X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masonry.

Are any of you on this forum Freemasons, or have ever visited a Lodge?
    Peace.
    PS. I am not a Mason or a Freemason, just curious.

http://www.grandlodge-england.org/

They wouldn't tell you here.

Best regards,

Louis

Comment

is it strange that I don't know what a freemason is?
      (because I really don't ^^)

Comment

yes its strange, i suggest you read about them.

and i would tend to go with the opinion above yours saying they wouldn't show up here to comment...its much more "underground" than that.

i trust Bouddha more. much more.

Comment

ooooh, I just did some googling, I know what masonry is, it's just an entirely different word in English...
          (well, in Dutch we also translate it literally but I didn't know what a mason was...)

So know that I know what we're talking about, I'd also be surprised if someone showed up claiming to be one...
          Last edited by nikolaj; 8th June 2005, 08:30 PM.

Comment

used to hang around with shriners when i was younger. i wasn't a member. they had bagpipe band, and i played in that band. nice bunch of folks. drinks like whale. mostly old folks who just likes to help people and hang around at the lodge a lot.

pete

Comment

Originally posted by Light Samurai
              Are any of you on this forum Freemasons, or have ever visited a Lodge?
              Peace.
              PS. I am not a Mason or a Freemason, just curious.
              Not a Freemason but I laid bricks in college....not fun. Made me appreciate my medical education that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet08
                used to hang around with shriners when i was younger. i wasn't a member. they had bagpipe band, and i played in that band. nice bunch of folks. drinks like whale. mostly old folks who just likes to help people and hang around at the lodge a lot.

pete
                yeah, thats what they want you to think!

Comment

my great grandfather was free mason. im considering it but not shure.

I would certainly like to know what huge problem some of you have with them....

Comment

Well, they said about themselves that they are not secret, just discreet (is this the right word in English?), that means that they won't tell you here.

Got a couple of friends who are, personally I'm not attracted at all, but you have to admit that they tend to be intellectually sound people.

Besides, historically they have played a key role in some critical moments in history, occidental culture owes them much.

D.

Comment

My uncle was one. I went to several functions of theirs when I was young. Never saw anything overtly strange about them. Well, the induction ceremony for some higher than average position my uncle held seemed like some kind of fantasy role playing game being played by men in suits and tuxedo's....... but other than that it seemed pretty stale and harmless.

Comment

Long time ago

Their secrecy is not that much of an item anymore, it comes from the old days where anyone denying the existence of a catholic god/church would be prosecuted and burned on a pile of wood. They have another philosophy on life that tends more to the scientific approach as to believe in certain dogmas that followers of the catholic (or other churches) need to swallow. Seeking alternatives for ultimate power has always brought them in danger (they where hunted by the nazi's in WWII also). You can now find them in your local phonebook probably as most cities have a lodge (or more) but they still try to remain discreet.

Basically: Everyone is considered a rough stone that needs polishing to build the perfect wall, this completed and perfect wall forms "heaven" or paradise on earth. They use lot's of symbology that relates to this "master build plan" (again because straight forward references in that time denying the power of the church would be very dangerous). So their secrecy was mainly keeping them alive. Ofcourse where there are rumours there are stories that tend to get exagerated and in this case the use of symbology which could (mostly) only be understood by insiders and their oppostition to the current beliefs and morals blew some of them up to mythological proportions.

Looking at the scientific approach you will not find it strange that many famous masons where architects (many of them involved in building cathedrals all over the world, oh sweet irony) scientist, artist, philosophers and leaders (industrial/countries). Their symbols can be found everywhere, from the US dollar notes (the all seeying eye) to ancient churches and in tradingcentres all over the world. Very interesting one is Rosslyn chapel in Scotland. The mason originated from the templers knights (also called the crusaders i think) which where also the founders of what we see as our modern banking system (you could cash checks of the templers all over the world instead of carrying arround a big box with gold). Probably another reason why so many famous people where brought in relation with the masons (money is still the easiest way to get famous). I mentioned Rosslyn chapel because one of the legends tell that the templers found salomons mines or maybe even the holy grale and that's why they became so powerfull (Dan Brown ). There seems to be some connection with Rosslyn chapel, ground scans proved that there is a very large room right under the building but the owners of the chapel (yes, the templers knights still) don't allow escavations or further research. Inside the chapel there are lot's of symbols that seem to form a code and a $$$ price has been rewarded to the one that breaks it. So in the end you never know, they could be holding the key to the universe also

What do you believe????

Comment

For all

Originally posted by kendomushi
                          Well, the induction ceremony for some higher than average position my uncle held seemed like some kind of fantasy role playing game being played by men in suits and tuxedo's....... but other than that it seemed pretty stale and harmless.
                          After a pretty long selection process (not everyone can become a mason) and a national referal (all lodges in the country will get to know your name) there will be a ceremony that installs you with the masons. It's pretty ancient so being blindfolded in a temple and some guy waving a sword arround with men dressed up in apron's does look a bit outdated. (sorry I forgot, on Kendo World it's pretty much the usual ) Then again, students that get installed do funny stuff, new recruits in the army have to go trough it and so on, the initiation ritual is something thats done worldwide in all kinds of forms. Mostly funny.....

Comment

Originally posted by louisvandalen
                            There seems to be some connection with Rosslyn chapel, ground scans proved that there is a very large room right under the building
                            You mean, conspiracy-nuts believe that ground scans etc etc..

Jakob

Comment

yeah, don't take davinci code too seriously...

Comment

Working...
                              X