X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest sword style...

Hey, I was looking around at sword styles and saw Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu, and when I did some research I found things that said how they were/are the best sword styles around. Is there any truth to this? And if so which one is the better? Also, what sword style is the most "legendary"?

As far as which is better, it all depends on the person. One person might say that Kenjutsu is the best art while others will say that Iaijutsu is the one. It all depends on if that particular art does what they are looking for.

Comment

Do a lot more research.

Comment

http://www.koryu.com/guide/ryuguide.html

Maybe this will help you get started on some quality research.

Comment

I am by no means a "know-it-all" nor do I claim to have any great understanding of the sword but I feel the need to make a few...clarifications for you anti-masterx.

Kenjutsu is the method of handling a sword once it is drawn and out of the scabbard. Iaijutsu is, specifically, the art of drawing the sword and making an effective cut, in one and the same motion. So in essence, they are not sword styles but rather methods of using or training with the sword.

Now if you want to talk styles the Ryuha guide will be your best start, but I would caution against the typical "Which is the best sword style?" because everyone will say that the style they practice is the best and you're not going to find the answer you seek. Plainly stated the best sword style is the one in which you find the answer to the one question: Why do you practice Japanese Sword?

Hope this helps.

Comment

Furocious Earthic
            ...Formerly known as Aquatic Windu...

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
              Furocious Earthic
              ...Formerly known as Aquatic Windu...
              I second that!

Comment

Probably a good idea not to continue as you'll probably be painfully flamed here. Kind of goes along the "katana vs English longsword" or "samurai vs fencer" debate. Really goes nowhere except in circles. Suffice it to say, depends on the swordsman (sorry ...person) and the purpose. May not be what you expected in an answer, but if we stop early enough, nothing regretable can be said.

Comment

I second that notion.

Comment

there really isn't a "strongest art". They all have their ups and downs. iaido is powerful, yeah, but it relys on single strike attacks, where as kendo is move versitile, but it can take multiple strikes to finish a duel (in real life). How good a style is depends soley on the users skill and how its used.

Comment

Asking people in general what the best art is never really works. Martial arts is like religion. People always think that the one they practice is the one true path and the only way. You get allot of that on this forum I'm sorry to say.

My best advice is to look around, do you research and find something that fits you. If you like sport and traditionalism.. try Kendo..or Iaido or both. If you want to learn to fight with a sword for real ..Try Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu.

Kendo is by far the easiest to find and easiest to confirm lagitimacy (though there are plenty of "legit" rotten eggs out there)

Kenjutsu is very hard to find and has even more rotten eggs then Kendo. Check that closely when you go in.

Basicly just use your common sense, if it looks and feels bogus it probubly is.

Good luck to ya

Comment

They all have their ups and downs, listen to the ninja, he is a master.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjamster15
                          iaido is powerful, yeah, but it relys on single strike attacks, where as kendo is move versitile, but it can take multiple strikes to finish a duel (in real life).
                          It seems obvious that you don't do Iaido. There are very few waza that I've seen and done that contain only one strike, the great majority of them have one or more followup cuts.

Kendo is more versatile? How so, when you only have 4 target areas? Because you can keep hammering away at teki?

I must say, you have a very interesting profile... Have you thought of trying to find someone to teach you? Perhaps some training in one of the arts would help temper your ideas about them.

Comment

Oi, Ninjamaster - it says you are self-taught in enmei ryu? Can you tell us more about that style?

[quiet everyone...]

As for the thread, a kenjutsuka with no iai skills would get his 'nads chopped off pretty quickly, and an iaidoka with no kenjutsu skills better get it right first time...

Comment

splice and scott, dont be mean to him, he will assassinate you

Comment

Working...
                              X