Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Sensei doesn't like velcro and plastic buckles. What should I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott H View Post
    You know, I have to admit, it's been a while since we had a good Flame thread.
    May I ask what's that supposed to mean? I was confused with how kendo works since I'm a technical kind of guy. I only concentrated on the "questionable" design of the armor.

That is my last question for here.

Comment

Easy. It was a thread started with a post designed to tick people off, not as much because of the content as it was because of style. Some people like to participate in a thread like this, and others like to watch.

Comment

there are reasons why certain things are called "traditional". if that's now what you want, there are other things you can do. it's great that new innovation and all that is coming into kendo, but at certain point,it won't be kendo any more if all sort of funny things are incorporated to it.

kendo like many other martial art, is not just hitting each other with bamboo stick. it's all those small processes which make this a unique art. take that away.. and you take away certain something that can not be replaced.

Comment

I don't really think kendo is all that traditional, given all the changes over the years. If you are looking for unchanging tradition, you go study koryu, not gendai budo.

A fair number of non-japanese fetishize some aspects of martial arts.

Comment

I know who this guy is.........I know his sensei and highly doubt he will be in Kendo all that long anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Joji View Post
              Regarding the men, I'd like to try putting it on again. Perhaps I can practice at my secondary Sensei's house
              I'm confused... Why not practice putting on the men at home? ( O_o)

Originally posted by Sampson View Post
              I know who this guy is.........I know his sensei and highly doubt he will be in Kendo all that long anyway
              Congratulations... I guess?
              Last edited by Herringbone; 28th July 2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

When I first started kendo I have to admit I had some of the same thoughts about the bogu. Why the heck are we using all these outdated fasteners, etc. A couple years down the road I think I understand more. Kendo is as much art as sport. Its at least as much about the journey as the result. All the traditional stuff in kendo really is an integral part of it.

As for improvements- I always wondered why we couldn't use a system like the leon paul fencing masks have.

Its fantastic. snug and feels great. I'm sure you could dress it up to blend in with bogu somehow. Not really seriously saying we should change. Just its a great retention system.

Comment

Yes, you are not wrong but your sensei is also not wrong. It is your choice, if you do not want to be trained by him, you can move. Sensei is a teacher and he has his own way to train his students.

Comment

Coming in a bit late but just in case anyone is interested, as a former solder, Velcro replaced some buckles and buttons on some parts of military uniforms to dues to NBC (Nuclear Biological Chemical) protective equipment. The complaint from soldiers was they were unable to undo or do-up items because of the thick gloves you have to wear. Trust me, they are a pig, think rubber Kote…. Anyway, at least when I was serving, and Velcro was being brought in, it was pretty much despised because of the noise it made which might make you a target especially at night. That is why quite a lot of squaddies would remove the Velcro and sew on big buttons, using elastic loops to fasten.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruleslawyer View Post
                      When I first started kendo I have to admit I had some of the same thoughts about the bogu. Why the heck are we using all these outdated fasteners, etc. A couple years down the road I think I understand more. Kendo is as much art as sport. Its at least as much about the journey as the result. All the traditional stuff in kendo really is an integral part of it.

As for improvements- I always wondered why we couldn't use a system like the leon paul fencing masks have.

Its fantastic. snug and feels great. I'm sure you could dress it up to blend in with bogu somehow. Not really seriously saying we should change. Just its a great retention system.

Interesting that you should mention this from Leon Paul. I have a lot of experience of that fastening device because my fencing mask uses it. Though it is very good, it isn't without flaws and many fencers hate it. If you don't sweat much, its really secure. If however you sweat a lot, then the velcro doesn't stay 'stuck'. It also doesn't prevent the mask from twisting from a heavy impact eg kote in the face. For kendo, I would choose the himo every time.

Comment

because f*** traditions in my personal Canadian opinion.
                        Joji, if you are serious about getting involved in mechanical engineering, especially mechanical design...speaking to you as a mechanical engineer.....this is the absolute wrong attitude to have.

its good to see that you are motivated, but unfortunately for 99% of industry.......mechanical engineering now is pretty much the same as it was 60-70 years ago....most of what you are going to be working on is likely to utilize legacy work...and most companies are going to go with what they know works.....they arent going to venture out side that boundary unless they have a good need to........you ARE going to use a lot of "traditional" methods for the majority of your work........not everything requires CarboTanium and 3D printed parts......

the saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it" is going to be gospel....i feel that also applies in this case.

now someone correct me if im wrong.....but Bogu really has remained essentially unchanged for the past 150 years or so........if there were anything terribly wrong with the design, im guessing it would have changed by now, before it became 'tradition'......

it does seem to me that you are looking to change something, then find an excuse to rationalize it.

also from another perspective....assuming your sensei does give you the green light to modify your bogu.....and you end up getting injured...there is a potential liability on him......like i said, engineers stick to what they know works.......your sensei knows traditional Bogu is safe to use, however he DOES NOT know the effect your modifications will have, and whether it will be safe for you to use.
                        Last edited by Mcameron; 4th September 2014, 05:01 AM.

Comment

2014, wow, I missed this thread.

Comment

testing testing

Comment

Working...
                            X