Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That's what we hear all the time. That's what we all grew up with. I personally believe that it is absolutely true. Everyone has their own opinion based upon their own experiences. However, and there's always a however, not everyone's opinion is equal! Too many people (usually young and inexperienced) assume that since they are entitled to their opinion, it has the same weight as everyone else's. This is not true. Everybody's opinions are weighted by their expertise and knowledge of the subject, as well as the amount of experience that they bring. Many people have a very hard time understanding this. They feel that since they have an opinion, and they always do, that it should be heard and listened to. These people often get upset when they are dismissed out of hand as not having enough weight in their opinions to make them worth listening to.

I think that the world would work a lot better if those with knowledge and experience would contribute where they can, and those without knowledge or experience would try a little harder to learn.

Just my opinions, others may vary.

Alright gentlemen,

I want you listen to REFFEREE. I want a clean fight, no low punch.

LET GET IT ON

Comment

Originally posted by pgsmith

That's what we hear all the time. That's what we all grew up with. I personally believe that it is absolutely true. Everyone has their own opinion based upon their own experiences. However, and there's always a however, not everyone's opinion is equal!
      Sure, I think it's easy to agree to this. Everyone can have an opinion, but whether the opinion is right or wrong is a different matter.

I've been practicing iaido for 2 years and kendo for a little less than 1 year. I don't answer any technical questions unless they're about tying your keikogi. There are many more people on here who are much more qualified to answer technical questions than me. I do wish the people just starting out would refrain from trying to answer - it just looks stupid.

Hank.

Comment

you know, there was an easier way to say this(IMO LOL).....opinions are like asshole, everybody has one and most of them stink

You have those you discussed, then you have the ones who beleive the only opinion the world is entitled to is the one that agrees with theres. Thus you get the great debate ending statements of "im right, you wrong, and no amount of logic or evidence is going to stop me from trying to make fun of you"

Comment

Serious though,

It is better to have opinion with heavy weight than just open the mouth and say something stupid. Since the forum means no one seeing anyone that make people think they can say anything they want. Don't they know that if you don't get the hidden respect, how can you get a real respect from people surround you? Does anyone know the real meaning of Hachi-Kyu Sensei?

Comment

Most definetly. I think it's really important to have an opinion on things. Things that you are knowledgable at least. I've done my best to pass on any information that I've come across to anyone willing to listen. I mean...I'm not even graded yet so I'm not sure if anyone will really take anything I say seriously; but, I'll give what I can. And as far as this goes... all I can say is that there are some guys around that're giving 16/17 year olds a really...really bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by Andou
              all I can say is that there are some guys around that're giving 16/17 year olds a really...really bad name.
              Naw, more like confirming our suspicions.

Comment

Originally posted by pgsmith

...However, and there's always a however, not everyone's opinion is equal! Too many people (usually young and inexperienced) assume that since they are entitled to their opinion, it has the same weight as everyone else's. This is not true. ...

Just my opinions, others may vary.
                I agree, disagree, and agree, repsectively. Allow me to share my opinion on opinions...

All opinions have the same weight--none; they are not physical.

Opinions are judged by the recipient. It is up to the recipient of the opinion to determine it's value and correctness. A recipient draws on their knowledge, experience, and the opinions of others to form an judgement of a given opinion.

A completely wrong opinion formed by someone with no knowledge may seem plausible or even correct to someone with the same level of ignorance, yet it will be obvious to someone with experience and knowledge of the matter.

For example: A 17 year old might think that some 16/17 year olds are giving them a bad reputation, and use the opinions of some others to support that opinion. Some of us older people may use our experience and knowledge to recall that we may not have been very bright while we honestly though we were great at 16/17. Likewise we can use the opinions of others with experience and the expression of the opinions of those 16/17 year olds to confirm such an opinion.

Comment

Someone once said something like: "When I was 17, my parents were the dumbest people on earth. They magically got a whole lot smarter when I was 25."

There are very few people more offended than a 17 year old who feels he's not being treated like an adult. Movies and TV are full of dumb parents and the kids who outsmart them. That reflects reality about as well as movies and TV usually do.

I know I used to bristle when my dad would call his students "kids" (he's a college prof who usually teaches 3rd and 4th year courses). Now I see what he means. We're all works in progress, but until you're out of your mid-20s you're seriously under construction. Or as my dad puts it, "too soon old, too late smart".
                  Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 9th September 2005, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                    Or as my dad puts it, "too soon old, too late smart".
                    I like this, thats good. I'm gonna plagerise your dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                      Someone once said something like: "When I was 17, my parents were the dumbest people on earth. They magically got a whole lot smarter when I was 25."
                      the version i know is " the older i get.. the smarter my parents become " .. been cracking me up for years since i first heard it

Comment

I guess most of us here have good parents. I do. I know for a fact that a lot of kids around here take their parents for granted. But then, I know some of the parents around here don't even deserve it. It really makes me wonder how some kids with terrible parents turn out to be some of the nicest people, but some with the nicest parents turn out to be terrible people. I suppose that kids with bad/no parental guidance learn lessons out for themselves, but I don't know...I just wonder how some people turn out the way they do.

Comment

I could say that I just throw my opinion out there for it to be corrected, because I'm so willing to learn and all... But that would be a lie, now wouldn't it?

Comment

Yeah I agree.

But still, that doesn't mean people can ignore the importance of using proper grammar and legible spellings (and I am not talking about occational typos). I treat KWF like a quality restaurant. The opinions are all food for thought, but please don't serve it on broken or dirty plates. It decreases my appetite and I'll complain without tasting the food.

Here's my comment as a spelling detective.

Comment

Bit arrogant to assume that five years of life makes you somehow superior to those younger than you, isnt it?

Oh lord, the spelling Nazi's have arrived.

Comment

Working...
                              X