Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knights v samurai

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/201...ing-of-swords/

I'm just glad the guy has some training in a historic form of fencing, and not just a muppet swinging a sword. The answer to this question is simple. The better fighter wins (although the school and the weapon can have an impact). I just imagine it is harder to find someone who is competent in a historic weapon-based European combat art than it is to find someone who is decent in a Japanese art, especially in Japan.

Comment

This seems to be some kind of Otaku wet-dream come true.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWiaRhQDZFE

Comment

So awful. My eyes bleed.

Comment

I think this is a better representation... I actually know a number of these guys... Though the rules for this style are kind of muppety (ie submit or be knocked down)

Comment

Originally posted by Christian1095 View Post
              I think this is a better representation... I actually know a number of these guys... Though the rules for this style are kind of muppety (ie submit or be knocked down)
              I saw the youtube video. Not something I would do...and I not only know a number of people who are competent with various European weapons...I am one of them!

Comment

There's SCA-style combat and then there's proper HEMA. I'm sure NZKP belongs in the latter category

Comment

There's SCA-style combat and then there's proper HEMA. I'm sure NZKP belongs in the latter category

Comment

I'd like to say, as a practitioner of HEMA of the last 12 years and counting, that what your viewing in no way is representative of Historic European Martial Arts. If anyone would like to check out actual HEMA and you happen to be in the NY metropolitan area, hit me up and come to a class. My group, The Long Island Historic Fencing Society, meets formally every Tuesday evening at Island Fencing Academy in Plainview NY.

Comment

Very long time I have thought that armored league was started from Japan, but now I know it was from America. LOL

Comment

Sorry, there's something about a U.S. flag flying over a bunch of people wearing what they think is reproduction Medieval armor while singing the star spangled banner that makes my eyes and ears hurt. I suppose I should just view this as any other sporting event and just shut up...as I do at the beginning of kendo tournaments in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
                          ...as I do at the beginning of kendo tournaments in the US.
                          Huh, well whadya know? I always thought it was just me that found the whole "national anthem" ceremony at the beginning of Kendo shiai to be ..... kinda weird. At least for me anyway.

Comment

This thread seems to have been hijacked but there is not much going on with the forum these days so I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in. I can understand how some would view playing the American national anthem at a kendo event odd, but think about it for a second. Kendo, at least in the SE US has become a very ethnically diverse activity. I think there are five different races of people at my dojo alone. Even though all of us come from very different backgrounds we have found something in common through kendo. What could possibly be more American than that?

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                              What could possibly be more American than that?
                              You're saying, in other words, that America is the only thing that can unite people of different races.
                              My reply is: Don't even think of going there.
                              If a stern warning isn't enough to dissuade you, allow me to remind you that it's neither the US flag nor the US national anthem that are consistently honoured in every Olympic closing ceremony.
                              Last edited by Anorymous; 17th September 2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X