turds. While the older generation of French can remember young Americans dying on the beaches in France and giving their lives to liberate French hamlets, towns and cities from fascism, the younger generation doesn't give a flying s**t. And thus the government
            6. passes laws like those which forbid the use of foreign words on the air waves in France or forbid the use of religious headwear by Islamic women.
            7. The French are snooty. This I have experienced myself. Actually, the French in Paris were very nice for a few minutes around sunrise, and then slinked back into a state of jaded snootyness. As the tourist cliches would have it, the French can be rude...
            8. They are responsible for the beret.

As Mark Twain once wrote: "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France."

well, reading over this, I do, in the interests of fairness, want to say something nice about France...

Comment

sorry, can't come up with anything...

Comment

And yet when you visit Paris in springtime, it's full of Americans!

Comment

It's not just the Americans. Everyone hates the French.

Comment

Disliking the French is a global pastime, closely followed by American bating...

Comment

La Douce France

As someone who regularly visits France I feel compelled to shed some light in this matter and tell some tales for the other side.

-When you zoom around on your Motorbike in France cars make room for you on the road. (They also do this in Italy.) Since I ride a bike the French are ok people by me. Some Gendarmerie (Military Police) guys even raced with me on the Peage (toll road) they wanted to see how fast my bike could go.

-Every morning even on Sunday you can get fresh baked real bread, this is not the case in other countries.

-When pulled over for an alcohol test, you have to blow in a plastic bag. The air is dispensed through a "filter?" and in the light of your headlights is checked for discoloring. I'm no expert but this doesn't sound very accurate to me.

-The moment you try to speak your High School French and you stick to it you are ok. They even correct you when you're wrong. I'm not sure how many languages UK and or US people talk but it's generally English only.

-There is a saying in Dutch that when you do something halfhearted or sloppy it's called "Met de Franse slag" which roughly translates to do something like the French. French people are very loose and not very rigid in their daily life. Just watch the traffic in France and you will know what I mean. But the moment someone tries to abide all the traffic rules and claims his right of way it's then that things do go wrong. So give a little take a little, go with the flow.

-Live and let live is something the French have elevated to an art form.

These are but few things that I like about France from the top of my head. If I start thinking very hard I think that I want to move to France, but I'm afraid that I can't afford it.
                      And there are always Americans in Paris and you can tell them from miles apart. The only coffee they drink is at Mc Donalds and even then it has to be dilluted with hot water because it's too strong!
                      I rest my case.
                      Flame on.............

Comment

I'm not sure how inaccurate roadside alcohol testing is a reason to actually like the French....

It is true that Americans in other countries are often embarassing. I understand why some sew Canadian flags to their bags. And yes, they can be spotted from miles away - but I can say the same of the tourists from almost any major country in any major tourist destination. It's easy to spot the mainland Chinese from their noname brand tennis shoes, the Japanese from their gadgets and brand name anythings, the Germans with their red hair (if a middle-aged women, it seems mandatory) red jeans or sandals with socks, etc.

French bread is good, and when I mentioned that Parisians were nice in the early morning hours, I was actually thinking about the friendly bakeries. The sudden transformation that occurs after the French actually eat the early morning bread and coffee is inexplicable.

Still, despite the good bread and wine, I still find the nation of France, on the whole, largely unecessary.

Comment

Hypocrites, the French! They are so pissed and outraged about the "war on terror" but their counterterrorist activities in Algeria were probably worse. They bitch about guantanamo detainies, but look at how the Foriegn Legion tortured prisioners in Algeria durring the French war on terror. A war that they were fighting to KEEP a people oppressed.

Comment

Fonsz

You are correct in how loose their llife style is. I swear I almost crapped in my pants driving around the Arc de Triumph during rush hour. I not going to say ALL Parisians are rude but the ones I came across were. The sad thing is I got better service pretending to be a Japanese Tourist.

But outside of Paris in small towns, I felt the older people (60 + ) were very happy to see me as an American.

I have 1 question. If so many colones and Perfumes are made in Paris, why do so many people in Paris have B.O.. Some were so bad I had to gag.

Comment

Yeah, yeah.

[QUOTE=KevinF]I'm not sure how inaccurate roadside alcohol testing is a reason to actually like the French....[QUOTE]
                              That is because you are an American and used to strict law enforcement(sp?) All the cops in the US seem paranoid to me but then again they should have their reasons for it.

It is true that Americans in other countries are often embarassing. I understand why some sew Canadian flags to their bags. And yes, they can be spotted from miles away - but I can say the same of the tourists from almost any major country in any major tourist destination. It's easy to spot the mainland Chinese from their noname brand tennis shoes, the Japanese from their gadgets and brand name anythings, the Germans with their red hair (if a middle-aged women, it seems mandatory) red jeans or sandals with socks, etc.
                              I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. Some times middle-aged German men are guilty of above mentioned crime.
                              French bread is good, and when I mentioned that Parisians were nice in the early morning hours, I was actually thinking about the friendly bakeries. The sudden transformation that occurs after the French actually eat the early morning bread and coffee is inexplicable.
                              When you speak a bit French they will stay friendly.
                              Still, despite the good bread and wine, I still find the nation of France, on the whole, largely unecessary.
                              If you start liking the bread and the wine the rest will follow but give it some time.
                              PS
                              You were also right about the beret but if memory serves it was the Basques who invented them.
                              I think that it is now the turn of the French Forumites to let themselves be heard.
                              Allez les Blues!

Comment

Working...
                              X