X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this hard to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYV21XsyyKs

Hi, I'm new here.
    I have been researching on Shinkageryu dojo in US recently and I just found this video on their site.
    Does this dojo teach Shinkageryu?
    Is it hard to trust though a metal plate and chain mail with katana?

It looks cool to me. but I have never cut anything, so not exactly sure how hard it is to do this...

~~Hi, I'm new here.
    Hi!

~~ have been researching on Shinkageryu dojo in US recently and I just found this video on their site.
    Gave a quick look at the video, just long enough to recognize Al Kilgore. There's been lots written about Al Kilgore, do a search for him.

~~Does this dojo teach Shinkageryu?
    No, they don't teach Shinkage ryu.

Is it hard to trust though a metal plate and chain mail with katana?
    Depends on a lot of factors such as thickness of the plate or mail rings, how solid the backing is, etc ... The bottom line is that it's a stupid thing to do as that's not what the sword is for. People do things like that strictly for the impression factor, so they can impress people with little or no knowledge about swordsmanship. Guess it works. :-)

Comment

Not that hard to thrust through all that material when you've got a transfixed target with absolutely no give, and plenty of time to wind up and put all your power into a thrust. Then there's the issue of, okay, you've thrust your sword four inches through armor, presumably into a person made of soft, spongy tissues. Now what are you going to do if that person has a friend? In real Shinkage-ryu, we thrust to the throat or face, no matter the opponent is armored or unarmored. Those are the best targets for doing serious damage without getting your sword stuck. Thrusting through armor isn't a high percentage technique.

Comment

Al Kilgore...now there's a name I've not heard in a great many years...a great many years. Here's a thread that gives some feeling for what he's about:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/for...ara-dojo-of-mn

Comment

Well, I can tell you they used the wrong chainmail at least. They used butted mail. Real mail would have be riveted. Butted mail is extremely easy to thrust through as there is practically no resistance to the expansion of the links. As it happens, I owned a euro pattern 4 in 1 riveted mail. It was a cheap indian repro and I had to cut off a section for sizing which I then used for test cutting. Its extremely hard to cut or thrust through even as a fixed target. I was using a 15th arming sword for this which is more slanted to anti-armor performance than a katana would be.

I can speculate that the plate is also a thin gauge mild steel plate not consistent with what would have actually be used in real armor. In any real situation a sword is a pretty ineffective weapon vs plate armor. I don't care if its a katana or a western sword that really would have been matched against that type of armor. Swords were used against gaps in the armor or poorly armored armsmen and conscripts.

Not sure what they are trying to demonstrate. If its bullshido, or just a miss understanding of what they are trying to demonstrate. I'm less familar with japanese armor, but it doesn't seem appropriate either way.

Comment

Working...
          X