Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Why do people post their BS on Youtube, etc.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion: Why do people post their BS on Youtube, etc.?

This is a serious question that I have been thinking about lately. If someone wants to make up their own style and try to sell it as a legitimate art, then why do they post videos of what they are doing on the internet where they run the risk of being exposed by legitimate practitioners? It seems counter productive to me, I would think that they would advocate secrecy among their students in order to keep up the illusion that what they are doing is legitimate and not risk public ridicule.

I would guess it's the same logic why we still get spam saying there is loads of money waiting for us in some forgotten account in some far away country. It's a numbers game. Better to get in 100 people and sucker 2 who are desperate to believe than stay quiet and have 0 students. Besides, comments can be turned off and human history is littered (and still full of) widely known but persistent bad ideas. People see what they want to see.

Comment

I agree with dillon. Also when they are exposed, first one to defend the mentioned style will be those students ( meaning the victims) themselves. People don't want to admit that they have been taken for a ride. So criticism from legitimate practitioners would only serve to strengthening the group unless presented with easly understandable hard evidence (which is very difficult to come by).

Comment

You make the assumption that these people know the difference between reality and fantasy
        Last edited by rfoxmich; 2nd March 2015, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
          You make the assumption that these people know the difference between reality and fantasy
          I don't blame the ones who don't know the difference. If someone really thought what they were doing was awesome and groundbreaking, then of course they would want to share it with everyone else. I'm talking about the people who know they aren't doing anything good, but are just trying to make money from unsuspecting victims.

Comment

A lot of people want exactly what is being advertised in those videos, an amazing secret martial art that they can join and be exclusive at. If they wanted martial arts chances are there's a judo dojo within reach and a karate dojo on the corner.

Kim.

Comment

Playing devil's advocate, today's freshly evacuated bovine faeces could be tomorrows legitimate art! Don't you think that when a splinter group forms, those who stick with the original, protest that the splinter group is merely a ruminant's manure? But over the years perhaps it matures into something profound. Wado Ryu from Shotokan, Tomiki Aikido from Ueshiba Aikido, McBusted from McFly and Busted etc

I think these sorts of YouTube postings are simply exhibitionism. We live in a society which celebrates showing off the tedious minutiae of its member's lives. We have status updates on Face-Ache, meaningless drivel on Twatter, banal photos on Instashite.....who gives a monkey's? "Not me!" we all chorus but somebody does because these platforms are creaking with the weight of followers. If they give meaning to the meaningless, pleasure to the unpleasant or satisfaction to the insatiable then perhaps the rest of us should just rise above it or at the very least have a good laugh at their expense!

Comment

I have a weekly ritual where I trawl YouTube for new Kendo videos. Sometimes I find great stuff. Real stuff. Sometimes though? I find hilarious, facepalm-y, awful stuff.

However, I find that I enjoy the awful stuff in a weird way. Aside from being entertaining in their absurdity, part of me also feels these things are a kind of validation that I'm not involved in some goofy fantasist shit.

So, in a way, I'm glad people do this weird stuff. It's a kind of back-firing narcissism.

Comment

Kokoro777, the assumption you put forward is splintering off from something (presumably legitimate). But alot of bullshido is not the result of splintering. One cannot divide by zero. Ohers are the result of superficial understanding from an ex-student while yet others are deliberate money making constructs by people who should know better. A legitimate splintering is not a problem (just look at our own MSR).

Comment

How far do you go before you call it a splinter? Is MSR really that different from MJER? It depends where you're looking at it I think, if it's just the physical movements of the kata then there's a lot of splinter MJER groups out there. We look at the seitei forms (ZNKR and ZNIR) and assume everything should be done to one standard.

I'd say MSR is the name for MJER as done by those who can trace back to Nakayama s. Same kata, alternate names maybe, different order sometimes but same kata underneath it all.

Kim

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM

Comment

This one is always a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzh9koy7b1E&t=24

Comment

~~Playing devil's advocate, today's freshly evacuated bovine faeces could be tomorrows legitimate art! Don't you think that when a splinter group forms, those who stick with the original, protest that the splinter group is merely a ruminant's manure? But over the years perhaps it matures into something profound. Wado Ryu from Shotokan, Tomiki Aikido from Ueshiba Aikido, McBusted from McFly and Busted etc
                          Please search youtube for Ashida Kim, then we'll evaluate if it could be a legitimate art (I can't get there from work). Not only his stuff ridiculous, but he's had a goodly number of followers for years. There are quite a number of others out there that have absolutely nothing to do with reality.
                          Last edited by pgsmith; 17th March 2015, 03:35 AM. Reason: type O

Comment

Ashida Kim!!! I now know where the basis of 'Enter the Dojo' comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro777 View Post
                              Ashida Kim!!! I now know where the basis of 'Enter the Dojo' comes from.

The scariest part is that he's made a living from this for quite a number of years, and still has a large following. There's actually a great number of people that are more interested in super secret societies that they can be part of rather than live in the boring real world.

To each their own I guess, but they do make some entertaining videos!

Comment

Working...
                              X