X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pope

there are people in the states that are saying pope bennidict is a nazi... what do you think?

is he one or not!?!?!

Originally posted by geeunit000
    there are people in the states that are saying pope bennidict is a nazi... what do you think?

is he one or not!?!?!
    All I know is that the pope is half-vampire.
    Peace and Love.
    (PS. it's a inside Joke between me and GS. )

Comment

Actually the Pope is the Emperor from Star Wars... Now, you'll not just get excommunicated, you'll get Sith lightning at you as well

Comment

morons think he is a nazi because he looks evil and is german. I'm not catholic by a long shot, but I dont see why people have to be so quick for name calling.

Lets give him a bit of time beofre we dish out the namecalling

Comment

I read somewhere that when he was young he went to a nazi training camp or something like that. It doesn't make him a Nazi tho. Apparently he went there not of his own free will. I'm not catholic btw. And yeah..he does look a bit..erm..scary..heh

Comment

During WWII, participation in the Hitler Youth group was compulsory. He had no choice and participated against his will, so did his brother. His father was anti-nazi by the way. Eventually he left the group to study at the seminary.

The major jewish groups do not doubt his integrity and character, and he's never been accused to be anti-semitic. The pope isa good bloke.
            Last edited by Andoru; 4th May 2005, 01:52 PM.

Comment

The Incredible Popeman actually deserted from the German Wehrmacht (Armed Forces) in 1945. He was forced into the war in 1943, at the age of 16 or something.
              And yes, almost everyone was in Hitler Jugend, that doesn't mean you are a nazi.

Comment

Originally posted by Samanosuke
                Actually the Pope is the Emperor from Star Wars... Now, you'll not just get excommunicated, you'll get Sith lightning at you as well
                and here's the proof....

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...92303_pope.jpg

Definiately the Emperor

Comment

Judging from that picture the vatican has made the right choice. Pope Darth Sidious sounds much better then Pope John Paul II.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernKendoka
                    Judging from that picture the vatican has made the right choice. Pope Darth Sidious sounds much better then Pope John Paul II.
                    Darth Benedictus has a nice ring to it too. Now who will be his apprentice?

Comment

He's not a nazi. He's ultra-conservative, and sometimes people misuse nazi as a perjorative in that case (another explanation other than his forced service as a boy).

I disagreed strongly with JPII's policies, and I expect to disagree with Pope B as well, but I wouldn't use that term.

Comment

Perhaps we should allow Benedict to provide some benediction before we lable him? Bandying around the word nazi is way out there. How many of you are actualy familiar with his ideals? I know very little about Ratzinger, and as such I think a little bit of time is requird to see what this pope is like.

Comment

Originally posted by tattooedasshole
                          How many of you are actualy familiar with his ideals?
                          He was JPII's right-hand man for 20 years, and responsible for quite a bit of his policies, especially those keeping the traditional roles of women in the church, against birth control, etc. Nobody observing the situation expects any significant change from JPII's policies, which is why he was elected - an old, ill, place-holder pope solidly from the previous regime who's going to give them some breathing room for a few years until he dies while they decide the direction they want to go with the next guy. Of course, he might still surprise - maybe he's been nursing some big ideas all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                            He was JPII's right-hand man for 20 years, and responsible for quite a bit of his policies, especially those keeping the traditional roles of women in the church, against birth control, etc. Nobody observing the situation expects any significant change from JPII's policies, which is why he was elected - an old, ill, place-holder pope solidly from the previous regime who's going to give them some breathing room for a few years until he dies while they decide the direction they want to go with the next guy. Of course, he might still surprise - maybe he's been nursing some big ideas all these years.
                            John Paul II was unwell for many years... his health had particularly deteriorated after the assassination attempt and the onset of Parkinson's Disease...

He was an exceptionally bright man, very strong of character and knowledgeable. His views (to me) were too conservative and his support of Opus Dei and the punishment of some of the more radical left wing Liberation Theologians in South America (like Leonardo Boff) were certainly too harsh and evidence of his Conservatism.

Having said that, you have to admire his staying power and that, despite all this adversity, he remained active right up to the end of his life.

During his later years he must have come more and more to rely on his inner circle of advisors... chief among these being Cardinal Ratzinger ... Now Pope Benedict XVI... you would expect a man operating at this level for 20 years to be more than just an advisor / passive bystander... his influence must have been significant.

What am saying is that it is probably less a matter of him continuing down the path as defined by John Paul II and more a case of him continuing down his own path...

As has been said, we need to give him time... he doesn't have the avuncular, charismatic presence of John Paul II... and I can't say that I particularly welcomed the choice, but let's see how it pans out.

...and yes, I am a Roman Catholic...

cheers

Comment

here here, i am a proddie but my mum is a catholic so i am quite religious.

I think its disgusting at what people are saying/doing, he's a holy man for goodness sake, they ought to get a grip and give the man a chance.

Did i mention i am also half Italian.

Comment

Working...
                              X