Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk about the minuteman project in arizona. Now thats some good patriotic americans!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Neighbour
      if gas prices were the same in us as in germany, then and only then you could talk about "high" prices.
      but as long as your selfelected mother****ing texas-wanker wont give a shit about kyoto-treaty and keeps invading oil countries, you can puff our fossile ressources into the air for a penny.
      if you had to pay all those taxes for environmental reasons and other foul excuses by the gas-companies, the us would have more bicycles than china.
      Hey, no name-calling, remember? Read the first post.

He wasn't self-elected either. Trust me, we'd know about it if someone elected themselves. It's impossible for that to happen, since we all vote for our leaders here. We voted for him, so he is the President. People have to learn to deal with whom they voted for or did not vote for. No US president is going to be perfect and just what everyone wants.

Anyway, let's not start a fight over that.

If you wish to discuss gas prices, etc, please do so without insulting anyone-and I mean literally anyone, including leaders of countries. Drizzt-san wants this thread to remain civil. Please respect him. Thanks.

Now, back to the topic.

High gas prices are considered high or low to the individual living in that country. Each country's cost of living is different and can't really be compared. But, if you use the rate of exchange for your own country's currency and convert, then it will seem that some countries have higher or lower gas prices than others.

Well, that's how I see it. Whether I am correct or not? I dunno. It was a thought I just had, and seems to make sense when you think about it.

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Utotin
        Lets talk about the minuteman project in arizona. Now thats some good patriotic americans!
        The what? Any links to see more about that? I never knew about that until just now. Is is a re-enactement group?

Kaoru

Comment

Fuel prices

High gas prices are considered high or low to the individual living in that country. Each country's cost of living is different and can't really be compared. But, if you use the rate of exchange for your own country's currency and convert, then it will seem that some countries have higher or lower gas prices than others.

Kaoru
          The price of gasoline is dirt cheap in the US compared to the prices here in Europe. Also cars are more expensive than in the US. Owning a car is also cheaper compared to Europe. Thus you get big gas guzzling cars for everybody. The recent boom of SUV's is proof of this. And why oh why would anyone like to own a Hummer. The thing is as big as a truck and consumes fuel like a battle tank. I suppose that when prices in the US are the same as in Europe the traffic in the US would not be dominated by these mastodonts on wheels. (With or without gun racks)
          I also agree with Mr. Molloy we should all be able to wear short sleeves even in the coldest winter which some British with alcohol in their veins alsways seem to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru
            The what? Any links to see more about that? I never knew about that until just now. Is is a re-enactement group?

Kaoru
            http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/se...r=FP-tab-web-t

Here is a link. It is a citizen group which is spending a month patroling a section of the Mexico/Arizona border & reporting illegal immigrants to US Border Patrol.

This particicular section of the border is basically a revolving door for illegal immigrants & drug trafficking (sp?) that the US government has essentially given up on.

The minuteman project is trying to bring attention to this problem and the government has already promised to send 500 agents to the Arizona/Mexico border in the coming months.

Comment

at the same time europeans have smaller cars than the tanks you can find in america. Every year automobile companies push larger and larger cars on us. Toyota for example doesn't sell the same kind of cars here as they do in japan.

I have been to Paris, those cars are small. You dont find them in USA.

by darth neighbor :
              if you had to pay all those taxes for environmental reasons and other foul excuses by the gas-companies, the us would have more bicycles than china.
              I can bike several hundred miles home from college. But if we did end up using bikes how much you want to bet those to would be decked out and rediculously furnished.

Comment

@ koaru
                youre absolutely right, bush wont change his politics by insulting him
                you gotta know, im politically pretty active and i see him every day in the news! just cant stand him.

@utotin
                i sometimes lack the right vocabulary, since my last english lesson over a decade ago.
                i meant those countries around the persian gulf with rich oilressources, such as saudi arabia, kuwait, irak, etc
                from my point of view the war in afghanistan and the present gulf war were invasions. "rescuing kuwait from saddam" was ok in the first place, but turned out to be just a "oil and contracts for uncle sam", hooray.
                in the 1st gulf-war us military has already had the chance to take out saddam, but no, he was allowed to keep power.
                what will happen next, if iran will continue their nuclear programm, will uncle sam come and help again? or pakistan?
                troops will not always bring democracy.

so what i wanted to say was, that it seems to me, bush just wants to secure us-influence in the gulf region and also oil-ressources, rather than having a plan to bring real democracy to these states as he said.
                why the gasprice is still going up, is a matter of the companies. maximize profits and downsize everything else. i too see the price per barrel fall every day but not with gas and i also wonder.
                a good start would be a thinkover in the us automobile industries to dramatically increase the gasmileage (is that the right word?)
                in europe noone with an average income would buy a car wich needs more than 6 to 8 liters per 100 kilometers (no idea how many gallons that would be)

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Neighbour
                  @ koaru
                  why the gasprice is still going up, is a matter of the companies. maximize profits and downsize everything else. i too see the price per barrel fall every day but not with gas and i also wonder.
                  What? The price of oil per barrell is going UP UP UP!!!!!

From the April 4 2005 Financial Times:
                  Crude oil prices surge past $58
                  By Peter Garnham
                  Published: April 4 2005 08:16 | Last updated: April 4 2005 20:30

Oil prices hit all-time nominal highs on Monday, despite attempts by the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries to stem the rally.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0648ff3a-a4...00e2511c8.html

Comment

Hmm.. as for why Bush Sr. didn't want to take out Saddam is that they were predicting that there would be more casualties. In addition, I thought that the US (at the time) didn't have a solid plan as to what to do after that went down. So Bush Sr. avoided invading baghdad.

As for resources, France needs them, Japan needs them, Germany needs them, Britian needs then, Europe needs them and so do the US. In addition, everybody thinks cars when they say oil. Its not just cars. Its heating oil, lubricants (not just for cars) machine oil (gas generators, machine tools, etc) and other things that we don't really think about on the top of our heads (rubber?). I'm not saying anybody is wrong or right, its just that I think no country is above the other.

Well if it is not the US or the other countries listed, what about "developing countries"? 2nd world countries are the worst in terms of oil consumtion traditionally. They usually don't have strict regulations, and they have growing populations. This is a double negative in terms of environmental impact.

I think one example is China. They have the worlds largest population with questionable environmental controls and they are getting cars!?? They are predicted to be the next big (biggest) market for car companies. I saw satellite images of the pollution coming out of China a couple of years back and it was unbelieveable.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist
                      at the same time europeans have smaller cars than the tanks you can find in america. Every year automobile companies push larger and larger cars on us. Toyota for example doesn't sell the same kind of cars here as they do in japan.

I have been to Paris, those cars are small. You dont find them in USA.

I can bike several hundred miles home from college. But if we did end up using bikes how much you want to bet those to would be decked out and rediculously furnished.
                      Well in this respect, i am NOT an SUV fan. They took out all of my favorite sports cars (300ZX, SUPRA, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, Gallant VR-4, RX-7 etc) for big van/trucks which only go to the mall. I'm glad that they brought the sports car/sport compact car back. I'm a big Impreza Sti fan myself.

Well, we also have 16 wheelers here. We need to haul a lot of stuff long distances so we aren't going to be doing this in small UPS delivery trucks. As for new concepts, the mechanical engineers at my old college have come up with these concepts for a competition. They started with a hybrid car when i was still an undergrad and converted a Chevy Suburban the year after i graduated.

http://www.team-fate.net/

Tim

Tim
                      Last edited by samurai999; 7th April 2005, 06:16 AM. Reason: added hybrid vehicle link stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by samurai999

I think one example is China. They have the worlds largest population with questionable environmental controls and they are getting cars!?? They are predicted to be the next big (biggest) market for car companies. I saw satellite images of the pollution coming out of China a couple of years back and it was unbelieveable.

Tim
                        Gulf officials: China, India boom means oil prices will stay high

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM</FONT>Friday, March 25, 2005

ABU DHABI Kuwait, bolstered by high oil prices, plans to post a record budget surplus.

The Kuwaiti Finance Ministry said total revenues in the first 11 months of the Kuwaiti year reached $27.1 billion. Kuwait had planned for an $11.25 billion for the entire year, Middle East Newsline reported. The Kuwaiti year runs from April 1 to March 31. Meanwhile, Gulf officials said the demand for oil would continue over the next few years amid accelerated development by China and India. They said the price of oil would probably hover around the $50 market for most of 2005.

Comment

utotin is very very correct, the majority of oil and steel goes to china.

Also, the number of cars in iraq has at least doubled or tripled (i forget which one ha) I do know that the reason they are not pumping a lot of oil is because their refieries are in such bad condition that it will take billions to speed them up. I read they have a potential of tripling their oil barrel output with the funding of several billion dollars.

Comment

In response to the gun issue:

The right to bear arms was included mainly because in the times of the minutemen and militias in the (at the time) "American Colonies", THEY had to provide their own weapons and ammo, so without the right to bear arms, thses erstwhile soldiers would be breaking the law during times of peace. That said, maybe it is an outdated right, but in countries where guns are MORE commonplace due to the prevalence of militarily trained personnel, chances are, common murders (not insugent activities) occur through other methods, i.e. machete, garrotte, stabbing, beatings, etc...

In response to the gas issue:

We in Canada have higher prices than in the US due to taxation (although not as high as in Europe), so that's probably why MB has just introduced the Smart Car here. Pretty cool, but wholly impractical vs. a semi...

New question:

I'm right of centre on many issues, so this is a question out to the conservatives out there. What do you think of the rising prevalence of "liberofacism/wealthy liberal guilt/lifestyle liberals" in North America. I'm talking about hose people who ask you to be accepting and tolerant of ALL their viewpoints, yet are wholly intolerant when you do not believe in their ways. Is it some sort of 80's/90's economic boom backlash where ex-hippies have been guilted into believing they have to overcompensating for "selling out"? Here in Canada, Liberals (left of centre party) are tending towards the dictatorial about many things such as social programs, issues of morality, fiscal policy, size of government, etc. where they will attempt to push through reforms and legislation without debate wherever possible. I found the same tone during the US elections with "urbanites" (read: Hollywood, and the like) when they spoke about those who leaned more towards the right. Discuss?

Comment

Actually, another question. Should you be (or have had for a prolonged period) paying taxes to have the right to vote? The premise here is, as you are a partner in contributing to government, you have a greater right to vote.

Comment

Hey, I consider a lack of response to be a forfeiture so I declare myself the winner of this polital debate by default.

YAY! I WIN, I WIN, I WIN!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X