Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entitlement ...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The opinions are all food for thought, but please don't serve it on broken or dirty plates. It decreases my appetite and I'll complain without tasting the food.
    I'm going to steal that one Mingshi! I like it.
    Bit arrogant to assume that five years of life makes you somehow superior to those younger than you, isnt it?
    Not superior, just more experienced. A kid that is 10 years old understands things a lot better than a kid that is five years old. This is due to his five extra years worth of experience. What makes you so sure that this changes just because it's 15 and 20 or 20 and 25 instead of 5 and 10?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pgsmith
      I'm going to steal that one Mingshi! I like it.

      Not superior, just more experienced. A kid that is 10 years old understands things a lot better than a kid that is five years old. This is due to his five extra years worth of experience. What makes you so sure that this changes just because it's 15 and 20 or 20 and 25 instead of 5 and 10?
      then again, that extra five years of experience may have no impact on valuable life experience. Your making an assumption you cannot guarantee the validity of. In reality, that five years has no bearing whatsoever on most peoples opinions, or there ability to make them. As I said, its a bit arrogant to assume the superiority of age is a fact and not a theory.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by drizzt
        then again, that extra five years of experience may have no impact on valuable life experience. Your making an assumption you cannot guarantee the validity of. In reality, that five years has no bearing whatsoever on most peoples opinions, or there ability to make them. As I said, its a bit arrogant to assume the superiority of age is a fact and not a theory.
        Hee. If I may summarize, "I am SO an adult!"

        Look, every generation figures they've got all the answers already in their late teens, and for each of those generations their parents are quietly amused at this. Why do you think this is? You figure every adult forgets how wise, informed and mature they were when they were 19? Or is it more plausible that we are all laughing at our former selves?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
          Hee. If I may summarize, "I am SO an adult!"

          Look, every generation figures they've got all the answers already in their late teens, and for each of those generations their parents are quietly amused at this. Why do you think this is? You figure every adult forgets how wise, informed and mature they were when they were 19? Or is it more plausible that we are all laughing at our former selves?
          After being around people that have corrected me so many times and are always seemingly right, I've accepted the fact that I am pretty much empty-headed in the ways of the world. So here I be, KWF! Feed me your knowledge!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
            Hee. If I may summarize, "I am SO an adult!"

            Look, every generation figures they've got all the answers already in their late teens, and for each of those generations their parents are quietly amused at this. Why do you think this is? You figure every adult forgets how wise, informed and mature they were when they were 19? Or is it more plausible that we are all laughing at our former selves?
            Like I said, using age as a basis for intelligence, and for a variable in determining wether a hypothesis or opinion is correct is not only arrogant, but is scientificaly and logicaly unsound, and is more than a bit arrogant.

            By your own logic, if you had to haver surgery performed tonight, you would rather have an older doctor operate, than a younger one, even though the younger may have a few hundred more of that particular surgery under his belt. However for you thats irrelevant, the older man MUST have more experience, simply because he is older.

            See i have issues with reasoning like that, but i guess im just young and dumb huh?

            Comment


            • #21
              You are talking about academic experience and it is totally different with life experience. When I was 18, I was involved in a fight which I would walk away. Now if the situation is the same, I would walk away. That means I am more experience than I was. Since I was 17 until now, I see so many "cause and affect" things that I am always think before saying something. I was not smarter than I was but I am more experience.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by drizzt
                See i have issues with reasoning like that, but i guess im just young and dumb huh?
                Not so much dumb as inexperienced. We were talking about life in general. But yeah, without knowing any specifics (like how many of a particular operation each has done) I'll take the older doctor, so long as he's kept up with things. I've dealt with enough know-it-all interns who screw up to realise that a medical degree is no guarantee - you need some experience to back it up.

                OTOH there's lots of younger people who have stuff to teach me, too. Just because I'm older doesn't mean I know everything. But as the OP said, just because you have an opinion doesn't make it valuable.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Like I said, using age as a basis for intelligence, and for a variable in determining wether a hypothesis or opinion is correct is not only arrogant, but is scientificaly and logicaly unsound, and is more than a bit arrogant.
                  You see, this is just your opinion. You are young, inexperienced, and don't bother to proof read your posts before you submit them. Therefore, your opinions carry much less weight than Neil's since he is more experienced, and checks his spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure before submitting his post.

                  See how it works!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    My opinions will obviously be less weighty than, say, a 40-year-old man's . . . But does that make my opinion wrong, or not worth listening to? If it comes to an ethical issue, if for instance the forty year old is a racist, narcissistic fool, I think my opinion might be worth listening to over his.

                    I am young and inexperienced, yes, but aren't there certain times when my opinion can be just as valuable as someone else's?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Trying to operate on low batteries.

                      Originally posted by Denker
                      My opinions will obviously be less weighty than, say, a 40-year-old man's . . . But does that make my opinion wrong, or not worth listening to? If it comes to an ethical issue, if for instance the forty year old is a racist, narcissistic fool, I think my opinion might be worth listening to over his.

                      I am young and inexperienced, yes, but aren't there certain times when my opinion can be just as valuable as someone else's?
                      Only when something that doesn't involve life experience is encountered. Which is pretty rare...so I'm in the same boat as you are, man, you're not alone. Who's to say what credibility this 40-year-old man you speak of has? I mean...if he's an expert on the subject and is a reputable source, then his opinion does matter over mine or yours and a lot of people...be it as racist or narcissistic as he is.
                      Last edited by Andou; 10th September 2005, 08:22 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by pgsmith
                        You see, this is just your opinion. You are young, inexperienced, and don't bother to proof read your posts before you submit them. Therefore, your opinions carry much less weight than Neil's since he is more experienced, and checks his spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure before submitting his post.

                        See how it works!
                        No see, you are a prude...nmind im not gonna fight with you. By your own reasoning, you win anyway.

                        Im just going to stop while im not angry, but I will say this. I've heard the excuse from one to many people that experience in life is everything.....and ive had one to many close calls with things going wrong becasue some "adult"(since a 20 yr old man is obviously not an adult) thinks they now what theyre doing. Im going to stop now, and pretend I havent realised just how arrogant some of the members of this forum are about there age and inteligence
                        Last edited by drizzt; 10th September 2005, 01:19 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by drizzt
                          No see, you are a prude...nmind im not gonna fight with you. By your own reasoning, you win anyway.

                          Im just going to stop while im not angry, but I will say this. I've heard the excuse from one to many people that experience in life is everything.....and ive had one to many close calls with things going wrong becasue some "adult"(since a 20 yr old man is obviously not an adult) thinks they now what theyre doing. Im going to stop now, and pretend I havent realised just how arrogant some of the members of this forum are about there age and inteligence
                          You're fighting a losing battle here. No matter how you try and skew it, to a very large extent age equals experience. Is this the be-all and end-all of it, no. There are cases where younger people will have valid opinions, however, the opinions of those with more experience far outweigh theirs. Why? Because, they aren't making their judgment on a few hours of understanding, but years. Which, in most cases, we of less age just dont have.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Your right im fighting a losing battle, but its more from the fact age=arrogance and not necessarily form age=experience.

                            I quit, yall are as bad as berugijin with hi "im right becasue i am" arguments in a religious debates.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Yeah drizzt, everyone ELSE is crazy. Its funny how whenever you're wrong you always pull the 'you guys are so mean, you say you're right and I'm wrong and boohoohoo'. It's getting old...

                              I have to say I agree to an extent with the viewpoint that the older you get the funnier the young you becomes.

                              Take me for example, I did some STUPID, dangerous, crack-brained things while I was 19, and when I was 15!?!?!? I was the biggest loser dumbass I could possibly imagine! I sometimes I look back and can't beleive I'm the same person.

                              However at the time I thought I was money and could do no wrong. Which tells me that in 5 years I'm going to look back and say the same thing about when I was 20... guess all we can do is enjoy the ride

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Now your going to make fun of me? original....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X